The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to document your work with photographs, Lost Rider. I enjoyed seeing the inside of the engine. :nod

Spud :wave
  2. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    I put 606's on mine too - great tires!
  3. SugarDust

Oddometer:
    :ear
  4. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

Nope. I have spent about 200 miles on one and will probably get one for my wife and son to ride around spring. I'm sure I'll have fun on it too. :evil

I enjoyed the time I spent on the CRF250L. Have you enjoyed yours??? :ear

I'm with you about accurate info. The overall picture with its assorted veiwpoints should be concidered when posting tech items or how to's.

Misinformation doesn't help anyone. If you point it out, expect someones panties to get wadded up. I write it off as the price to pay to help the other fellow inmates. There are so many noobs who just joined when they bought this bike or others who haven't spent anytime elsewhere on this site that don't get the overall picture.

It is a public forum so my suggestion would be to put us on ignore. Then you can live with the misinformation and still believe you are above reproach.

I have no issues with any inmates here. They may have with me it seems. Such is life... It's the internet get over it.

Feel free to call me out on anything, I won't get butt hurt or wadded panties... Call me a turd, whatever. Read my all my posts on this site I've made, I have nothing to hide...

:freaky
  5. SugarDust

Oddometer:
    Yes, seems like it will do what I bought for very well. Unfortunately it has developed a slight intermittant coolant leak (looks like around the head gasket) and I am taking it in for the dealer to take a look at this morning. Let everyone know how that goes. - Update - turns out to be the temperature sensor needing to be tightned more. Kinda embarrising cause I checked to make sure fittings etc was tight - guess it needed to be tighter.
  6. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    You're welcome. :beer

I'm hearing you Mental, this bike is bringing lots of new folks to ADVrider which is a good thing, and while I might not agree with you now and then I get the Mental tone and am looking forward to you getting your own LRP and adding to the pool of experience and knowledge around here from your ownership.
    The amount of new riders on this bike is exactly the reason I took the time to do this little DIY thing, and presented it in the way I did. I hope to inspire people to do their own work on their new bikes and also have the complete information provided in the Honda service manual when they do so by not making it complete with torque values, etc.

Plus, the wine had kicked in by the end of the measurements and now I can go back and look to see how to actually put it back together! :evil

ramz, you should really get over yourself, my information on this DIY is accurate and complete enough for what it is intended to be.
    I generally spend more time actually riding than talking about it so I'm sorry my post wasn't up to your high standards of perfection, or if I made you feel Lost in confusion on the process, it's the best I could do with the time allowed.
    Feel free to do your own valve adjustment DIY write up to ad to your little website and show us all how it should be done more accurately and comprehensively.

I have to go get this bike back together so we can go ride.

-Finn
  7. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOST RIDER:
    Remind Nancy..."make momentum your friend"
    Were the individual shims labeled with a laser etched value? The big "coin" shims in my KLR were.

EVERYONE ELSE: Don't piss on others' contributions
  8. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    First mod: longer bolt & nylon lined lock nut for the shifter, 70¢. Thanks Ramz.
  9. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ed, will do.

It looks to me like the shims are just stamped, not etched. I can barely read the 190 on the old shims now.
    9 bucks a piece for new shims at my dealer.

Total cost for 600 mile service with two bottles of Motul 10w40, filter and shims, including a bottle of wine is under $50, the satisfaction of doing it yourself = priceless. :evil

[​IMG]

Back to work!
  10. Guerillah

Guerillah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got the 43T installed after my buddy in my works machine shop took care of some business, raining too much to take her out for a spin to try it out at the moment. BTW, none of my local Honda dealers within a 100 miles radius have the rear sprocket bolts in stock, make sure to order some new ones before you do the job just in case shit happens like in my case.

On a personal note, the drama and hate in this forum boggles my mind at times... I come from a high performance car background where people spend more on turbo kits than these bikes cost and there are less ego's at play. In the grand scheme of things, all these bikes (KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Beta) are relatively cheap compared to any car you're ever going to buy, ride them, have fun, and stop caring so damn much.

Thanks for the post Lost, will surely help me out when I tackle this. Also thanks for Ramsey for his site, I reference it all the time. In the famous words of the deceased Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?!" :freaky
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  11. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

:beer
  12. SugarDust

Oddometer:

No doubt - thank you Ramz and thank you Lost for your great info, as well as everyone else but "Can't we all just get along?!" ?
  13. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:cry

The LRP is back together, I managed not to drop a shim down in the motor luckily.
    I'll add the few things I did to get it back together or easier to the DIY post.... after I go ride! :clap
  14. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    At Hondapartsnation they were 5.55
  15. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    only on KTM prices!!
  16. foxbrook

foxbrook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought one, I'm a new rider, I'm short and I'm not a aggressive rider. This bike is a great fit for me. I can't really speak for you but it does all the things you have mentioned. My husband lowered it with a kouba link and I am interested in the shorter seat that is in the works. I'm only 5'3 and on my toes. The bike is heavy to pick up. Luckily when I have dropped it I haven't been alone. Hope that helps....
  17. gaw777

gaw777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lost Rider,

About how long did it take to do the whole job, not counting running to the Honda shop. Thanks for the write up and pix, it helps.
  18. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I just couldn't resist posting that reply.... :freaky

:kumbaya
  19. yyz

yyz Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

It took a couple of hours to get it apart and measure all 4 valves, but I was taking photos, writing as I went, having wine, etc.
    Took about a half hour to put it back together. I should be able to do it much faster next time.

Apparently I put it all back together correctly, the bike's running good and performed very well on local single track, the Ortega Trail.

Go LRP! :freaky

-Finn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]