New Lynx Fairing for the KTM 690 from Britannia Composites

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Ian B, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer:
    I'ts been a couple of months in the making, but we have now completed the new Lynx for the 690. If ever there was a bike that benefits from the Lynx it has to be this bike.

The upper half of the fairing sticks closely to the other Lynx models and shares the same Hella rally lights and sliding screen system. However, the lower part is designed to match in with the KTM front fenders and the fairing convieniently mounts to the two threaded holes already there on the top of the bottom triple clamp.

Fitting is pretty straight forward with no drilling or alteration to the bike and the OEM turnsignals are retained in the stock position

Cost is the same as the other Lynx's at $465 and details will be up on the website shortly. Units will be available in about 10 days.

Here's some pics

Attached Files:

• 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      141 KB
      Views:
  2. Ian B

Oddometer:
    And another .........

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      159.7 KB
      Views:
  3. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Nice job Ian, looks great!
  4. Jasext

Jasext Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very different and very nice :clap.

How much in total shipped to the uk ?
  5. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's nice!!!
  6. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Looks great Ian! Thanks for putting that together for us :lol3.

What light options are there for the fairing? If HID are they street legal? Any chance you have or could make a HID Bi-xenon projector beam option? I'd love to have 100 watts of street legal HID power!
  7. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    I am sure the HID option will be available for this one. I have them in my Lynx fairing on my WR250X and I have never had better lighting on a bike, ever.
    The stock Lynx lights are reported to be very very good but I have been VERY impressed with the HIDs in mine. I never had the halogens to compare to.
  8. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Same light options as on the other Lynx fairings ie, HID upgrade on one or both lights. The standard halogen lights are DOT approved and this is stamped on the bottom of the lenses. It not legal to change ANY bulb in a headlight, but having DOT stamped on the lamps and the fact that the lights are virtually identical to Hellas HID version, mean that it would be a difficult call to tell them apart. There has never been a problem with the law as far as I am aware and unlike some HID conversions, these remain very focused and don't throw light all over the place, blinding other drivers.

That said, the standard Halogens will be about 5 times brighter than the OEM light and be similar to the light given off by a small car. HID will up that by about 40% and be a much whiter/daylight type light.

The Hella 90mm bi-exeon will fit straight in, but each light costs nerly as much as the fairing !! $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Frankly, not really worth it.

Ian
  9. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Ian, how does the new 690 Lynx fairing mount?

Does it utilize the OEM fairing mounting lugs, OEM holes in the lower triple, or is there drilling & tapping to do?

I have one of the "generic" Lynx fairings with HID low-beam and Halogen hi-beam, and it's a truly great setup for light, especially given how poor the OEM light is.
  10. Knobbiethrower

Knobbiethrower ADV in ADK

Oddometer:
    Speaking to Ian, he also mentioned this will be an easy adaptation to my 2008 KTM 530 too.
  11. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the HID stay on when you use your halogen high beam?
  12. Ian B

Oddometer:
    One of the motivating factors in creating a KTM specific Lynx, was to make the fitting of the bottom of the fairing much easier and to avoid having to drill any holes or fit some sort of bracket.

So, the bottom of the fairing locates straight onto those two threaded holes on the top of the bottom triple. In fact the bottom of the fairing is like a 'tongue', that fits under the plastic shield and on top of the triple. The plastic shield and all other OEM parts (including the indicators and speedo platform) all remain in place, which makes this instalation much more straightforward than on some Lynx versions. Not having to deal with the ignition switch also makes for an easier and quicker instal.

Ian
  13. Ian B

Oddometer:
    All of our fairings are wired the same way. The low beam remains on when high is selected. This is the case for any of the light combos. Speaking of which, some may be concerned about the power draw of two 65w halogens on the standard setup. The Lynx has been fitted to quite a lot of 690's now and it appears the bike cope with the standard halogens with no problem. However, guys who operate heated clothing in northern climes, would be advised to consider HID (35w draw) on at least on the low beam, to save some juice for the clothing
  14. Ian B

Oddometer:
    I am checking it out today, but I am pretty sure that the two holes that are present on the top of the bottom triple are a standard width apart on the 450 and 530's. If so, this fairing will fit accross the KTM range. I will also be checking out ignition positions and indicators, so that we can produce a 'generic KTM' Lynx as well as the 690 specific one.

Ian
  15. Para504

Para504 Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done Ian! Looks like a great match for the 690 & wish I had it for the TAT...
  16. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I think I understand :scratch Are you saying the HID's are not DOT but don't really bother the oncoming drivers? Personally I'm not worried about them being DOT but I don't want to blind oncoming drivers. Could I use the HID's on the road?

Fisherman do you get flashed much on the road?

I've got the 08 with the bigger headlight and run a 130/80 watt H4 bulb with no alternator issues. (It's 130 on low and 80 on High and I mostly use low).
  17. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    I was running a Phoenix twin fairing (BC's fairing for the KLR, same headlights) with the HID low and I never got flashed. They are fully adjustable in the fairing and have a defined cut-off. Lot's of clean light, no lines and no scattering. Very wide beam too which is great for the sides of the road or trail and makes you more noticeable when coming up beside drivers.
    They are actually very similar in look and function to the projector beam HID lights on a lot of BMW cars etc.
    Yes you can use them on the road no problem :D

If there's anybody in Washington State looking at this fairing you can see it live (and Ian's new Mirage 2 for the F8GS) at the Vancouver Moto Show Jan. 20-23rd 2011. Booth #805 with Moto Overland.

http://www.vancouvermotorcycleshow.ca/

Thanks!

Dave
  18. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Ian, that sounds like an outstanding improvement, and addresses exactly the issues I had with installing the generic model.
  19. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    With the HID low beam on my Lynx, I never think about wanting more light. In fact I almost never use my high beam, the low works so well. Clean cutoff and pattern, no blinding of oncoming cars, pleasant color (white), not the awful blue that some seem to like. I turn on my halogen high beam once in a while to make sure it still works and to remember what it looked like. It works quite well, but compared to the HID, it takes second seat and is a bit yellow. I keep a halogen hi beam for easy remote field replacement parts. I can swap bulbs between housings. I have had to do that in the past with similar 2 lamp setups.
  20. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear the HID stays on with the high beam!!

Ian,

Will the fairing have that nice orange/black combo like the one in the picture?:evil

Thanks!!