Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Im trying to understand, your riding when its wet out and your worried about your passenger getting wet? Is this right? Do I need to remind you that your on a motorcycle?:rofl
  2. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    We are talking about road grime and dirt. Water is no bother. Wet is fine, dirty and wet, well I guess it depends on the context.:lol3
  3. NaDSoB

NaDSoB The garage is full.

Oddometer:
    I don't think that it is a length issue so much as its shape. I think the triangle shape lets the spray up and by on both sides of it..[/QUOTE]

I said the same thing to my ex-wife once. I didn't have a motorcycle back then, though.
  4. fbj913

Oddometer:
    I would just try to convince her there is nothing you can do about it. :lol3
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I just have mine sitting under the passenger seat. Can't imagine it getting real wet in there.
  6. Seb1234

Seb1234 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    does any of you have mounted a tool tube that fits with the Givi PLR pannier mount ?

Thank you
    Regards
  7. shadygrady

shadygrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After watching the BMW crash video and reading about the incident http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236, I decided to try installing dual front brake lines myself. I ended up changing out the rear line as well and reusing the front fender/fork guards instead of buying new ones. It may not be the prettiest to some but it will work for me. Still waiting on the banjo bolts and a dealer brake bleed to finish. I have ABS so it was a little more involved. After it was all said and done, it cost under $200.
    [​IMG]
    Beside it being safer off-road, it looks so much better without the low fender IMO
    [​IMG]
    I may order some KTM brake line guards that I tried to recreate here with little success :huh I had to reinforce the lower fork guard with bent steel riveted to the guard. Seems to be sturdy enough and shouldnt vibrate or rub on the upper fork.
    [​IMG]
  8. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    ^ So you're going to run it with NO fender at all on the front wheel ?
  9. shadygrady

shadygrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The fender is mounted to the lower triple tree, so it turns with the wheel. Basically a high fender mount but doesnt stick out past the beak when the wheel is pointed straight. We'll see how it works out but I'm guessing it should be ok. Only testing in some mud will tell for sure!
  10. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Got it. I can just about see it in the picture now.
  11. Mr_Chris

Mr_Chris Get away, evil car!

Oddometer:
    But hey, you don't want your chain coming off at 70 and ripping your leg off... after losing 17% power. :huh

Sometimes all the worst case scenario marketing is over the top...

I have a bit of rly elite technology I use, but I keep it in the garage as it's a bit bulky for under the seat. "Bit of 2x4 with a notch on one end" really gets my chain moving for the lube. :rofl
  12. shadygrady

shadygrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Better pics of the fender (and smaller!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Mr_Chris

Mr_Chris Get away, evil car!

Oddometer:
    I went and found a snap from the day of my first flat tyre on the XC, which occurred on the original Deathwings' rear in heavy traffic with me between 2 lanes of ... but anyway I pulled onto the footpath, looking for the dead-center lag bolt I ended up finding, when the bloke who lived there comes down his driveway and asks if I needed any help. So I gingerly rode it up his drive and used a scissor jack from the boot of a Honda to do the trick. Took the wheel to get fixed, and left it like this for a couple hours unattended in this guy's driveway.

Proof that cars do have a purpose!!:rofl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. marloweluke

marloweluke The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:

Sorry fbj913, I promised the pictures the following day, but we had a couple of powder days here and nothing takes priority over powder days, so hence the wait.

[​IMG]

Does my butt look big in this? Hell yeah. I double checked and it is 39" across at the widest point. These pics were taken with my cell phone, so maybe a bit of a fisheye perspective. The right case does stick out a little more than the left, so it is not symmetrical.

[​IMG]

I asked Roger at Caribou cases to mount mine an inch higher then stock for extra lean angle clearance because the leading edge of the case will touch down at about the same time as the pegs start to scrape. As I've already scraped both pegs I don't want the case to lever the back wheel off the ground. Maybe not a common problem.
  15. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had those cases on my previous bike and loved them. Very tough and they don't look like ammo boxes.
    The only negative I had was they were hard to line up to the brackets but once I got the hang of it, no problem. :clap
  16. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    part number A9708214

Just called my dealer, he cant find it in the system. I also went to triumph instructions site and it cannot find the part number?

http://www.triumphinstructions.com/

Since I put on the Heidi Scout on the rear, it throws a ton of road splatter up the back and onto my top box and I don't want to sandblast the anodized coating off of it.
  17. fbj913

Oddometer:
    wow:eek1, I was really hoping that they would be closer in. Right now I am between these bags or the happy trails Denali with the cliff cut. They are 36". http://www.happy-trail.com/Triumph-Tiger-800-800XC/Aluminum-Panniers-Denali-Tiger-800-800XC.aspx I can't decide. I really like the Caribou because my top box is also Caribou. And I think they look tuff and different. 39? ouch! I just did my taxes and am pretty happy with my return so maybe I'll just scratch the entire idea and splurg for the Jesse Luggage. F! so many options!!!:baldy Or maybe Ill just rock my Wolfman Expedition gear for now and decide later. Sorry I'll shut up now.:becca Thanks for the Pics!!!
  18. phillipsrog

phillipsrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But not the Denali. I like how they load a lot better, and they come with a lock. I would have trouble loading the Pelicans, and any time I wanted something, the whole load would probably come tumbling out.

HT makes great stuff, I got the Tetons 7.5-inch. I think they look great on the bike. There's room on the left side for extra storage, like tool tubes, or a bracket that holds a tool roll (HT makes one for their racks). Tetons are considerable smaller than the Denali, but I still have plenty of room on back for drybags, and the lid on the Teton clears when the back is fully loaded with sleeping bags and dry bags.
  19. fbj913

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. I already have the racks. So thats why I lean towards those for the most part. I think I'm just going to chill with my expedition bags for now. I just cant justify the money. And I don't think I would end up liking hard bags.
  20. marloweluke

marloweluke The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    I also looked at the HT cases, but having read some ride reports (no jobs, no responsibilities, no better time then now) where BigAl starts his trip to South America with Pelican cases and manages to destroy one, then gets HT cases and totally destroys them and vows to stick with Pelican I decided to stick with Pelican also. It is only one man's experience, but if you look at some of the unrepairable damage done to the HT cases and also the racks it is pretty convincing. The case liners solve the main issue with side loading cases so for me it's all good. If I never carried a passenger I would never have gotten hard luggage, but such is the price for companionship.:wink: So if you're going solo, stick with the soft luggage would be my advice.