triumph tiger 800 - fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Mr noname, May 15, 2011.

1. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Same here. I average 49mpg on the Tiger. Daytrips, the occasional commute, weekend trips.
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    MIxed riding, 2012 roadie, 20634 map, stock exhaust. Worst of 42, best of 49. I'm not at all light on the throttle. Mileage may vary by up to 2 mpg when using side cases versus just using the top case.

I typically gas up around 215 miles and show 4.5 - 4.6 gallons purchased. Assuming a 5 gal capacity tank as published I probably have up to 235 miles of usable fuel on average before I'm walking.
  3. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    My XC has been using some fuel lately. I ran a tank of non-ethanol gas & got 28mpg. I'm using a LeoVince muffler & arrow tune. I enjoy revving thru the gears & I can't control myself. I have never gotten better than 48mpg (stock can & tune).
  4. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recently I compared runs with E10 petrol and "honest" 98 and turns out my Tiger does considerably better on E10.
    And engine sound as well as vibrations are "softer". Go figure...
    Record is 388 km on the tank and 40 km left according to computer. This is mostly highway riding, 120 to 160 kmph.
  5. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah! Here is reason (translated from triumph site Germany)
    "Triumph models tolerate E10 biofuel

Good news for owners of Triumph Motorcycles: Triumph ALL models of the Hinckley era since the year 1990 E10 gasoline tolerated with ten percent blending of bio-ethanol.

Triumph rider can track the fuel discussion completely relaxed - ALL Triumph engines tolerate the new, offered from the beginning of 2011 E10 fuel (10% blend of bio-ethanol). This applies to all models of the Triumph Hinckley era since Year 1990 (Manufacturer's code number 2014). In addition, the use of E10 fuel does not affect the vehicle warranty.

In Germany, the so-called bio-ethanol gasoline is mixed. It is only produced from biomass ethyl alcohol previously added to a maximum of five percent. This forced admixture was doubled at the beginning of 2011, affected are the fuel that "normal" and "Super" (91 and 95 RON), while "Super Plus" (98 RON) also contains only five percent bioethanol.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Triumph has made long-term experience with E10?
    Yes, we have. When we started in 1995 to sell vehicles in the U.S. market, there was an E10 widespread coverage in the market. Inasmuch as we now have 16 years experience E10.

Have negative impacts expected during long periods of the motorcycle?
    No. We have in this regard so far no negative experiences, and do not expect any.

Are there any special maintenance requirements for E10 users regarding oil change intervals?
    No.

By the DAT list published on the Internet speaks of E10 compatibility. A user can assume that the durability of the engine and the fuel system is almost synonymous with the use of E5 fuel?
    Absolutely. With the durability of the engine and fuel system, we do not see any problems. Only the motor performance may be due to the slightly lower energy density of bio-ethanol is slightly lower and the fuel consumption increase slightly. We speak here of very small differences in the driving operation hardly perceptible.

What if, despite compatibility promise but it is damaged by E10?
    We do not expect any damage resulting from the use of E10. The vehicle warranty remains of course in full force."
  6. wi_pilot

wi_pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, Hawker 800XP in Telluride, CO. Have fun on your trip!
  7. Flyboy52219

Flyboy52219 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    200 mile trip on pavement today yielded 53 mpg. Have noticed a steady increase as the engine ran through its break in period.
  8. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    I finally figured out how some T8 owners are getting 50+mpg. If you shift into 6th gear ASAP & keep the rpms below 4k, then you'll get 50+mpg. That said, how the hell can you enjoy riding a motorcycle like that? I was totally bored out of my seat riding below 4k rpms. I did it one tank of gas (I only messed up one time) just to see if my T8 could get 50mpg & it did. I'm using a LeoVince muffler w/the quite core & arrow tune. I did learn an appreciation for the torq & ability to ride in 6th without downshifting, but it was still boring.
    The rpms vs mpg is the ONLY reason I reinstalled the 16th front sprocket. I loved the 15th everywhere except the interstate. Unfortunately, I hop on the interstate almost everytime I ride so I had to switch back to the 16th. I plan to buy a 17th for long interstate halls.
  9. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    When I want to go crazy with the engine, I have other bikes for that.

I personally enjoy the mileage that the Tiger is giving me.
  10. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    2011 800XC - Last tank yielded 32.04 mpg. This was a dual sport ride of 141miles with 85 of those ridden on lower speed (mostly 2 & 3rd gear)dirt roads. Stock exhaust with stock factory tune that came on the bike.

On street rides, I usually get 41-49 mpg depending on the frequency of right wrist spasms.
  11. LotusKTM

LotusKTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info here. Quite a variance in mileage.
    Changing your own mapping using Tune ECU site........
    Is that pretty easy to do? I haven't looked to where the ECU is on the Triumph. Under the seat I am guessing.
    Buy a cable and download the correct Tune for your bike and hook it up. Anything else??? Obviously, I have not done this before. Cable from where??? I see one place on eBay that sells them. Are they all the same? Some better than others??
    I just want to see how much, if any, is the difference between the stock and and Arrow tune. Performance and MPG.
    Am I correct that if you have an Arrow can on it, the Arrow tune is a must to use?? Richer "jetting"??

Love the bike. Hate it when the wife keeps comparing her MPG on her Wee to my XC tho. (Dang her).

Thanks Mates.

Thanks for all the great info this site has provided.

Dick
  12. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Recently mounted a Leo Vince and loaded the Arrow map. I realize cooler temps and winter fuel may be contributing to this, but the mileage has dropped to 40 mpg. The dealer tells me everybody who puts on an after market muffler gets worse mileage......that we just can't keep our right hand from twisting. I'll be interested to see if spring fuel and warmer weather will bring the mpg up to the original 48-50 mpg I was getting.
  13. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    You don't need the Arrow map for the Leo Vince as far as I know. And the map is what destroys mileage, not the can.
  14. strider.deano

Oddometer:
    The map was load for the fun factor knowing it would devastate the mileage. The map definitely adds some hp :evil.

I'll probably load the standard map come spring.
  15. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I kind of doubt that - maybe just a little, but very likely nothing significant. It might make low and mid range response better, but I doubt it'll add HP high up. Would be interesting to see a full dyno chart.
  16. strider.deano

Oddometer:
    Yes it would!!!

I'll see if I can get a dyno run this winter
  17. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Yes, ECU is under the seat next to the battery but the connection plug/socket is under the rear seat. The cable you need is the same cable that's sold for the VolksWagen group cars or VAG compatible. And NO, they're not all the same apparently.
    The Arrow tune richens it up all through the revs. Some people say it gives more go. Some people say it smooths out the power delivery. ALL say it uses a lot more fuel.
  18. OB1UK

OB1UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a wide range from my 2011 Tiger 800XC (UK gallons).

On a long solo ride with just a rucksack with a steady motorway speed of 70 mph, gently rolling on/off the throttle, I managed 62 mpg with the fuel warning light coming on at around 200 miles.

Last week, while travelling through France, still solo but with full Metal Mule panniers and at 90 mph with a very strong head wind, the fuel warning light came on at 99 miles - that's around 30 mpg! :eek1

It all goes to show that how you ride, what you're carrying and what the weather conditions are will dramatically influence your fuel economy!
  19. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cannot believe this bike!!!

I get 58-63 mpg even when riding like a Hooligan! I am at a higher altitude, so that helps... Still pleasantly surprised though!
  20. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    good to hear the Tiger is getting great mileage..how many KM's do you have on your bike?