Poor Man Uraling the U.S.A.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stitchergary, Apr 15, 2009.

1. stitchergary

stitchergary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm already a day behind schedule but I need to make some attempt to make this official. Here's the plan. I'm going to take off tomorrow with the 2007 Ural Patrol from my home in Northern NY, up near the Canadian border, and travel first to Front Royal Virginia and get on the Skyline Drive and then the Blue Ridge Parkway. This will take me down to Cherokee North Carolina. From there my destination will be the Barber Vintage Museum in Birmingham Alabama and then mosy west to Arkansas and then to my brother's place in Missouri. If I survive that I'll head further west to Utah, checking out the national parks and head north through Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana before heading west again to Washington, Oregon, and California. This will entail staying in a tent almost every night and getting my eats from the grocery store. Why? Because I can't afford to stay in motels and eat in restaurants and do the jouney of a lifetime. How might this be a problem??

This was a picture I took in front of my house 6 days ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't look like nice motorcycle and camping weather does it??

So, in the last couple days it's warmed up some from our normal 25F nights to about 55F each day. Been doing some maintenance on the bike including lubing the shaft splines, torquing the head bolts, adjusting the valves, changing the fluids out, installing the windshield, and attempting to get everything sorted and packed away.

I also did this a couple days ago:
    **Warning to Mr. Cob: if you might be viewing this report** Please, I don't want to be responsible for your mental well being so please close your eyes and scroll to the bottom of the page!!!!!!!!! This is not a test, it's the real thing!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, with that done I lined up some of my luggage I'll be taking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Everything from my tent, sleeping bag, self-inflating foam pad, ammo boxes, waterproof bags, laptop, stove, lantern, gas can, and tank bag. I think that's a good start but who knows what's going to be needed on a trip like this??

So, you probably thought I was showing you my starting mileage but no, I was showing you my nice manicure. See??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, since it shows my starting mileage of 13,515 we'll go ahead and make the official.

In my quest to come into the technological hayday I figured out how to do a time delay picture. Don't laugh, this was a major accomplishment for me. I'm a techno dunce

[​IMG]
  2. stitchergary

stitchergary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So after seeing my self portrait via digital camera I'm having 2nd thoughts about my route. I think I should stop at the Ford Modeling Agency in NYC because I'm sure they have the wisdom to sign me as one of their models for a stupendous salary. I won't be poor any more. Living the rich life hobknobing with the well to do. Ok, I agree. For my fellow ADV riders I'll stick to the original plans of tenting and sandwiches. No big city life for me. Actually, since I live in a small town any big city is intimidating. I like the slow and backcountry life.

So, my next plan of action was to figure out how my tent was erected. I used it last time two years ago on my trip from Northern NY through Vermont, to the top of Mount Washingtin, NH, across to Bar Harbor, Maine, took "The Cat" ferry to Yarmouth, Novia Scotia and stopped to see Lutz and the Halifax Ural dealership. I also met Craig from Prince Edward Island that contributes a lot to the Ural community.
    L to R Craig, Lutz, Me, Gary (I think a diet is in order)
    [​IMG]
    I then went north to New Brunswick and then west back home. 2,200 miles and never had a problem for 1 second.

Back to the tent thing. Of course I no longer had the directions. And 2 years is well beyond my memory expiration date so here I am.

[​IMG]

So does A connect to B or was that C connects to D or was it the shin bone connects to the ankle bone or, never mind, for once the grey cells won out and the results of my efforts are well documented.

So anyways I'm trying to figure out how the fly attaches over the tent. The wind is blowing it around every time I make an attempt at positioning it. I have it on the ground with one knee holding it down and out of the corner of my eye about 2 inches from the side of my face is this character.
    [​IMG]
    He scared the bejeebes out of me. Never heard the dog come up from behind. Stood there like, "whatcha lookin at?" I jumped back and the dog starts running around like it's play time. I like to be the source of entertainment but I really didn't want to have a heart attack before my big ride. Once I rubbed his back we were now friends and all was well.

[​IMG]

After my blood pressure leveled off I completed my task. I should have been an engineer I'm so brilliant. I'm not going admit that the package of tent stakes is somewhere underneath the tent. No, I'll never admit to that stupidity....And there were no witnesses, so it didn't happen..

Just a sad note on the next pic... I'm kind of a neophyte on the big ride report. Actually this is the only ride report I've ever done. No ADV sticker to prove I'm worthy. Tonight I'll pray to the ADV god for safe passage anyways. I hope, as internet connects allow, to update this ride so anyone interested can take a hack seat with me. It's truely an exciting time to think of doing what will probably be the only time in my life to do such a memorable trip seeing the sights, and more importantly, making friends across our wonderful country.
    [​IMG]
  3. White Tenere

White Tenere 49 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! I guess I came out of "lurk" mode just in time for this.
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  6. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip and keep us posted. We all wish we were riding with you. If you make it to Oregon you have a place to stay.
  7. CateRides

CateRides n00b

Oddometer:
    best of luck! Dress super warm, there's a lot of that white stuff! And if you are looking for camping there are some great spots in Eastern Oregon near Crater lake, and just inside Nor. CA you need to stay at on the Smith River (also a great road). The other not to miss part of nor cal is hwy 299 and 96 (which is off of 299)- also great camping although they did have a LOT of fires last year.
  8. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:

Good Luck! If you get a chance in Al. go to Mt. Cheeha state park, great views and camping. :D
  9. Burrito Bandito

Burrito Bandito burrito eater

Oddometer:

good luck!

if you make out my way, I'll buy you a beer.
  10. KSGregman

KSGregman Flying Close to the Sun

Oddometer:
    Outstanding!

Good luck....look forward to reading/watching your progress.
  11. Wooderson

Wooderson Adventurer

Oddometer:

Best of luck and I look forward to armchairing along with you on your trip.
  12. roninwva

roninwva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting. I'm onboard. :lurk
  13. zane121

zane121 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a blast! I have tent space at the house and tools if needed. Eastern WA about 45 miles from Idaho border on I 90..
  14. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    :lurk more, more, more.....
  15. ScottV

ScottV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm In! :lurk
  16. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cann't wait to read more about the trip.

Some day I plan on getting a Ural Patrol. They look to be so much fun.

How well does it handle the highway?

Sure looks like the prices have gone up on them, since the last time I checked.

daryl
  17. river_rat

river_rat Perplexed

Oddometer:
    looks like an awesome trip. I think a Ural is on my must have list in the next couple years.

btw....your tent fly looks a little slack :deal

18. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next time your at a dealer see if they have any blown tubes. Cut them into rubber bands and attach them to your tent stake down points. They are free and act as shock absorbers in a stuff wind. You can also roll up your clothes with them.

[​IMG]

daryl
  19. ozarkrider

ozarkrider Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer:
    If you make it through the Ozark in AR gimme a call. I live about 6 miles from the MO line and would love to share the area with ya.
    Have safe passage and lots of fun. I'm gonna follow along with ya. :clap
  20. lkoncor

lkoncor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. :clap