New to DR350, what to look for when buying

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SauceSquatch, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I have read these are fairly bulletproof dirt bikes. I'm looking at a 1990 this weekend, seems like it's in great shape but I'm new to these bikes, what should I be looking for?

It does not have any lights or starter, so I'll be want to set it up with lights at least. I know I have some research to do but if someone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
  2. Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a '90 model myself. I did alot of research & came to the conclusion the DR 350 was the best option for me. Im planning on using it for both a commuter & trail bike. The bike itself is very stout & torquey. Things to watch for is a working compression release, major oil leaks after warm on shut-off, leaks from the headgasket area, & that the transmission shifts up & down smoothly. Expecially 2nd gear. Other than that, overall apperance, bends or cracks on the frame, etc. Light kits are available on EBay or Amazon to make it streetworthy. The bike itself with a different front sprocket gets 50-60mpg. I would have liked a newer version with electric start, but mine for $900 in the shape it is was a steal. Good luck & enjoy.