The Ninth Generation Ford F Series Trucks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by a1fa, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Hardware02

Hardware02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to work with a old guy who also owned a farm. He used to haul hay and farm equipment on a gooseneck trailer using his 300 I6 truck - it wouldn't get there quickly, but it always got there.
  2. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 300 six was what it was. It was bad on fuel but who really gave a shit back then? I remember hauling hay with a flatbed truck with one and a granny 4 speed. We would put it in low,set the wheel and we all kicked bales with the truck just crawlin along. I would say good times but it was not:lol3. It was nice being able to change plugs with both feet on the ground.
  3. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am rather under impressed with them as well. UPS loved them, used them for years. They are found in airport tugs, wood chippers and generators. A 302 will run rings around a 300, then need a rebuild and run more rings around the 300. But the 300 will keep going while the 302 is being rebuilt. Out of all the industrial uses of the 300 I don't recall it being potent enough to ever make it up to the status of a boat motor.

I think the most redeaming feature is the fact that when they are so wore out that the oil light is on at idle, they can still have years of service left in them.
  4. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

Long bed I assume? Like CodyY said. Short bed a little more. If you found one and don't want it pm me I might be interested. I'm close to Arkansas.
  5. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:
    I probably do too-I bought a white '96 F250, 7.3 powerstroke extended cab, longbed, dent and rust free for $2800. Thing looks showroom.
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I lost just that truck in the divorce. :bluduh

M
  7. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:

In Texas add 500 to a grand if it has good working A/C.
  8. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:

I didn't even know I was getting a deal-I just needed a pickup.
  9. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

Being a knuckle dragging wrench monkey I've bought and sold many vehicles just fixing that very thing:deal.
  10. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

Back in the day that combo would rival any diesel in its class.
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    :nod

In everything but fuel mileage.

M
  12. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
  13. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    If you think the 300 is gutless, try the 240. More or less the same exact motor with a different bore and stroke. I have one in my '66 F-100. I don't think it's ever been rebuilt, and I have no idea how many actual miles are on it. But it still runs.
  14. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    My best friend growing up had a 66 lwb 240 3-on-tha-tree when we started driving. Oil bath filter, and added a qt every tank of fuel.

He busted his hand on the windshield pretty bad power shifting pulling out of the street races. :lol3
  15. dave186

dave186 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might not believe this but I paid $1500 for my 95 crew cab. I drug it out of the weeds in a pasture. Took my service truck out and got her running aired up the flat tires and drove it home.

I intended to use it for parts cause the front axle is worth what I paid for it but I liked the crew cab and it was in nice enough shape to fix and no rust here. I stopped counting how much I have in to it at $10000 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thing I see in used trucks is people seem to overlook what they would look for in a new truck. Axle ratio,engine,tranny all come second if the like the way it looks. That said I found my used truck 10 years ago and still have it. I wanted a lightning because I knew what I could do with it but also needed more room as I had two small kids at the time. This truck was a stolen recoverd truck all the took was the wheels and some Harley badges:huh. I got it for a song pretty much.

It was exacty what I wanted . A Supercharged 4dr truck 3.73 gears 4r100 tranny. I still love it and it is going in for a makeover in a few days. The Harley thing does not bother me. It is fast and I have driven and modded it for ten years same engine/drivetrain.

[​IMG]
  17. dave186

dave186 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had one of those as well. Mine was an 02 all black. Ndebt I recognize your screen name from nhtoc.

18. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

Awesome!!!! Did you ever go to Lighning Fest in KC? I set up a booth there for several years. I still love that platform. If you do not smile when that supercharger whines and you are setting in a truck cab something is very wrong with you:lol3.
  19. dave186

dave186 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No never made it that far. Im in Idaho after all. Honestly I didn't really like that truck near as much as my gen1 lightning. I liked the engine but did not like the chassis or interior. I paid to much for it and after a few years I kinda quit driving it so I sold it to get out of the payment. I had a ported blower 6lb pulley and custom tunes. Put lightning bilsteins and rear sway with a 3" rear drop. It ran good but just wasn't for me.

20. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

A Tech that worked for me had at the time one of the fastest gen1 lightings around. It is a different truck no doubt. It is a lot of body to be really fast. But What do you have now if you don't mind?