Boots for riding and hiking

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Deacon66, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Deacon66

Deacon66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm getting prepared for a month long trip trough several mountain ranges and want to stop often for some challenging hikes. I would like to ride and hike with the same boots. Any suggestions on the right boots?

Thanks
  2. BryonLewis

BryonLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've started doing some small hikes this year. Typically 2-4 miles up mountains and usually 1500 to 2000ft elevation changes. I might do a couple a day and they will be spaced apart 50-80 miles. I've been using my Joe Rocket Big Bang 2.0 boots and I haven't experienced any major discomfort.
  3. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Probably expensive to export outside UK, but I have had great success with Altberg boots for this. They make hiking boots that have been used for successful Everest ascents and they make Motorcycle boots used by many UK police and army riders.

They also make a lot of boots that crossover between the two, that are excellent dual purpose boots.

The only slight fly in the ointment is that protection isn't up to Enduro boot levels, even if it's still at least as good as most road touring boots. That's fair enough though, no full on Enduro boots would be a serious hikers walking boot of choice, either. ;)

Did I mention that they are "actually waterproof", as opposed to "motorbike boot manufacturers' weird definition of waterproof"?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
  4. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up some salamon goretex boots for this reason. But I picked up these:

http://www.backpacker.com/media/originals/EC_STH_salomon.jpg

They are made for trail running / hiking. They worked perfect in the rain on the bike, and were great on the mountains. But my foot pegs started to tear apart the base of the boots.

I'm sure one of the bulkier trail specific boots would be better.
  5. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I'd estimate that during my desert camping I walk roughly 15 or so miles a day through the deserts of Black Rock city. Last few times I have been in my Gearne balance oiled boots. But I have done it in a [well broken in] pair of CBT lites as well.

If you break in a pair of CBT boots (takes at least 6 months of daily use and riding) then they will get comfortable enough to walk and hike in.
  6. TN3Sport

TN3Sport East TN DS Rider

Oddometer:
    Since you asked about boots, I use the Thor 50/50. It was designed exactly for what you are asking about. Its a mid-shin boot with excellent protection for feet and ankles. They look really nice too. I can easily hike 2 to 3 miles in these across any terrain.

However, good luck finding them in stock. Seem to be running short of supply recently.

I might add, the type hiking you do might determine what you need. Believe it or not, the most popular 'Boot' used on the Appalachian Trail is actually a running shoe. Running shoes are lightweight and have excellent grip. You can put in lots of miles in a running shoe at a fast rate of trekking. (faster than a walk and slower than a run) Having said that, running shoes suck in snow, ice, sharp rocks, and ankle protection. So, it really depends on where you are hiking.

Good luck mate
  7. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    i've done some easier hiking in my fox comp 5 shorties. (great dual sport boots.) they're actually surprisingly comfortable to hike around in, though the soles aren't the best for technical rock hiking, etc.

i don't know that i would want to do any serious technical hikes in them, but i think i would rather do that than ride in hiking boots, personally (they simply don't offer much protection for having the bike fall on your ankle, etc.)
  8. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    They look nice, but as you noted, the price to import is a little steep. Thanks
  9. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    I am considering something like the Danners (quarry)
    http://www.danner.com/boots/quarry/quarry-usa-8.html
    Waterproof and tough. Not sure if they will make good hikers.
  10. TimothyCaseTimothy

TimothyCaseTimothy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the Danner Ft. Lewis for a two week moto/hiking/touring trip through Indonesia...they are AWESOME! Took no time to break in, feel like a glove, not too warm on warm days, but keep your feet warm on cooler days, GoreTex water proofiness...love 'em...I pretty much wear them all the time around town, on the bike, etc.

Really can't say enough...
  11. TimothyCaseTimothy

Oddometer:
    You know I also have the Sidi Goretex Adventure boots and while they are bomb-proof riding boots, they squeak like crazy (have tried every type of oil I could think of) and they just aren't comfortable to walk very far in nor are they very fashionable (if that matters)... My $.02
  12. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Danner Super Rainforest. Watch ebay for a good deal.

13. Hausi1

Hausi1 asd

Oddometer:
    For rides where I plan on hiking too I usually just use my army boots. Not as good protection as enduro boots but I have actually crashed a few time in them and they held up quite good.

Cheers
    Fred
  14. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    Those look sweet, the rainforest do as well (as recommended by another poster). Rat looks like a great option as well. Pretty sure I'm going to go with Danner based on all the feedback, just need to decide which one.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
  15. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    No kidding, could not find them anywhere. I like these but looking for something a bit taller, 8" approx.
    Thanks for the feedback.
  16. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    Found these on amazon for 20% off.. Total is $266... Is that a good deal or marketing magic?
  17. TimothyCaseTimothy

Oddometer:
    That's where I got mine with the same sale price...worth every penny...you know I will say the only drawback I found with the non riding specific boots was that I've gotten a bit of scuffing on the clutch side boot (where normally there would be some sort of armor)...no biggy though...
  18. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    Scuffing adds character IMO. Pulled the trigger and placed the order. Thanks for the feedback.
  19. CanyonRider

CanyonRider Celebrating Festivus

Oddometer:
    I have nothing to add regarding boots, but I have a question for those that ride-to-hike. Riding and hiking are two of my favorite things - just did three days on the AT last weekend. I'd love to ride to a spot for a day hike, but I've always been concerned about leaving my bike at a trailhead for 2, 4 or 6hrs. Anyone else share this concern?

CR
  20. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Combat Lites . Took a couple of days walking around to break in . The cleated sole is better for walking .
    I also have a pair of Adventure Rain that I do a lot of walking in . Not really trying make a fashion statement , just wear what is comfortable .
    I wouldn't want to give up the protection of the Adventure Rain .
    I would look for a lighter hiking boot to carry along .If you are not backpacking or mountaineering , you don't need a heavy boot .