KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    Why not a trials front?
  2. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    Well now you're just getting carried away,.... I mean that's just crazy talk!
  3. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just dropped a Blais Racing jetting kit into my 530 after coming back from Baja. The Blais Jet kit replaced the JD one that I put in there initially. All I can say is that the Blais jetting is much better than the already good JD jetting. It's much crisper, the throttle is snappier off the bottom and seems to pull a bit more on top.

Two thumbs up for a quality kit.
  4. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    I bought my bike new uncorked and l think my dealer jetted it to local xcw spec. I never felt JD was any better after l installed it.

I believe you should be adjusting your jetting to suit changing conditions for optimum performance.

Kits are just a start.
  5. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I have a few rides on my Blais kit after starting with the JD kit and tweaking it to my individual bike and conditions.

The Blais kit out of the box is way better than my tweaked JD kit. Highly recommended.

dc
  6. BlazerBiker

BlazerBiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We had a couple of 250 two strokes with and that seemed to be the way to go for tight terrain. I liked picking them up more than mine and I was super happy to be on my ktm rather than the drz400 I just sold. Fun times on the access roads and less technical single track though.
  7. resqd1

resqd1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok guys got it to stay running for our ride but only with cranking the idle way up, so what do I need to do?
  8. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    which wheel bearing removal tool you guys use? I'm hearing for the motion pro kit to work on a KTM wheel, one has to purchase an additional 28mm collet?
  9. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    The 530 was a bit heavy for this trail but more than capable!
    [​IMG]
  10. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why is this all you can say? This is just anecdotal without some numbers. What changed when you changed "kits"? Richer? Leaner? I've heard the taper of the needle is different (and ID # is ground off), but how so? What did you change as far as jet sizes?

You really feel it pulling a bit more on top with your butt dyno? And how much more is "a bit more"? 2.65%? 4.83%?

Sorry to be sarcastic, but some of us would actually like to hear how the "kits" differ in their recommendations and parts, but most all these JD vs. Blais "reviews" are as above.

You had the kits laying side by side. Did you compare them and record any notes?
    thanks
  11. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently got the Harbor Freight one, was complete, at least for the rear wheel bearing, as best as I can recall. For such a low-frequency use tool, quality is adequate. Snugged it all in place and then added some heat.
  12. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Touchy...touchy, aren't we.

I'm just reporting my personal experience.

I had the JD kit installed since new, but needed new jets for a Baja trip. I live at 6000 ft and ride all the way up to 12,000 ft so I needed to re-jet the bike for sea level. I had heard great things about the Blais kit and decided to get it since it came w/ needles and jets for both sea level and high altitude.

I just followed the instructions in both kits, put them in and both ran great. It's just that w/ the Blais kit the bike seems to run better on the crack of my ass dyno. Sorry, was not gonna put the bike on a dyno just to get you some numbers. It's nothing incredible, but there is a difference and if you are deciding between the JD or the Blais, I recommend the Blais.

It's probably the needle, but both kits grind the number off the needle so people like me cannot post them online and ruin their business model.

Plus I doubt my 6000 ft to 12,000 ft jetting would be of any use to you or the majority of the people here, but I could be wrong.

The Blais kit also came w/ a different Needle Jet that had a perforated shaft, vs the solid shaft of the OEM needle jet.
  13. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll second the Blais vs JD butt dyno experience.

I was a big believer in JD after my WR450, but with my 400 XCW and also my BIL's 530 XCW - we both switched from JD to Blais and found Blais to be much snappier on the bottom than JD was. Both bikes responded about the same.
  14. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, I wasn't expecting dyno results, just basic, simple data rather than subjective, vague comments. Seems like you could have put calipers to the needles and given before/after jet sizes to explain the differences in results for the two kits.

Sounds like you just rejetted for conditions, like has been said. Probably could have done that with your first kit, as it also has what is needed for sea level to altitude. Guess that is "quality" too.
  15. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, let's ignore what you physically changed (did you use the "perforated" needle?) and just hold up our hands for a vote. Maybe go by post count, what is the point of the numbers on those little pieces of brass when we can count those bothering to respond?

A Big Believer (in useful data)
  16. Hank.SD

Oddometer:
    Geez..

Let me put it this way:

Using a JD kit and recommended jets for my altitude, vs using a Blais kit and recommended jets for my altitude, the bike run better with Blais. It pulls harder off idle, the exhaust is less sooty, and I get better mileage.

I did not create an excel sheet, do a dyno run, or hook up an exhaust gas analyzer. You sure can though. :deal
    09 KTM EXC 450 likes this.
  17. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what were the first numbers/sizes recommended by the JD kit and what were the second numbers for the Blais?!? Did you go leaner on the main?

And does the JD contain the same sizes that the Blais has and only the recommendations differ? In other words, could you have simply rejetted with the first kit by experimenting? (used to be called "jetting" before there were "kits")

Nevermind. You did convince me why "kits" are marketed. Not surprisingly with language similar to what you wrote above: "the bike run better with Blais. It pulls harder off idle, the exhaust is less sooty, and I get better mileage."

carry on
  18. Hank.SD

Oddometer:

I didn't realize I was here to satisfy you with emperical data.

But if you must know, the mains were the same. The needle seems to be the big difference.

If you're unable to tell when something runs better or worse.. sorry for you.
  19. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You actually reported something (slightly more) useful, i.e., the main was unchanged, but the needle is different ("the big difference" lol).

Now if you ever find the two needles side by side on your workbench again and you have some calipers, you could measure them. That info would actually be worth sharing as it may be possible for someone with a JD kit to achieve your amazing improvement by simpy sourcing a different needle.
  20. Hank.SD

Oddometer:
    I bet if I use my optical comparator I could really get you some great information, huh.