Using 2 GPS units with Mapsource software

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Bayou Boy, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to buy a 276c. Will I be able to use my current Mapsource and City Select Software that came with my GPS V? If I sell the GPS V, will the new owner be able to use the software as well, or will one of us have to purchase it new?
  2. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Legally, no

Technically , yes
  3. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK.

Say, hypothetically, "someone" wanted to do just this. Hypothetically, of course. Anything special one would have to do to accompish this?
  4. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression that when you purchase mapsource software it is licensed for that computer/user - I didn't think it was tied to a specific GPS unit. When I traded my old handheld gps for my GPSmap 60cs, I just put the original basemap back on the old unit, sold it on ebay, got the new unit, hooked it up to the computer and loaded it up.
  5. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The manual is so frickin ambiguous I can't tell. All I want to know is if I'm going to have to buy another version of City Select.
  6. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done this.

Older maps were sold for use, any number of GPSs. MetroGuide USA was like that.

The newer SW is keyed to the GPS. You have City Select, it's keyed to a GPS. But I'm 99% sure you're allowed 2 GPS units per product. You'll need to go into Garmin's unlock wizard thing to unlock for the 2nd GPS.
  7. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    I thought it was three unlocks and you can purchase extra codes for not too much if you needed them.

What I would like is a way to remove GPS units from the unlock code list - if I don't have a certain unit anymore, freeing up that unused unlock code would be nice.

In either case, there shouldn't be a problem.
  8. BillR1150GS

BillR1150GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are allowed to unlock the maps to use on two GPS units. Just register the new unit and ask for an unlock code for it. I recently did what you are asking about.

Bill
  9. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Now I need to go burn some CDs.:evil
  10. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct

The locked mapping products have always been like this
  11. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:

You have it backwards, it is tied to a GPS unit by the gps units serial number...
  12. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So if I do this, is the new owner of my GPS V SOL on the Mapsource thing? Way I see it is a GPS V isn't worth much without the mapping software.

I may as well keep the V if this is the case.
  13. BillR1150GS

BillR1150GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure of the official answer to that but if he happens to have a copy of the mapping software, he can use the original unlock code that you were using.

Bill
  14. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Maybe.

I have done this through 3 different versions of GPS and City Nav, but I still haven't found anything that confirms that this is the case for the NT version they provide with the preloaded boxes. I have a bad feeling that the answer will be one GPS, one license for NT, but no one has tested the water yet :dunno
  15. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my 276 today. I was able to use my existing City Select NA from the GPS V bundle. I had to connect the 276 to the computer, run the unlock wizard, and tell it that I wanted to add a GPS to this unlock code. Very simple once I figured out exactly what I had to do.

BTW My 512mb card works well right out of the box.