PGO 150, Vespa clone, for your perusal and advice...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by MobyJack, Oct 13, 2008.

1. MobyJack

MobyJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Help. I'm in Reno, this '85 or '86 Taiwan made shifter two stroke is on my work bench and I want it on the road ASAP. Currently inop, shows only 1,1XX miles. Any and all advise about this Scooter will be much appreciated. Goal is to have a QUICK AND RELIABLE rider. First order of business is to get a title, anybody know how to do that? I'll go into more detail as the project moves forward, wanted to get this posted for motivation.
  2. MobyJack

MobyJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe this is very similar to a P150X. It has a Dellorto carb. As I take the top end off maybe someone can verify this...?
  3. Kismet

Kismet vagrant philosopher

Oddometer:
    Your State Dept of Trans probably has a way to get a title. If not, Google Vermont's Dept of Motor Vehicles. (Yes, really). It is absurdly simple. @ $70 They'll mail you a title and you can transfer it to your state.

Good luck.
  4. MobyJack

MobyJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I once owned a P200E (with a sidecar no less). I'm seeing a lot of things that remind me of that scoot BUT... NO battery (who puts emergency flashers on a scooter WITHOUT a battery?) and it does NOT have oil injection. I'm sure there are those among us that know the Vespa well, let me know what you think about this PGO. And if there is someone in Taiwan checking in; help me find a source for a left mirror and other PGO specific bits. PLEASE.
  5. MobyJack

MobyJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kismet, NV DMV is notoriously difficult in securing a title on a storage unit find like this. I've heard of companies like the one you are referring to, I'm hoping to talk to someone who's actually gone through the process sucessfully. Many thanks. Notice on the VIN plate shot that it states this to be a 1986 model but if you know the USA VIN system you'll see that the 10th digit is an F which indicates it to be a '85 model year vehicle. I wonder how that will fly with DMV when they do their "VIN Inspection"??? BTW, anyone know of a customer-friendly classic Vespa shop on the web who will find this a interesting project and want to lend advise as I do business with them?
  6. Kismet

Oddometer:
    Go to the Vermont website.

I get the impression they just really don't care all that much about 20+ y/o scoots.

Just re-read your post. NOT A COMPANY, IT'S THE DAMMED STATE !!!!!!

Hand written bill of sale works for them.
  7. p_s

p_s Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I don't think many PGOs made it to the USA. Scooterhelp.com and vespamaintenance.com have some good how-tos. The Haynes manuals aren't so good. These engines are very simple though.

One thing: I don't see the flywheel and cylinder covers--they direct the air from the flywheel fan to cool down the top-end. Kind of important. I don't think they should be too hard to find. The scooterbbs.com is the biggest forum for old scooters and a good place to get cheap parts.

I usually order from Scooter Parts Direct, American Scooter Center, or Scooterworks. You might want to try the west coast shops for quicker shipping to Reno--Scooter Shop, Motorsport Scooters, and San Francisco Scooter Centre are the only two that come top the top of my head but there are a few more.
  8. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    You guys realize that PGO is the company in Taiwan making scoots for Genuine. Now it's your turn to put 1+1 together......
  9. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    But they are NOT the ones making the Stellas, if that's what you're getting at. Stellas are made in India by LML.

That said, www.stellaspeed.com, www.scooterbbs.com, and www.modernvespa.com should all have people that can help. I'm not sure how close the PGOs are to being a perfect PX150 clone, but I imagine very, so a lot of Stella/PX150 parts should still carry over.
  10. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Oh, well my bad, I was misinformed obviously. Seems very Stella-ish, so parts shouldn't be an issue.
  11. ritchj

ritchj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PGO :roflSounds almost like Piaggio.

Wanna buy some software from my company - Macrosoft?

skip modervespa for advice on that thing, they'll have never heard of it, ask where the latteholderis , and will need a poll to decide what to do about it. Plus it has gears.....
  12. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should educate yourself before you mouth off...PGO has had a long relationship with Piaggio that many Vespa owners know something about.
    From the PGO website, not exactly a hard source to find:
    "PGO scooter was founded in 1964, entering into technological cooperation with Italy’s Piaggio from 1972 to 1982..."
  13. MobyJack

MobyJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The project begins in earnest Monday. First order of business will be to give it a good scrubbing up, get on the title issue (what good will it be to me if I can't register it?) and put it up on the workstand with all the parts you haven't seen yet assembled nearby. Will be checking out other suggested sites as well but this will be my main base of operation for this endeavor. Thanks to all for the interest you've shown, the advice you've put up and the encouragement I'm getting to make this happen.
  14. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at a Chetak?

[​IMG]

Looking at the horncast area and turnsignals, your PGO seems to share some ideas there. If you get in a bind and some bits from a P series don't look like they'd work, you may want to see if PGO and Bajaj went in similar directions. Bajaj took the PX idea and beefed it up a bit here and there.

As for the motor, as p_s mentioned, I'd get a flywheel shroud and motor shroud on there first thing. Check with scooterworks.

Check in over at stellaspeed, if you haven't already. Great folks and lots of info. They might know something about this model, since there's some good info on the classic scoots over there.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses. :thumb
  15. Kismet

Oddometer:
    Good luck, Mobyjack...

keep undating, if you please.

On the title thing, I'm going the Wisconsin route, but the Vermont thing apparently is reknown with different cycle forums for its simplicity.

:clap
  16. MobyJack

MobyJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked out the Vermont DMV website and in a nutshell it states they don't title vehicles over 15 years old or under 300ccs, etc. Googled "vehicle title services" and found one in Vegas called Int'l Title Service that will actually title AND register it for $165. That's nearly what I'm in the PGO. I know I'll be pumping in the funds once I start twirlling some wrenches but I was hoping I'd get a title FIRST and not spend more than say $60-70 US dollars. I'll keep trying and keep you posted but if anyone has had real-time experience doing this I'd like to hear from you...
  17. p_s

p_s Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend got a title through Broadway Title for a 1960-something Vespa 150 for about $150 in 3 weeks.

Another suggestion is not to throw away any used broken parts away--some parts are one-size-fits-none and the shops are bad enough at sending out the correct parts for common models. This is most common with clutch parts and cables.
  18. MobyJack

MobyJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, not wanting to make an epic out of just getting the title issue behind me, I've decided ITS will be my titling source. Got to speak to real person, Ana, and it all seems easy enough and the least expensive way to go. With that decision made I'll keep you updated on the procedure, ease and speed with which the title is obtained. Feeling confident that I will get the PGO titled I will go ahead and proceed with the cleaning and diagnosis by the start of the next week.
    I've logged onto StellaSpeed and started a thread there (was told that this was the first PGO that had been brought up). Between my ADVrider compatriots and the StellaSpeed activity I am feeling more confident with each entry. Many thanks to you all for the advise and help so far.
  19. Kismet

Oddometer:
    You are doing a service, not making an epic. From what I've seen on local Craig's List ads, and various forums, untitled scooters are more common than titled ones. :rofl

Used to be simple here in WI. That's changed, but it is laborious, not impossible. I'm still going that route.

Good luck on the project.
  20. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    PGO does make all (I think) of Genuine's other scooters, though - should've clarified that in my first post.

MobyJack, best of luck getting this thing back in good form - I'll be following this thread. I've seen a couple PGO PX150-type clones at meets/rallies up here before, so the parts and knowledge have to be out there.