ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once you remove the evap solenoid on a desmog you have the harness connector to deal with --many guys tape it up or put grease in it.

I was looking for a better way to cap this harness connector

After tons of searching I found a good solution

bmotorsports.com

item conn 10557 male connector and item conn 56059 cavity plug --get a few of the plugs -at least 2

just put in the red cavity plugs and this connector snaps right into the harness for a clean watertight plug
  2. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see that, can you take a pic?
  3. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the 714 are the correct grips. The hdb top clamp is the ktm stock size and fits the brp.
  4. Lulu7404

Lulu7404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I searched this thread for map switch, and it had too many hits and threw it out.

so, I am installing the switch after getting the ecu reflashed to euro, the plug goes under the seat, check.
    there are two shorter wires that can only plug into something behind the light, anyone install the switch themselves? Or a hint as two where in this monster thread to look. There are two wires available, but I don't want to just plug them in with out knowing what they are for.

Thx
  5. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    So, I swapped it for a 48T at the dealer and just installed. Fits fine. You *might* be able to get a 50T on there with the stock chain, but the rear tire is awfully close to the plastic shock guard with the 48. Plus, I suspect you might have to take the master link off and thread the chain on, versus just working it on. That would defeat my purpose of quick wheel swaps. I suspect the extra 3 teeth will solve my complaint about having to go back and forth between 1st and second gear in the tight stuff. I'll find out tomorrow!
  6. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

go to the website and type in part # and it shows pic
  7. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Its interesting that stock chain is 118 with 15/45 on EXC
    and 116 with 13/50 on XCW

I'd think 116 would be too short

I have 13/48 with stock 118 on EXC and fits fine
    I have not had time to test results
  8. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I have a 350EXC; it comes with 14/45 stock. There is enough similarity that following this 500 thread has been invaluable.
  9. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I did that, but I meant where it goes on the bike. the dealer de-smogged mine so I don't know how good of a job they did with the clean up. Can you just ell me where this item was removed so I see if I have a stray connector I didn't notice?
  10. thumperB

thumperB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - just picked up a brand new 450 XC-W a few days ago and was curious what type of oil comes in the bike from the factory (synthetic or non-synthetic)? Have read that the break-in should be done with non-synthetic and just wanted to confirm that's what's in there from the factory. Thanks!
  11. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    MJG2 was kind enough to send me the pics. I was pretty sure I as thinking of the same smog device he was, and the picture confirms. The deal is, my dealer leaves this device on on the bike with the electrical connector attached, but all the vacuum hoses removed. They said that sometimes a bike will not like the fac that there is nothing plugged into that connector. He did not elaborate whether it was an FI code or rough running or ? This is a big, very capable dealer that sells a lot of EXCs, and mine runs like a champ. Curious if anyone else had heard this tale? I want to pull the solenoid to make it look cleaner, but have resisted the urge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no FI light on or running problems with it disconnected
    I understand their thinking -many sensors or components cant be unplugged or you will turn on the FI light- or have driveability issues
    Not so with this part
    I am glad to have found a cap to plug the electrical connector from the weather. I actually thought about doing as your dealer and leaving the solenoid in place. Its cleaner with it off though. If you do leave it on you might want to at least put caps on the vacuum ports to keep water and mud out of that solenoid since the hoses are now removed
  13. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed SAR under fender and turn sigs

anyone got a good pic of your 13 under fender where the wires run through to airbox

in particular the open hole area where airbox, fender, underfender all meet and wires go through from fender to airbox

I have a small opening there -about dime size

I am thinking of filling it with clear silicone sealer
  14. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy
    There's a thread somewhere here, regarding off idle hesitation and how an aftermarket muffler pipe cures this. Anyone?....

My bike runs really well, the dealer re-mapped to XCW and I've geared it down but it still hesitates right off idle which is a PITA for lofting over obstacles. I've looked at that FMF Snap and read the literature on the Best Dual Sport Motorcycles site but would like to hear from someone here.

Garrett
  15. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what year
    what bike
    you wont go wrong with any good aftermarket exhaust -Akro- FMF
    Many people have great results with
    Desmog
    Exhaust
    701 ECU map
    gearing around 13- 48/50
    turn up idle a little

those are all key items
    and clean good fuel like premium

some people use JD tuner too to dial in the FI
  16. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those that have ridden the 500 with both the Acerbis 3.0 gallon and the KTM Hardparts 3.4 gallon tank what were your ergonomic and riding experiences comparing the two?

Is the KTM slimmer at the tank/seat junction where you grip your knees and legs?

For example, when I rode my 525 with the Hardparts compared to a Clark the Hardparts felt nice and slim between my knees and the width of the shrouds showed their girth only when extending the leg up by them for turns. Whereas the Clark felt thicker through the middle but no shrouds cluttered the legs when motocrossing through turns.

Since Clockworks has done the new mold (to correct fitting problems that were documented on this thread) on their tanks for the 500 has anyone tried the new mold? Does it fit without issues, concerns? what are the latest impressions on the Clockwork?
  17. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a 2013, desmogged, mapped to XCW, stock exhaust and pipe with no restrictor, 13 or 14/50 gearing. Always premium gas. Might try the idle to see what it does.
    Thanks

18. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its a 500 I assume -I ask because some 350 guys post in here

Also- check on version of map

get the map ending in 701 on your bike -if thats not what is loaded
  19. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics of new 2013 500 EXC
    This website has been a great resource getting it set up -thank you all