2004 R1150R Slave Cylinder Replacement

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by UT R1150R, Jul 19, 2014.

1. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the middle of replacing the clutch, rear main seals, slave cylinder and transmission input and output shaft seals on my 2004 R1150R (50,000 miles).

I've been successful removing all of those seals with the exception of the one at the slave cylinder. This one is recessed about 2.5" so I'm trying to figure out how to remove it without damaging the ID of the transmission case.

I've considered drilling 2 small holes, threading screws into the holes and them pulling on them but due to the small size of the seal, I speculate it will just end up putting two larger holes in the seal.

Any hot tips / advice on how to do this?

Thanks! :freaky
  2. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with it. I failed in all my attempts and ended up sending the box to Ted Porter.
  3. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found it easy to pull that seal. You need a slide hammer. Drill the seal. Set a long sheet metal screw. Rig something to grab the head with the slide hammer. Comes out surprising easy this way. Never had any luck trying to ever it out.
  4. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
  5. Bluecomet

Bluecomet What, me worry?

Oddometer:
    I pulled that seal out of my 1200gs with a good set of picks. Used one with a 90 degree or hook and was able to wiggle it around the rubber inside edge of the seal. Moved around the seal pulling at multiple points. Came out without too much effort. Good luck!
  6. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have removed with the screw method. Steady even pull will do it.

Be sure NOT to bottom the new seal (as some would suggest). The back side of the bearing needs access to oil from the transmision thru an oil slot in the case.
    Contrary to popular belief, the transmission are not simply sealed bearings but are of the "TM" type which have special seals to allow ingress of oil.
    Below is a sketch of the seal driver I use.

[​IMG]

And here is a picture of the oil slot
    [​IMG]
  7. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!!

:beer