The D to the L (Detroit to Labrador)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MC-Shifter, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Marrakesh Red

Marrakesh Red Banned

Oddometer:
    :clap
    I highly recommend that you go all the way to Newfouldland and ride the old railroad tracks across the island.
    I did this a few years back and I can't wait to do it again.
    Marcos
  2. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for chiming in on my ride report. So nice to know I'm not just talking to myself here. I know there was a request for roads I've taken to get where I am. I will try to do a better job of including those.

I didn't take any side roads from Montreal to Quebec City. I just super-slabbed it for a couple of hours. Which was fine because the mighty DR was running like a top after its spa day.

I did however manage to make a quick stop in the Ural Dealership to preview the new model. The Ural Urinal

Attached Files:

• Ural.jpg
      Ural.jpg
      File size:
      129.9 KB
      Views:
  3. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    No idea where to go when I got there. But with Lady Luck as my wing-babe, I got the last room in a demi-luxe hotel and sweet-talked my way into free parking.

A little nugget of MC-Shifter trivia. My parents honeymooned here

Attached Files:

4. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    My kind of riding weather. Overcast and cool.

Left Quebec City this morning to go North/East on 138 toward Baie-Comeau. Finally put the city traffic behind me and got onto a bangin' section of two-lane that shaddows the St. Lawrence River

Attached Files:

5. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    The riding today was put a grin on my face that even an S.O.S. pad couldn't scrub off.

Now I don't really like Subway sandwiches. But I just didn't want to stop the flow. I was burning calories. I was hungry and there was a sweet Ducati parked in front of the joint.

It was here that I met J. Duboc. Even his name sounds fast.

We talked a little about my ride. He told me about some of his adventures. One of which had taken him to Charleviox, Mi. (By the way, we Michiganners pronounce it all wrong)

J. turned me onto a side road that he insisted would "FREAK ME OUT." He was right.

For those going this way, it is route 362. You pick it up in Baie St. Paul just behind the Subway.

Attached Files:

6. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks J.

Attached Files:

• R362.jpg
      R362.jpg
      File size:
      89.3 KB
      Views:
  7. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, J.

Attached Files:

8. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    There were sections of this road that were so twisty and steep, I didn't know if I should spend the rest of the day riding back and fourth just snapping pics. I didn't get pics of the really twisty sections. Would've taken too long to find a safe place to stop. And let's face it. When you are busy being "FREAKED OUT," do you really want to stop?

Attached Files:

9. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    So nice to solely focus on riding in scenery

Attached Files:

10. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    We spend so much of our lives under the high frequency vibrations of flourscent lights. There's an elemental sense of justice when we can put the vibes to the pavement and treat our eyes to a little wind, water, earth and sky.
  11. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Here's the pic I though I uploaded with that post

Attached Files:

12. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Signing off in Baie-Comeau. Tire change in the morning. Then North to the Trans-Labrador HWY.
  13. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Hi.... I knew i was going to be sic watching you leave without me :lol3 . I begged Claudine to let me take off with you even after you left Monteal.... Obviously it didn't happen. The weather gods and gorgous riding is working for you. Keep it coming !
  14. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Well said M/C ! :D
  15. gasgasgas

gasgasgas n00b

Oddometer:
    yo MC its tim with the gasgas and the green ninja. brand new to ADVR had to join just so some of your home crew is here to keep track of you and tell you we are all behind you ( about 4000 miles behind you) and we are chillin the beer for the welcome home party. make us nomads proud. tim
  16. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for keeping up everyone. I've got a lot to do before I get on the ferry. But I just wanted to let you all know I crossed the Trans-Labrador Highway. What a euphoric experience....

I'll fill in the details on a later post.

For now, one quick thought and a pic. At different times, I've felt like I was in my element on this trip. When I reached the TLH, it was as if the Mighty DR was in its element. It just soared.

So I thought this post should reflect it's POV

Attached Files:

17. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:

Hi Chris.... looks your having a really great ride. Did you put the knobbies on your bike ? Do you think i could have done the ride using a normal tourance tire ? good riding buddy ... Hp
  18. john pfeiffer

john pfeiffer KTM Submarine Pilot

Oddometer:
    OK Chris, it's been 3 days since your last post. You're starting to worry us (no internet cafe's in Labrador?). Start posting dude.
  19. chuck7140

chuck7140 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like where this thread is going :clap

Keep it up :lurk
  20. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the continued interest everyone. It's been an amazing, challenging ride so far. The last three days have been very action-packed. But, before we get to that, a little non-linear story telling.

I spoke earlier of my cinematic send-off. It was only 11 days ago, but with all that's happened, it feels like 11 years. Anyway. Many of my exceptional friends showed up and rode out from Ken's Coney in Ortonville. Dave and Kevin drove the chase vehicle and captured some memorable images. And here they are.

That's me in the back of my motorcade.

Attached Files: