Anyone have a truck tent?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Road Program, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Road Program

Road Program Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The concept intrigues me, but I'm wondering if, when packed up, it would take up most of the truck bed.
  2. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    "Anyone have a truck tent?"

Well, I like my truck but c'mon now... :lol3
  3. Toyanvil

Toyanvil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like this?
    [​IMG]
    It packed up small, like a 3 man tent. I kept it in my truck all the time when I was on SAR. The good is they pack small, the bad is you have to take it off if you need to drive your truck.
    I use this now.
    [​IMG]
  4. Road Program

Oddometer:
    Yep, exactly like that. My intended use would be to use it for track days. I'd be putting the bike on my trailer since I hate loading a bike into the bed of a truck, but I'd still like to be able to put tools and equipment in the bed and not have a tent in its stuff sack take up most of the bed.
  5. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    I wanted to do something like this when I had a pickup.

[​IMG]

Mounted low enough that it is in the slip stream of the cab, actually I'd like it low enough to enter from rear via tailgate. Still have storage below the "roof top" tent. My impression is easier set up and breakdown than a "bed tent" and also much more comfortable.

Yep, and tow the bike.

Makes me want to go buy a pickup. :D
  6. Road Program

Oddometer:
    Hopefully I'll have one by the end of the day. :clap I'm sick and damn tired of doing a weight and balance every time I pack up the Jetta and trailer for a track day.
  7. TRAVR6

TRAVR6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a tent for my old 98 f-150.

Sold the truck and no longer need it if anyone had this model.
    Pm me.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Don't bother - just get a 4Runner, Versa Hauler and 3.5 REI sleeping pad :evil

Zero set up, sleep in the back with or without the bike on the hauler, rain or shine.

[​IMG]

Camp table - optional! It's designed so you can load up and haul the bike with table in place, I yank the umbrella going down the road. Solo loading is easy - walk it up and lean it against the table top - strap it down.

[​IMG]

A view from the back - Dinner Station, Taylor Park Colorado, June 2014.

[​IMG]
    Four Mile, Buena Vista Colorado, June 2014.
  9. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    How tall are you? I'm 6' 1" and although I've never tried, it just don't look long enough back there.
  10. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I should have added I yanked the rear lower seat to get the back to sit flush and provide more head room and storage. With the passenger seat pushed up just a bit and this six footer can get full stretch with out my feet hitting the rear hatch. The pad is as comfortable as the bed at home. The pad length is 72 inches and you can tell there is still more room between pad and tailgate as well as pad and passenger seat. http://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad#specsTab

[​IMG]

Push the seats all the way up and you'll have a mini apartment!

[​IMG]

This setup has been a 20 year evolution. :evil A little more detail for the 4runner forum http://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/55655-adv-4runner-camp-set-up.html

Next evolution will be a Sprinter van - blame Geek.
  11. Road Program

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately a Versa Hauler won't work for my bike; when I say track I mean road course. ;) It *might* work but I won't put that weight on my hitch. As far as the 4Runner goes, they are great. Used to own one and now my brother-in-law has it. I went with a truck this time, though, so the option of sleeping in an SUV is out now.

That being said, I like your set-up. ;)
  12. Concow Mower

Concow Mower Wild Doggie

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of miles east of Paradise Ca.
    Road Program, suggest you look up an inmate, handle of glassnman64 and pose you questions to him. We met him and Squirrle66 this year at the Walloa Lake event in June. They used a very handy tent erected in the back end of a full size pickup truck bed. Guess the tend folded up pretty small because it shared the pickup bed with 2 250 cc size dualsport bikes and other camping gear. Glassman64 should be able to answer all your questions. :D
    Cheers
    Dave
  13. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really wanted to outfit my Avalanche with one of these, because the avalanche gives you an interesting configuration with the tent set up in the back. You have the option of folding the midgate down, which is basically like a rear door to the bed, so you get access to the cabin when you're in there, which makes for 4x8' of space plus storage space in the front seats. :D You stow your packs in the cab, so you can just close the midgate when you want to leave, and lock the truck. If it gets hot at night, you hit the remote starter and the avy will run AC to cool the place down for a few minutes, and shut down. It's a hoot. If I didn't have a bike rack pretty much perennially mounted to the tonneau cover, I would've gotten one. But the bike rack makes it just a weee bit too much hassle to execute, and I'm loath to put the bikes on a hitch rack on a regular basis, because you can pretty much kiss the back-up camera and parking sensors goodbye when you do that.
  14. homere

homere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Napier Truck bed tent, model Sportz 2, it is for a full size truck, 96" bed. I bought if last year from an inmate, I never used it, it looks like new, I would like to get 130.00 ( shipped to the lower 48 states) . It cost 30 to ship. . it is blue in color.
  15. froger

froger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure how they do in heavy rain, they'd probably eventually leak. But for dry weather their very good. A lot of room with good window's and screens. As far as quality goes, their like a cheap to medium priced tent. Not great, but good enough. That's ok, if the weather really tanks I'm getting in the cab and running the heater anyway.
  16. Jman

Jman a.k.a. FUglyK

Oddometer:
    Mine is a little different (like me). Solves the leak issue. Bed rug and a thermarest, super comfy.

[​IMG]
  17. Drifter

Drifter Chew on This

Oddometer:
  18. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I had a Napier Sportz truck tent for my Ram 4wd, only used it once. It was a great tent, but something you want to park and leave up for a few days, not take down and put up a lot.

Sold it to a guy at work, he and his wife use it a lot - very happy with it.
  19. Weekend_warrior

Weekend_warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a naiper. Used it for many years and also in wet conditions. Once for a week. Rained every day and I stayed dry. One of the straps that holds it to the body broke, but other than that good. A full mattress fits between the wheel wells or you can buy one that is specialized that fits in the bed, but they are expensive.. I've not used it in a while, but was thinking of trying it out in the new truck or maybe selling.

http://www.realtruck.com/sportz-tru...QwHzIlxERz6tcCUXzqhHiVpHprFDHi8i_oaAo1_8P8HAQ

The only thing really I don't like about it is you can't stand up in it. Also, a good sleeping bag. The cold bed underneath you does nothing for warmth. The other down side is once your set up you really can't move the vehicle until you break camp. It takes about 15 mintues to set up. I ditched the back bag and set it in a bin that I taped the instructions in to the underside of the lid.

I think this one is cool. I saw one once at a motorcycle event.

http://truckcandy.com/TC/KodiakTruckTents/KodiakTruckTents.htm

He could stand up in it and had two cots that didn't have a center brace that went over the wheel wells. It was pretty slick.
  20. Turbomachine

Turbomachine Stirring the noodle

Oddometer: