most useful thing you found while riding?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scmopar, Jan 6, 2012.

1. scmopar

scmopar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While out running errands today I spotted a pair of blue handled channellock pliers.The most usefull of all tools:D.That got me to thinking with all these" adv'riders loggin thousands of kilometers/miles a year what is the most usefull thing you have found?
  2. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    For riders:
    1.) Earplugs.
    2.) GPS that has self-correcting ability, easy to use (Garmin 660 is quite good).
    3.) Rider-to-passenger communication system that works well (read: must have squelch mic sensitivity that is adjustable while riding).
    4.) A Camelbak that works well.
    5.) Thermal / Insulating underwear top and bottom.
    6.) Modular helmet (reduces a bit of fatuigue at each stop (fuel, bathroom, eating, speaking to others for directions, campground attendants, etc.).
    7.) Fuel gauge on my bike.
    8.) Accessible camera.
    9.) Boots you can walk in.
    10.) LED headlamp that can be worn on your helmet (for on-the-go map reading at night, don't ask...).
    11.) $2000 extra dollars above your budget...

The best tool in addition to your bike's toolkit:
    Alien bicycle multi-tool LINK.
  3. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I nominate this thread for the 2012 Quickest To Get Off Track award.

I found a pair of fishing pliers once, but they aren't very useful to me since I don't fish. I also stopped once to pick up a pocket knife, but it was in rough shape after being run-ded over a few times.

A few months ago I saw a riding buddy's wallet fall out her tail bag on an interstate entrance ramp after a fuel stop. Her cash, credit cards, ID, etc., I'm sure, proved very useful to her after we found her stuff that scattered for yards and yards and yards down the ramp.:lol3

Chris
  4. Kav

Kav Not a Ninja

Oddometer:
    The best thing I found was a thin flat piece of rubber that I used to make a gasket with. My fuel take started leaking baddly after a crash in the desert. Got me back to camp and it's still on the bike.

The next best thing as a black marker. I had snapped off my clutch lever and had just a little nub. But not enough of the lever to use it. After looking around for a while I found the marker. So pulled all of the guts out of it, mash it on the nub and tape the snot out of it. It worked well enough to get me off the trails and back into town about 60 miles away. I bought 2 levers the next day.
  5. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Empty roads, just for me!:D
  6. rwf

rwf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 30 foot logging chain.
  7. UnclebudinTX

UnclebudinTX Half Moose Whiskapalian TEX-LEX

Oddometer:
    There is a 9/16 wrench and a 10" break over in beaded in the asphalt at a stop sign i have to stop at every day when i go to work. I stopped one day with a long screw driver to pry them out but couldn't.. I wonder if the snow plow got them the other day..???.. Ill have to go check later today...

We are talking about ROAD SIDE Finds arent we???
  8. pfloydgad

pfloydgad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the old days, I had to make the nightly deposit from the days sales at an Electronic Store
    I used to work at.
    I rode my Wing daily and never had a problem making the night drop at the local banks drive through.
    One night I put my key in to open the drop, but it was already un-locked. I pulled a little farther and another depoisit bag was stuck by its zipper. I had to pull it out to get mine in.
    It was from a local Flower shop, and loaded with cash.
    I did the right thing and droppoed it in behind mine, but I did stop by the flower shop the next day. I asked the very cute girl at the register who made the drop last night. She said she did. So I told her where I work at what had happened the night before.
    She was very surprised that that happened, and said it was her first time doing the drop.
    I told her to always check by opening it back-up to confirm it did drop.
    When I closed my store that evening at 9pm, she was waiting in her car next to my Wing.
    Her appreciation for my honesty lasted almost 6 months, I will now leave the rest to your imagination. :evil.
    Ride safe all, and please, ATGATT.
    Greg
  9. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    a brand new Gerber multi-tool.
    I still carry it on my belt 10 years later. Pliers, knife, abrasive blade... it offers multiple ways to mongle fasteners.:D
  10. high dangler

high dangler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    id say the cell phone.
  11. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    My peace of mind. Took about 3 tanks of fuel to find it....
  12. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found Bear pepper spray up at Crater lake, Oregon this summer.
  13. Ride-a-lot

Ride-a-lot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find a few things now and again while on the motorcycle. But if you really want to find a bunch of crap ride a bicycle on bumpy curvey road. Found all these within about a month last summer. Not in the picture is a box of DeWalt drill bits. I saw the drill bit box laying off the side of the road and also saw a couple drill bits scattered around. Stopped and spent about 5 minutes searching and managed to find all but 3 of the drill bits.

The mag light still worked fine, so I gave it away. Since going to LED flashlights I had forgotten just how lame the mag lights are. With as much battery power as that mag light a LED light would be horrendously bright.

[​IMG]
  14. E double D

E double D are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Found a 1/4" Snap on ratchet about 15 years ago still using it.
  15. Jordansdad

Jordansdad Jordansdad

Oddometer:
    Found a complete husky socket set in two sizes with two wrenches in a zip up carrying case in the middle of a dirt road, now resides in the back of my truck.
  16. Oilybimmer

Oilybimmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a spell a few years ago of finding tools that I needed lying on the road, not ones I did not need, but ones I was looking to buy ? very strange.
  17. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got to get up and ride some of those Montana roads ! :lol3
  18. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Find any Bear scat with bells in it nearby? :lol3
  19. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" class=MsoTableGrid border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 6.65in; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=638><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>
    Originally Posted by DAKEZ [​IMG]
    Anal Lube
    </o:p></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Way to much information!! Way to much:lol3:rofl
  20. KawaYamaSaki Ho

KawaYamaSaki Ho Reality burns!

Oddometer:
    A tackle box full of lots of goodies found me in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico. Haven't had to buy a spinner in years.