Vintage K Bike Luv

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by ricochetrider, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ArizonaRoadscout

ArizonaRoadscout n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my first and only bike -so far, purchased new in 94 and still roaming the countryside.

[​IMG]
  2. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I have always wanted a K bike, preferable a K100RT since it would be my touring bike. Great thing about them other than the reliability and good things mentioned, their available way cheaper than they should be. :clap
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. east high

east high Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, I need to do more of my drinking in front of the computer.
  4. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    You making any progress on that custom fuel tank, C-Squared? :ear
  5. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    An incredible K....what's not to love?
  7. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I saw it in person yesterday. Fantastic bike, very creative way to customize a K.
  8. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The earlier Rs seemed to get all the attention for customizing. The K just has so much more to offer in my opinion and arguably a more modern sophisticated bike that looks and rides beautifully. This one really demonstrates those characteristics.
  9. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    As an R-customiser I disagree :D

No, in all seriousness, the K bikes are incredibly hard to turn into something generally accepted as good looking. I've only seen a few photo's of customized K bikes that I really liked, this is the first one ever that I saw in person and liked ( a lot).
  10. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm with ya on all counts but can say there are some great K customizers out there. Larry Romestant does outstanding work here in the U.S. Some of the European mates customize Ks completely outside the box. I love my SpecialK from Larry.Will buy another from him if he can go to the dark side with it....K Streetfighter might be in my future.
  11. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still mocked up and waiting for other projects to get out of the way!
  12. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    This seems like the only LOGICAL and era appropriate way to customize a K. I've seen other good K's out there but this one just nails it perfectly with that body work and paint!
  13. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must ask even though it was built for personal consumption what would a buyer be willing to pay for such a build.Time, material and final product would have to put her North of $15k.:deal
  14. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:

If I know the owner-builder good enough, you´re wayyyyyyy overestimating what he will ask for it. He´s not going to sell it yet though.

[​IMG]
  15. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, I am so happy to see this thread. I posted here 2 or 3 months ago and all of the responders were very welcoming, yet I still got the gentle feeling that my '88 K75 didn't qualify to be on this forum, "but what the hell, let's let him in" sort of thing:D Says a lot for the "flavor" of this forum! Thanks for that.

I'll be following with alacrity, which is what I usually do since I'm 66 yo and have owned 4 BMWs, all airheads, even an R 27, I think when I was a teenager, in addition to that: An R100 RS, R100S, and an R75 way back when. My current K is my first and I'm very impressed. My wife rides a Kawi Versys 650, '05. After I retired from Wells Fargo 3 1/2 years ago, we traveled full time in our 5th wheel trailer. Spent two summers in Buffalo, WY...then we rode (She, a 250 Kawi Super Sherpa and I a DRZ 400) We had no experience in the dirt starting out. Last Summer, we spent in Moab, UT, riding the same bikes and the great off-road trails there. Metal Masher, Schaffer Switchbacks, Poison Spider, etc. Some, not very well:rofl, but we learned a lot. We decided that we wanted more comfortable bikes that would allow us to travel pavement and get to interesting things in more comfort, so when we again settled back in the Phx. area, we bought our current bikes. Still miss being able to hop off the pavement though.

Don't want to go on too much, but again, thanks for this thread! I hope to be a frequent participant.
  16. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    DAMN! Must'a just missed you. I was on the BRP in May, too! But I was on my "new" (to me) 02 K1200RS...

Kool to see this thread has gotten some new legs tho!
  17. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks like it might be a good thread to ask a dumb question. I am looking at a 93 K75S with 20K miles on it and the owner says the ABS light flashes all the time. Could this be big bucks to fix ? Also it does not have bags and I am wondering what it might take to get some. Are the bag mounts built in on the K75 like they are on my R bikes or does it take racks also.

Thanks.

Marc
  18. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm luv'in this thread. I'm riding my first Kbike..75 and love it, having owned 3 previous Beemers, all air heads. From my reading, I'm gathering that the K's were very advanced for their time in many ways....and that the engines weren't built for max. output, but for longevity. Am I right on this? I'm aware of numerous Ks that have well over 200,000 miles and the engine hasn't been touched, other than regular maintenance.

What I know from first hand experience: My bike, an '88 with 56,000 miles, the last 8,000 put on by me, is very nimble, will travel at rather high speeds (90+mph) for extended periods without a whimper, will attain 118mph in a one mile strip and seems to like (love) rpm's above 4500. Having said all that (and what more could one ask?) I normally use it as a commuter bike, although my wife and I (she rides a Kawi Versys) have some fun trips planned when the damn filthy hot weather here in Phx. lets up.
  19. photomd

photomd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All you need to know about ABS faults(clicky here)

As for bags, look on Max BMW or Bob's BMW site. There's racks that go with the bags and it's all still available. .
  20. BigDoc

BigDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son now has the bike and he lives near Mt. Airy; so you are likely to see the bike on the BRP quite a bit.