SEQ Australia Overnighter.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Watson, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over a period of a year or so, my mate had decided it was time to get an adventure bike. I was in the market for another bike too after a stint of drifting and circuit racing in cars. I had my eye on WR250Rs from back when I was looking at bikes, so we decided with all the riding we would be doing together, we would get the same bike for interchangeability of parts etc. I ended up with a black 2010 and my mate got a blue 2009. Over a number of months, goodies were purchased and fitted (check my build log here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678192) and we headed off on a couple of short rides. The moons finally aligned for our first "adventure ride".

I geared up and left my house in the morning for work:

[​IMG]

Nice place to hold my servo bought lunch: between the screen and bars:

[​IMG]

Finished work at 12pm and was all geared up and ready to go:

[​IMG]

Headed out toward Imbil with a quick stop: Michel had a bug in his helmet and I had one in my eye!

[​IMG]

Through Imbil and onto Bella Creek Road:

[​IMG]

First rest stop was the first of our little water crossings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On through Kingham which is a deer farm, some of the deer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out onto Kilkoy Murgon road for an awesomely fast blast:

[​IMG]

Quick stop along the way:

[​IMG]

Fuel and redbull stop in Murgon:

[​IMG]

Checked out my old digs in Cloyna:

[​IMG]

Then up Cobb Hill for a nice little detour, great little bit of riding and sweet views:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shadows were starting to get long along the way to our camp site:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our camp spot for the night, a free camp area off the side of the road:

[​IMG]

Some great camp food, a great fire and some not so great cheap Port for me..... my belly paid for it in the morning:

[​IMG]

Waking up fresh as a daisy the next morning.......or not so much:

[​IMG]

Our camp in the morning, time for coffee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All packed up:

[​IMG]

The first track of the morning was an absolute cracker, LOVED it. A lot of burning off happening around the place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting spot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed off on a pretty knarly little uphill side track with brilliant rewards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here, cruising along, I came across two Dingo. They are in these pics somewhere, don't ask me where:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pulled in for morning tea at the end of the track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit of bitumen then on to Running Creek Road toward Kilkivan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another awesome track that one was too! Into Kilkivan, but blasted straight through:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw some sights, loved Michaels comments about this one "There was nothing here except a sign, no wonder everyone moved to the site with all the buildings!"

[​IMG]

On the track toward the Chimney we had come to see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A goat in here somewhere:

[​IMG]

Checked out the sights of the Chimney:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here, the maps said that we could keep going on to our next section, again a great section of track:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until you get to this:

[​IMG]

We did a bit of exploring of the tracks to try and find a way around it, some slow turning around caused this :rofl :

[​IMG]

Its funny how long someone will leave their bike on it's side while you get our your camera!

Happened to Michael again here, but no photo evidence, getting off the bike while on its side stand, just went over!

[​IMG]

Did a good recheck of the maps here to see what would be the best option, back into Kilkivan and around to a different track that would take us through. Coming back down from up there, Mick had another tumble, on a steep rocky downhill section, his front washed out and he went over. No damage to himself, a few scratches on the tank and an awesome McGuyver fix on a brocken strap on his back pack:

[​IMG]

So around we went and came through a great National Park section:

[​IMG]

Through forestry areas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was not too confident in the road choices etc, but we were headed at least
    in the right direction. Through Gallongowan:

[​IMG]

The firetower:

[​IMG]

I thought I knew where to go from here, but I still got us a bit lost. We ended up back on the Kilkoy Murgon road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to just take the Kingham-Bella Creek Road back through which we had done the previous day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting late, one last water crossing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just past here, my new iPhone decided to fly out of my tank bag, just because I left the top open....how rude! Luckily it was not damaged one little bit. Not bad for a 70kph off onto gravel and rocks! Found it just off on the rocks beside where Michael is standing, BTW all pics were taken with my iPhone and this one was just after it had it's big off!

[​IMG]

Into Imbil, feeling pretty weary with a last stretch of Bitumen to get us home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, that is it. Great ride with a great mate. I am so happy to have a really close mate (we have been friends since we were toddlers) to do all my riding with now, much better than the Solo adventures I am used to. All up we did about 600KM over the two days. I hope you enjoyed reading. Michael should be along soon to add a Video if he ever edits the damn footage!
  2. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report and pics,got my doubts about the alleged dingoes and goat :dunno but I will take your word for it.
  3. boy60

boy60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Joe.
  4. Dan_B

Dan_B Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer:
    Good job Joe! Nice to see some of the areas around me... Now just to get out there and see em myself!
  5. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    Joe great ride report looks like a top area to spend a few days thanks for taking the time to share with us
    Russ:clap:clap:clap
  6. rj72

rj72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a great trip. Nice pics too. I love the "convict campsite" pic, I laughed so hard.
  7. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joe. I love riding that Booubyjan Road.

In the range a few k's to the east of the "convict campsite" ( "early 1880's" is a bit misleading---out by 50 or 60 years I'd reckon"), if you keep your eyes peeled you can see some old convict built stonework culverts.

I might slip out there tomorrow for a ride.

EDIT

Found a picture. If you're up that way again keep an eye out. It's on the northern side of the road on that short bit of bitumen that goes over the range which I think is sign posted "Thomsens Gap".

(Hey, I know it's not much, but with so little (colonial) history, you gotta make the most of what you've got) :lol3

[​IMG]
  8. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing Joe ... do u have the route saved on the 60csx .... might pop out there
  9. Son of Groomspa

Son of Groomspa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh no, some one with a wr250r came riding through my town and I missed it...ahhhh!!!
    Great report Joe, if I had of known you guys were heading out this way I could of shown you some other nice sites in the area.
  10. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Woopwoop: I read about that AFTER we got back from the ride, will have to check it out next time I am up that way.

Bomber: Yeah, I will have it saved on my Zumo, I will get it off and send it to you.

Son of Groomspa: I would love a guide around that area, I am sure there are many more tracks that I just don't know about.
  11. BBRadar

BBRadar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the lack of video. Spent hours cutting it together and now everytime I try and save it using Windows Movie Maker Live it shits itself from both ends! :kboom

Getting very frustrated with this and going to try find some other software that's n00b friendly.
  12. towie247

towie247 Knees in the breeze

Oddometer:
    Nice looking ride guys!
  13. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joe :D
  14. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some reason it only saved day two. If you want, I can e-mail the GPX file to you?
  15. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
  16. Dusty Rhodes

Dusty Rhodes Yowie Chaser

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great couple of days out :thumb

Cheers.
  17. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    thanks for the email Joe :clap

hi Dusty :wave
  18. trgbox

trgbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice 1 guy's. :wave
  19. BBRadar

BBRadar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    wow love the Vid BB ... what camera did u use for that .... looks the bollox :wink: