Foot dislocation (Lisfranc Displacement)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by blaster11, Sep 29, 2012.

1. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Let me guess he was just trying to get smart and was searching for some information......
  2. Wintyfresh

Wintyfresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had the same injury about a decade ago after crashing my little XL250.

[​IMG]

Everything works just fine now, tho I always have advanced warning when it's going to rain. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!
  3. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Damn dude, lots of breaks and dislocations! Do you have hardware still in there? I see it's your first post as well...welcome!
  4. bartman314

bartman314 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    incredible story, and recovery. :clap
  5. Wintyfresh

Wintyfresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Nope, no permanent hardware although the whole thing was held together with pins for a number of months while it healed.
  6. Ken F

Ken F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your recovery. I did this Nov 23rd.can't wait to ride.I know I could but don't want to chance it yet.[​IMG]
  7. blaster11

Oddometer:
    It's quite interesting how much more movement I have in all my toes and that the numbness that I was experiencing is gone as well since the screws were removed. I went and hung out with some folks today and watched them ride, foot is feeling better every day. I am putting more weight on it today but still using a crutch as it is still quite sore. The way things have progressed in just a couple of days I am sure that in a week I will be back to where I was just before they removed the screws. :clap
  8. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Well I got the screws out on the 20th and I was supposed to wait until tomorrow to unwrap my gift but I just couldn't wait! :lol3 Thanks Doc!!! Here is what it looks like with one screw removed, another one mostly backed out, and the pin he uses for a guide, I can't say I exactly understand the pin guide thing but it seems to work so what the Hell.
    [​IMG]
    The gauze wrap came off and then the clear covering and pad which was a bit soaked through.
    [​IMG]
    Left side of foot
    [​IMG]
    and top of foot
    [​IMG]

As you can see there are a couple of stitches in each one of the entry/exit wounds, which will be ready for removal on Sunday the 30th, I plan on doing those myself. :evil

After taking the bandages off and examining my foot it appears that the swelling is way less and the pooling of blood is way less as well. The foot is looking much more like the other one in size and color, which should make it way easier to get into a riding boot.....when its ready :D

Things are progressing well and I am able to tolerate a bit more weight each day. I think I have only taken 5 or 6 pain pills since the removal of the screws. I just hate taking meds but then again I am probably a bit grumpy because I am not taking them.....ok definitely more grumpy!
    I have to say that I was concerned/worried about what to expect when I went in for the screw removal. Now several days have passed and nothing bad has happened so it really was no big deal. :D

Planning of my next big adventure can continue......Merry Christmas!
  9. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    As to using the wire as a guide:

Less digging/stripping tissue from bone with a big tool(insert PAIN here). Also keeps you from stripping out the head of the screw(just went from a minor procedure in the office to a trip to the O.R.).
  10. blaster11

Oddometer:
    OK, but once they find the screw head how do they get the screwdriver in the head? Does the screwdriver have a hole in it that the wire slides through?
  11. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    Ding Ding Ding. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Tools are cannulated as well as the implants.
  12. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Cannulated got it....now that gives me something to use my Google Fu on. :D I understand now!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Saddle up. If I don't get him back in saddle, I'll have to buy some Pickle Stickers soon :D

[​IMG]
  14. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Well this morning we removed the stitches from the incisions, everything looked good. Now all I have to do is start working my way back into a shoe but that won't start to happen until later this week. :D
    It's weird how the small advances are the ones which make the largest difference, for example last night was the first night in three months I have been able to get up and walk to the bathroom, although a bit gimpy, I still walked without assistance. Nice!
  15. blaster11

Oddometer:
    So I went for my first ride since the accident today, about 80 miles! :clap Probably a bit premature by doctor standards but I needed it and it is New Years day so I wanted to start off the new year right. No problems and my foot feels fine, I probably won't go for another ride for a little while longer...probably when I am more comfortable in a shoe. Overall a very happy day for me. :D
  16. blaster11

Oddometer:
    So today was the first day of the transition back to regular shoes. The plan was/is to wear a regular shoe for an hour and then back to my boot for 4 hours. Lets just say that those words are more easily written than executed...wow was that hard on my foot today!!!!:eek1 I think I did about 3 hours total in a regular shoe today and my foot is FRICKING KILLING me! More stitches please, ok just kidding. :huh I guess I am going to have to take it a bit slower, I thought I was going to have to leave work and come home today it got so bad. Whine off. :lol3
  17. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Just a small update...the transition back to a shoe is going pretty well. I have been able to wear a regular shoe all day for the past 3 days. When I get home from work my foot is still swollen and sore but I am making progress. Usually the swelling goes down over night if I haven't pushed too hard the previous day. I am riding a stationary bike about 4 days a week now for 30 minutes each session which I think is pretty good considering. Next week I will start with some leg presses and calf strengthening exercises....all in moderation and what I can tolerate. It seems that if I push it a bit and make it sore and then rest it for a day or so it comes back stronger, I don't know if this is good but it seems to be working. I also went riding this past weekend and put on about 400 miles....it sure was good to be back riding again. Unfortunately I still can't get my foot into my riding boots so I have been wearing hiking boots, not the best I know.
  18. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    Great news!! :clap
    Vanishing Point likes this.
  19. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Yep, I am really happy with the progress I have made. Everyone always asks what type of physical therapy I am doing and the answer is that the doctor did not prescribe any other than walking....that when I get the strange looks. :huh He is like the #2 orthopedic surgeon in the country and every time line he has given me has been dead on so I have to keep believing at this point. A lot of riding and training to do this year. :D
  20. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Last night marked an major milestone. At first, Blaster was filled with trepidation leaving the knee scooter outside his reach in a public bathroom. Scared that he'd be left marooned if someone stole it. Then he proudly zipped around town, really the envy of every little kid who wanted one. Then the knee scooter fulfilled its' duties as shopping cart to the kitchen and to the Great Room and back.

For a while now though, it has sat idle staged at the foot of the bed, much like you might poise a fire truck awaiting for the next big alarm fire. Then last night, the knee scooter was called to action. He threw his leg on her, and zipped out of the bedroom. While you never forget how to ride a bicycle nor a knee scooter, he was bit shaky on it as it had been a month since he had been using it daily.

The door to the spare bedroom squeaked open, and Blaster returned on foot. :clap Yes, that was the final ride for the knee scooter. I guess this officially symbolizes closing the chapter. Time to refurb the broken knob and get the knee scooter sold in the next month.

Today, is also marks the end of the schedules for transition from his metal boot to his hiking boot. Nothing but a few more months before he's 100% show-ready!