WSBK & AMA Pro Roadracing: Miller Time! (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, May 23, 2012.

1. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    I believe those Italians came from the old Yamaha WSBK team and have a much better idea of what makes a bike go fast. Electronics etc.
  2. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Experience, then?
  3. rxcoop

rxcoop persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer:
    Davies is a spelling variation of the patronymic English surname Davis, that means David, a Hebrew name meaning "beloved"<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-1>[2]</SUP>. Davies is much associated with Wales, owing to the name of its patron saint, David. Davies is also fairly widespread in the south-west of England, especially Cornwall. Davies is the 6th-most common surname in the United Kingdom.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-2>[3]</SUP>
    <SUP></SUP>
    <SUP>i believe many brits, ray davies of the kinks for 1, pronounce it "davis"....so cut ralphie some slack.:evil (at least, this time).</SUP>
  4. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

As well as a "we don't necessarily know everything there is to possibly know about winning races" attitude.
  5. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was diasppointed they didn't replay Checca's crash out of the second race - he was leading by a country mile after the re-start.

Sad as I was at that crash, as I was hoping for him to pull yet another double, the racing certainly got more exciting after that.
  6. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Miller is a place where Checa needed TWO good results. It's lucky for him that he caught such a break at Monza, where the I4's can run away.
  7. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:
    I've been "Schooled"!! Thanks...
    Every other announcer has pronounced it "Davees" since Chaz came on the US scene riding Celtic (pronouned like it's spelled with a "K") Racing entry at Daytona.
    Perhaps, Ralphie just got something right. Slack given....
  8. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Last year Haslam voiced frustration that the German engineers were not 'bike guys'. He said he wanted a crew who knew how to ride a bike, and how a bike responds. He seemed to be at loggerheads with the German crew who said the S1000RR should ride a certain way, when Haslam was telling them it didn't run the way their simulations/softare said it should.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Burnicle and Whitham pronounce Davies as Davis. I saw it posted somewhere that Chaz himself said it should be pronounced Davis.

Ralph is still a kook, though. :D
  10. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Ah, that makes sense, thanks. So the so-called German attitude was "we know best", whereas the Italian attitude was more "let's try it and see"?

Inflexibility doesn't seem to work well in racing.
  11. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Waxy! Good to see you. You still hang around here?

Russell said a few interesting things over the course of the weekend. Did you guys catch the part about Pirelli and their quality control issues? I thought he stuck his neck out pretty far on that one.
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :wave Only in the F1 and IndyCar threads.
  13. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I sure hated to see Cheka drop it in race 2. A double would have put him in the thick of things, points wise.

Rea was looking pretty racy, but let down by a lack of hp.

Max was consistent, showing some maturity:lol3.

Maybe Hopkins should find another hobby.
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

He bad mouthed pirelli more than once to the point I figured he had some sort of ax to grind.
  15. flars

flars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The one thing that Ralph and Scott didn't mention about the BMWs is that the bike got more manageable once they dropped the BMW-developed electronics and put the Italian Moto Maranelli (or however it is spelled) system on the bike. The bike was INSTANTLY a 'stay at the pointy end' bike (as opposed to a 'throw the rider off like he was an arrow' bike).
  16. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm told Chaz's father was being interviewed one time and schooled him in pronounciation.
  17. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, nothing says "maturity" like doing practice starts on the racing line (exit of Tooele) when there are still other bikes coming around the track- instead of getting off the line to the inside, like every other rider knows how to do.
  18. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:

He'll never stop acting like a pompous ass. He's Italian with a funny mustache... :lol3

Speaking of maturity, Rea seems to have taken it back a notch on the 'need to override the pos-bike' like he and Haslam have a habit of doing. Shame he couldn't get that win. He deserved it.

Good ride from Chaz. Too bad he couldn't get a little more life out of his tires to keep douchbag at bay.

Why did it take so long for the cornerworkers to clean up the spilled out? Jesus... The Eurosport commentators had to fill those 30min of dead space, and were quite funny.
  19. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They had to wait for the FIM to come hold their hands. Meanwhile, the oil flowed down the hill . . . That's the how the corner captain at Turn 1 explained it, anyway.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Check out the puddle of oil from Aoyama's bike. That is right on the racing line I believe.

[​IMG]

Burnicle and Whitham were very funny during the delay, which aired live on Eurosport. Quite a bit of commentary on Americana. :eek1 :lol3