Modified KLR650 or XR650L?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by STBO, Jan 12, 2006.

1. STBO

STBO Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is anybody out there with a heavily modified KLR650 or XR650L for long distance touring? If so can you please post some pictures of your bikes. I used to own an R1150GS and now I'm back in the market for a NEW adventure bike but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I'm also looking into a Caponord, Tiger or F650GS/Dakar. The price of the new bike is what I'm concerned with but not the modifications. I won't have a problem dropping a couple of grand on accessories or mods. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. Johnny KLR

Johnny KLR Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer:
    Why would you need to heavily modify a KLR for distance? Throw a rack, some cans, and a tall screen on it and you're good to go.

[​IMG]
  3. Jeff4680

Jeff4680 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Johny said. Throw the luggage on and go. Not happy with it on the road; corbin seat, get rid of the stock handguards and maybe a bigger screen. More dirt, 606's or Tkc 80's and radiator bars.

[​IMG]

Jeff
  4. NJCapoNut

NJCapoNut Dirty Boy

Oddometer:
    Jeff4680,

Whos handguards are those? And where did you get them?
    And, How are those D606's on the pavement?

Bike looks great dude!!!!
  5. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    here is one on my KLRs...thsi was right before departure from Green Bay to Roatan Honduras...in 8 days...the KLR did flawless..

[​IMG]
  6. STBO

STBO Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey Freeflow, do you have a picture of the front of your KLR? I like your hand guards and windscreen, just wanted a closer look.
  7. machman

machman means well

Oddometer:
    XR650L owner here. ...sorry no pics, at work...

Anywho, with this bike you'd need handle bar risers, larger tank, taller windscreen, and Corbin seat.

You can find a used one with everything but the seat and screen for ~$3,000 with low miles. Nice panniers, a Corbin, and screen will run you another $1,000.

I like the fact that it's proven, air cooled, and bullet proof. KLR is a more street worthy bike if that's your gig though...
  8. Jeff4680

Jeff4680 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry can’t help you out much with the handguards. They are a cheap no-brand Chinese Acerbis knock offs. But they fit well and strong as buggery.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The 606’s…. At first thought went too far towards a dirt tyre after fitting them. Bit spooky on bitumen at first till I got used to them. Was expecting them to walk all over the place in the twistys but was very surprised how stable they are. On wet roads haven’t had them step out yet, then again I’m pretty careful on wet roads at best of times.
    <o:p></o:p>
    On the highway they do vibrate and howl like a banshee but the idiot grin on dirt more than makes up what you lose on the hard stuff. I couldn’t get a set of TKC 80’s in time and they probably would be more suited to my type of riding but am very happy with the 606’s.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Jeff
  9. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill MacAvan at BLM Accesories has a tricked out KLR, AUX fuel cell, HID's V-1 CB etc.

Give him a call
  10. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my way to Ouray, a 400+ mile day. I rode 1500 miles in a week. It's not very modified, but worked for me.
    [​IMG]
  11. kdxkawboy

kdxkawboy Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer:
    I started out touring my klr with a couple of duffles, tent, slepping bag bungeed to the back of the bike. The 1996 SheetIron 300 DS ride
    [​IMG]

Current version has HT panniers and still using bungees to strap down soft luggage for the tail trunk. Added the big IMS tank and got a Corbin flat seat for the multi-day rides. The front forks have all the tricks, the rear shock is a White Power unit, Maier bark busters, Excel rims and HD spokes with an 18" on the back, skid plate, pulled the vapor recovery system, eliminated the safety switches at the starter relay, Dynajet, FMF Q2 pipe, airbox cutouts, sealed battery, pre-1996 DR650 foot pegs and a few other personal changes. Between Ouray and Telluride on the 2003 AMA Colorado Tour.
    [​IMG]

And thats been good enough for about 130,000 miles of riding a whole lot of everything.
  12. STBO

STBO Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!! You said HT panniers, i've never heard of them, do they have a web site? Also your fuel tank is exactly what i'm looking for if I get a KLR, does IMS also have a web site? Man that's a sweet ride, do you have any more pics you can post?
  13. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    If I was buying new, or used stock bike, I'd go with the KLR. The Suzuki DR650 may also be a better choice than the XRL if road use is what you are looking at. The XR650L can be made into a great touring bike but it will cost a little more than the KLR and another thing to consider is that its tall. A tall bike gets anoying when you are getting on and off it alot and its loaded. When I've had my bike loaded down. about the only way I could get on and off it was to put down the kickstand and stand on the pegs.
    I think all the Jap single cylinder bikes are going to be dependable. Pretty much any mechanic anywhere can fix one, the choice is if you want air cooled simplicity, or liquid cooled piece of mind.
    One of my riding buddies bought a KLR last fall and its pretty much got the same limits as my XRL. Mines a bit better off road, and his has a more comfy seat and ergos.

[​IMG]

Here is my bike loaded for a trip. The XR did great!

[​IMG]

A little overloaded on this trip. It was my first moto camping trip and I brought a little too much stuff, just ask Freeflow! Oh well.

Good luck on your bike decision!
  14. STBO

STBO Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So do you guys think that the KLR would make a dependable adventure touring bike if the majority of the touring I do will be on the super slab?
  15. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out Esteban's ride reports. He runs everything from Interstate to gnarly passes on his KLR.
  16. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    the screen in the kawasaki tall sheild...and the hand guards are acerbis rally pros...
    here is a pic of the front of that KLR...tied on the back of a ferry boat in Honduras
    [​IMG]

a fun ride report from last fall...3 KLRs...out west

versatile machine if you plan alot of road riding

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101685

Hey STBO.....coming froma GS...consider a Suzuki Vstrom DL650....to me it is a mini GS....alot of the same features...and exact same tire size for instance..my wife on the vstrom me on the GS, they are a pretty good match...and about the same as road biased

[​IMG]
  17. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I'm sure what he meant by HT panniers is Happy Trails brand
    http://www.happy-trail.com/category.aspx?categoryid=16&openid=16
    They make lots of cool stuff for lots of different bikes. The prices aren't too bad either.
    Here is another source for panniers
    http://www.klr650.com/alTourBox.htm
    They are out of stock now, but a good deal when they have them.
  18. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Dang Jeff, Ya just gotta keep showing me that Vstrom pic don't cha? That sure is a nice looking bike!

b.t.w.
    How do you like that Kawasaki tall shield? My friend is looking for something for his for when we do that saddlesore 1000. Does that eliminate that helmet buffeting caused by the stock shield?
  19. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Here are some close ups of the Rally Pros installed on mine. The bars are Pro-Taper SE's ATV high bend. The install was easy and everything fits and clears nicely. I highly recommend them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. STBO

STBO Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those really are good looking hand guards Mr.G. Is there a spoiler that Acerbis makes for that particular guard? Your mirriors are really nice too, do they work as well as they look? Who's the manufacturer of those?