Little help guys? Or, SIDI canyons for street

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ADVNubie, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ADVNubie

ADVNubie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

Sooo Mrs. Advnubie decided that she would buy me a nice pair of boots.

Originally I was tied between the TRQ tour and SIDI onroads

The TRQ tour won out but they were too narrow, and I didn't like the rear zipper. (I know kind of trivial but still)

Enter the SIDI canyon-- Basically onroads with a heavier shield in the front and a buckle system.

But heres my conundrum.. I ride a cruiser right now, BUT I'm looking to go to either a
    Speed triple
    Tiger 800
    Possibly a concours or FJR or something.

Are these boots gonna work for something like that?

Thanks All!
    AdvNubie
  2. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Canyons and ride a 2011 R1200R. They are great!

I'm not sure why you would think they aren't a good boot for a Standard/Sport-Touring bike...

I only have two complaints about them:

1. They are a little on the short side, the On-Roads are a lot taller.
    2. There is no hard ankle support on the outside of the ankle, just on the inside.

They took a couple days of walking around in to break in, are very comfortable both walking and on the bike. They are completely waterproof! Wore them for 10 days on a 1,700 mile trip, my feet were happy the whole time.
  3. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On roads, work well will 1200gs and 1600 all day comfort, great protection. Easy to walk in
  4. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a pair of canyons after selling my Adventures. Since I ride everyday, I wanted something that was better to walk around in while running errands, yet still do a good job for touring and fire roads. The are a little short, bit they are the same size as a typical work boot (8" I think). The great thing about them is they fit in no matter what bike you ride. They're very comfortable and easy to get in/out of.
  5. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why wouldn't they work? :huh

I sort of say this in jest... I ride a R-GS but think the style would be fine for other bikes, and those you mentioned seem fine.

I would consider moreso than for a cruiser.

I own a pair of canyons and they are fairly half decent boots. I think fit and build type and quality is important and should be according to each individual. if they fit... and the build is of quality then that's what matters.

I usually wear a 10w-10.5 regular depending on the manufacturer and last. a bit of a wide forefoot with narrow heal and high arch. for instance many saucony and vasques have fit fine. my sidi canyons are 10.5 regular and I have a more custom aftermarket insole inserted. (mainly for my high arch support)

a bit warm in socal in the summer but I also have waded a bit in a mountain stream in the sierras to test the waterproofness successfully. my summary... not a bad boot in general. and I can walk around in them in relative comfort when it suites.
  6. ADVNubie

Oddometer:
    Basically I was worried they might not work well with sport type foot controls.
    More than anything I was worried about them not working with a Speed Triple
    or one of them new Yammy MT-09s.

Wanted something general all around but I liked the canyons b/c They had that secure buckle.

I like the on roads but would like shin protection, also I'm not sure the velcro will hold up like I would want it to.

I've heard that SIDI makes some great products, I'm just looking for something that will protect my foot but not be sooo storm trooper. But I also want the protection.

Overall though the taller the better.
    I'm just wearing my combat boots right now so probably most anything is a step up in protection.
  7. ACD

ACD old nOOb

Oddometer:
    I ride with Sidi Adventure, they are indestructible, great protection and not too bad for walking around. Just don't go for a 10 mile hike!!! Mine is not the goretex model but never had a problem with moderate to heavy rain. Boot is high but goes under my jeans, no prob. Only criticism is regarding the noise: they make a loud creaking noise, and after having tried every oil, cream, wd-40, you name it, I just pretend I don't see other people staring at me when i walk around in my Sidi's.
    Check bmW's Santiago boots, never had one but is in my wishlist, people love it.
    Also check TCX Track Evo boots, it was just released. I have a low cuff TCX and find it very comfortable, offering good protection and are waterproof. The Track Evo is high cuff, very similar to sidi adventure.
    [​IMG]

Not sure about ankle protection on these, though. It may have some internal hard structure, hopefully. I decided for the Sidi's because is is kind of stiff around the ankles, and I like that. Lots of hard plastic there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
  8. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started wearing the on roads in 05 on every thing from ADV, Sport tour and cruisers. They work well on everything I've tried them on. Recently I bought a pair of used canyons to try. The buckle is kind of a pita for everyday use. I still prefer the on roads.
  9. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Can't give any advice on those boots, but here are some little help guys:

[​IMG]
  10. LARK

LARK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll wear my Canyon's when I ride my GSA or my Road Glide. I also have a pair of On Roads and the Canyon's get the nod most all the time. In hot weather I find the On Roads a little warm.
  11. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    I have the Canyons, Adventures and other street only boots and I wear the Canyons almost all the time. They work well in all situations, look good with the cruiser, and are flexible enough for my Speed Triple. Love them, they cover a wide range of riding types, are waterproof and very comfortable.......highly recommended!
  12. ADVNubie

Oddometer:
    What do you ride?
    Do you find them flexible enough for street wear? Shifting etc?
  13. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    KTM 950 ADV, Triumph Speed Triple, Kawi Vulcan 2000 LT Classic, KTM 525EXC. They totally work on the street and are comfortable to walk around in. Use-specific boots are better for that specific use but if I had to own one pair for all types of riding, it's the Canyons.
  14. Big bike

Big bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, Canyons here too. I mix em up from time to time for fun, but the Canyons are my all around favs. I commute 100 miles a day and stand on my feet all day. I swap out Superfeet original green insoles every 6-8 months. Whether it be a daily commute, day ride, weekend outting, or a 3 wk road trip, I've enjoyed these warm, waterproof, comfy boots since 2005.

I recently got a pair of Moose Racing Moto X/adv boots but I only use them on knobby tired day trips, or if I'm having withdrawals from my ski boots :rofl
  15. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I wear my canyons every other day (alternate with 'stich combat lites).

Never had an issue on my wee strom, F800R, or R1200R.

Test rode a bunch of bikes in them too, no issues.

I switch to other footwear if I'm going to be off the bike for many hours, but you can do some light walking in them fine.
  16. btao

btao Adventure is out there!

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Sidi Adventures. I have the Gore TeX. The most comfortable and versatile boot ever. Great protection, compared to lesser styles with the articulating ankle. Safety wins over the squeak. I have some good silicone oil and know how to keep them from squeaking now. It squeaks where there is plastic to leather, so use a cloth to run the oil in both surfaces. Lasts a few months of hard use.

I have a Tiger 800XC, and will never buy another boot. It breathes great and is warm in the cold. I've had my bike land on my foot a few times in the trail and is a non issue now. The leather is tough, and the Gore Tex is the only one with real leather, that even after hard use and face plants in rocks, it has no gouges and looks like the toe was lightly scuffed with sand paper.

The leather breaks in beautifully... Soooo comfy.

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
  17. ADVNubie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Advice guys! Sold on the SIDIs ultimately went with the Armadas. should be coming in soon.