Top Ten Reasons For Not Waving...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by markk53, Mar 10, 2009.

1. MarshallMiller

MarshallMiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Waiving separates bikes from cars. The only thing close I heard was Miatas flipping lights but that went away with the flip up lights. I always thought it raised motorcycle awareness by getting drivers attention and saying "I saw the rider in oncoming traffic, you should at least see me." Wishful thinking I know but anything helps. Oh and I always took the 2 finger wave as either two wheels are better then four or keep the 2 wheels on the ground. The only people I dont wave too are scooter riders. I dont hate scooters but I wont wave to people in sandles.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just goes to show what they think of wasting that good Harley custom motor on a sportbike!

You're just lucky they don't flip you off or run you off the road! :rofl
  3. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:

I'd just hate to see that motor wasted on a Harley. I've ridden a few and none of them were even close to the bike the Buell is. :eek1

Or maybe they can tell by the fact I'm not wearing a Harley t and a skid lid I'm not riding to the next bar.:lol3
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here I thought all engines and motorcycles built by Harley had an automatic homing device that forced them to pull over at all taverns...

Kind of like the Dairy Queen homing device built into Gold Wings...

And the worst rut homing device on my KLX! :lol3
  5. heDONist

heDONist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the smaller the helmet....the less likely the wave
    no helmet...no wave
  6. xsthomas

xsthomas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never give that Harley rider the half wave, he will think you are pointing out something thats fallen off his bike. :D
  7. Faxx

Faxx Post much?

Oddometer:
    Well, I heard this forum was tainted against Harley's, but you guys are brutal .. humorous .. but brutal.

For the record, I wear a helmet, wave to BMWs, never stop at a bar and have even been known to munch on granola (oh, the irony). I started riding Saturday morning, in the dark and so cold that we had to stop to scrape frost off the windscreens ... not one single piece of heated gear. So there are some of us out there that enjoy the ride as much as all you "adventure" types.

I Went on a nice long ride Sunday with my friend who wanted to introduce me to his brand new R1200GS. We rode for hours (me on my Harley Ultra Classic) and it was humorous to BOTH of us to watch how the helmet-less Harley riders would barely acknowledge him until they realized I was with him! Of course, his bright green gloves were a little awkward to get used to. Admittedly, he was in front most of the time ... that is a damn quick bike!

I don't know if I have a point to all this except to say that it sure seems like a waste of energy to sit at your PCs and bad-mouth 'riders' who are not like you. Unless, of course, you are texting these posts in from the road. Just get out and ride, isn't that the point?

Okay, going out now to check for new oil spots ....
  8. stephenaki

stephenaki Old Rider

Oddometer:
    Concur, I don't ride a Harley, I have ridden a Suzuki GS 550, Honda Rebel 250 and now a Kawasaki Drifter 1500. Wave if you want, don't wave if you don't want too but, recognize that regardless of the bike you or the other person rides, you are riding.

Is it an exclusive club yes and no, depends on your perception. After 25 years in the saddle I don't believe it is as exclusive as some would think. It is simply a past time that not all people wish to pursue. By the way, most people here in Germany wave, when they are not screaming by you at 120 mph!

It will be interesting to see how many fellow riders wave at our trio this May as I and my 2 buddies ride up to John O' Groats and back to Stuttgart; we'll have a Harley Softail, Kawasaki Drifer and BMW GS1200R.
  9. Faxx

Faxx Post much?

Oddometer:
    Take my advice, whoever is on the Softail ... don't even playfully rev your engine in a race-challenge with that BMW! I don't think my friend's front tire really touched pavement until he hit 3rd gear ... but I couldn't be sure ... my Harley was so far back by then I couldn't see his front tire! :lol3

Enjoy your trip (it sounds great) and be safe!
  10. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Sofa King Bueno

Oddometer:
    I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way.

Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?"
  11. oj may

oj may Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer:
    I will wave to virtually everyone except...people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands).:rofl
  12. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Sofa King Bueno

Oddometer:

:wave
  13. jfdirtybiker

jfdirtybiker Roads are to explore

Oddometer:
    Laughing Out Loud.
  14. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  15. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    I always wonder why they never wave, but then they go by and I realize that it's a fucking car with one headlight out!
  16. SantaSack

SantaSack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride a Harley and I always wave!!! I like all bikes, I just prefer my Harley!!!!!
  17. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Made I laugh!
  18. stephenaki

stephenaki Old Rider

Oddometer:
    So is there a wave protocol depending on your ride?

Harley - down low cool guy wave, vibration makes the arm tired.

BMW - hand off bar chest high wave

British bike - queen mother wave, you know the one hand up at 90 degrees, fingers closed wrist rotating hand as if it was a sprinkler head.:queenie

Sport bike wave - fingers up off the handlebar, any higher and the wind will rip them off the bike.

Touring bike wave - ok, no wave from rider, passenger waves though. Rider keeps forgetting he is on a motorcycle and thinks he is driving a small car.

Japanese Cruiser wave - hesitant, 'does it look like a Harley?' wave

Italian bike - too busy talking with their hands to wave

French bike - white flag:wink:

Ural - can't, holding bike together.

Anyone I miss? Anyone I get wrong?

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :wave :wave
  19. majlee_vmi

majlee_vmi Tidewater 41009

Oddometer:

You forgot the Kawasaki Drifter with the Village People paint job rider. How does "he" wave? :lol3
  20. stephenaki

stephenaki Old Rider

Oddometer:
    You're still bitter over the whole, chicks dig my bike and not yours cause you have a BMW, in Germany, like everyone else...:fyyff