450cc ADV bikes

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tokyoklahoma, Jan 20, 2012.

1. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    I'm with you...but it's fun:lol3
  2. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had several dual sports the past few years and the only 2 keepers are WRR and TE630.
    The WRR is a few lbs lighter and the TE has 2x the power.
    The TE does have better wheels/tires/bars/controls/suspension etc than the WRR.
    Both these bikes are way better than the others in there class.
    Now for racing bikes I'd choose a KTM/Husky/Husaberg etc. they are a step above the others.
    They are all about the same to work on some are easier at one thing and the other at something else.
  3. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again, not my fault you can't ride Japanese performance bikes in your country which well and truly renders your argument invalid. Your inability to recognise this demonstrates that you do not care about facts or reason. It's also clear that you believe in some sort of us vs them conspiracy here? Bit crazy in my opinion.

Why stop? Funny that you mention Sth America, I lived in there for 3 years and was a member of the HUBB community helping other riders as they came through Bolivia. Not once do I recall a single Husqvarna, let alone someone riding a TE610. Saw tons of KLR650s, KTM640s, BMW650s, DR650s, the occasional XR250 or XR650 or something like that.

Nobody is 'hung up' about displacement, it's the topic of this thread. And who says they will go off-roading with 100lbs of gear on the back? Try 40lbs. And nobody is stopping someone from dropping that off at their campsite then ride around without the extra weight. Now guess what you don't need? Don't need a trailer, a 4wd to tow, all that crap that fills up the garage and rarely gets used. Sure it's not a bike that will win races but it will take you anywhere you want to go.
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    It's my understanding that there is one paper filter, plus two steel screens that can be accessed externally and need to be removed and checked (fairly) frequently, plus another screen that can only be accessed by removing the clutch cover (I make that 4). If these only need to be checked a couple of times when the bike is new, it doesn't say that in the schedule.

Reading maintenance instructions was part of my purchase research. The 610 valve inspect/adjust procedure directs to remove the fuel tank, both radiators and the header tank for a valve check every 6K miles. If there's a workaround I didn't see it before - Good to know! All of that is easy in comparison to what's required for my GTS - but it only needs a valve check (all 20 of them) every 27,000 miles. The DR needs to be checked every oil change but it can be done in 5 min without removing anything but the two valve covers.

What has been your long-term experience with valve clearances?

How about the purported need to replace camchains every 10K or so to prevent them from eating into the breather valve?
  5. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My understanding is the metal screens keep any material from passing thru the engine, side to side, in case of a clutch failure or stator failure or gear case failure. They don't need to be cleaned every oil change and shouldn't have any thing in them.
    If Yamaha makes a wrr450 it will probably be heavier than the 610/630, and with cheaper parts.

On the 630 you remove the fuel tank, 1 bolt and a couple hoses and you just remove 2 bottom bolts and push the radiators forward to remove the valve cover. Once you do it once its a 15 minute job to check valves.
    My Husaberg was about the same after you removed the tank it had 2 small covers to remove to check valves.
  6. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Thanks for the info.

I see you say "TE630 engine shot" in your sig line. What's the story there?
  7. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a big country and the rules vary from state to state. In Colorado you can plate any one of the jap performance bikes and ride it where ever you want. Although the WR450F is probably the most common plated jap performance bike round these parts. Heck, I got a two stroke gas gas XC300 in my garage that is going to have a plate on it before the end of the month.
  8. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check cafe Husky for the story.
    Dealer who split the case to fix a leak put the engine together wrong.
    I'm in the process of sueing them now.

The screens kept chunks of stator and crank out of the gearbox and clutch.
  9. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    610 is screw/locknut.

The screens do NOT need to be messed with every oil change, and there are only 2 of them...the factory also tells us we need 20+ psi of air in the tires, and we all know how well that works out :lol3
  10. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course not...they would have to build a NEW engine (wasn't the 250R based on 1/4 of the R1 engine?)...but think about a parallel twin WR500R coming in at 320 lbs ish.
  11. RyanR

RyanR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding their motorcycles.
    Mambo Danny likes this.
  12. RyanR

RyanR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds like fun... the Aprilia twins are a hoot!
  13. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is clear to me you had your sense of humor removed at some point. Next time I will remember the :lol3 after every sentence instead of all the way at the end to help compensate for the handicap.
  14. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I listed my Adventure Bike "wants" over at st-owners.com, this is what I received:
    [​IMG]

:clap:rofl
  15. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    And who says there's no innovation in plowing implements?
  16. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I so want to use this as my signature (and attributed to you)... but I may be guilty of the very same - although I do ride my bikes a lot more than others around me do... but it's all commuting these days.
  17. RyanR

RyanR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha feel free I would be honored. Hey as long as you're getting some saddle time in it's all good.
    Mambo Danny likes this.
  18. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    LOL, thanks.
  19. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    maybe 350 cc is enough?
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's too new to know anything about it but how about the 2wd Christini Dual Sport 450? 49 state street legal.