The BMWs are (finally) coming

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by elamofo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. mamba24

mamba24 ScRaM pUpPeT

Oddometer:
    Thinking of trading my 09 tmax now....:evil
  2. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    All of my local dealer's BMW scoots are already sold...the first one was a Tmax rider who traded in his scoot.
  3. mamba24

mamba24 ScRaM pUpPeT

Oddometer:
    Updates?, any reviews from the new owners... Would like to hear from you guys before i decide to pull the trigger, thanks.
  4. JimInSF

JimInSF n00b

Oddometer:
    New owner (and new poster) here but I don't pick it up 'til the morning - I will update with reviews.

I rode both the Sport and GT before making my decision, and I think I actually liked the ride of the Sport a wee bit better as I'm used to a stiffer suspension from my Sprint ST, but it probably just needs a little more preload for my fat rear, and I think I'm in the minority in this respect. In the end, I could not give up the better looks (IMHO) and more importantly immense storage of the GT.

In the meantime, they're actually doing a series on the GT over at webBikeWorld, having purchased one and planning to use it as a long term tester and documenting upgrades, etc. - check it out.

EDIT: As far as first impressions go, it has more power and more secure and stable handling than other scooters, much more like a motorcycle - and it was this combination that won me over. I'd ridden a Silver Wing and an MP3 500, but neither had the combo of secure handling for back road blasts and enough power to flow easily with L.A. freeway traffic. That, and the full spectrum of modern motorcycling conveniences, won me over. The availability of 95 liters of storage without the width of saddlebags, and the comfortable and flexible riding position (I can literally extend my legs to locked knees, or ride bolt upright, or anything in between) is a thing of beauty. Can't wait.
  5. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1

Been subscribed to the Youtube channel since day one and following the
    web site for years, it's very underrated and the posted stuff really can't
    be any better.
  6. gscrasher

gscrasher Motorcycle poor

Oddometer:
    I rode a GT demo yesterday. This was the first CVT scooter I've ever ridden. That is quite a different thing. On my motorcycles, all four extremities are doing something, on the scooter, however, one only really needs the right hand. Quite different, but in a cool way. The first thing that came to mind within about 2 blocks was, "this would be neat to tour on". The weather protection is better than any of my bikes, the seat is very comfortable, aging knees really agree with this type of sitting arrangement. I was surprised at how agile this machine is, that may be attributed partly to the low center of gravity resulting from the flat-lying motor. I had a blast.

But I'm still a motorcycle nut, so I won't be getting one yet.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    has anyone tried bump starting this (key off, key on) at speed yet ?

...the other day I bumped the off switch on my ms3 and killed the engine at about 20mph. the engine braking surprised me, and I bumped the starter to get going again. after I thought about, I tried bump starting (rolling, no starter) and it fired up fine. just curious how many scooters will do this.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    gonna have to try that, nice explanation, thanks !
  9. BerndM

BerndM Shiftless One

Oddometer:
    I test rode the GT a couple of days ago.
    Coming off my R1200RT, I had some preconceived thoughts about "Scooters" most of which were wrong. :lol3

PROS (IMHO)
    Looks & styling
    Great CVT Tranny
    Handling
    Performance/acceleration/braking
    Storage Capacity
    Fun Factor

CONS (again, IMHO)
    A noisy engine
    Nowhere near the wind protection of my RT (made my helmet very loud). Aftermarket windshields should help.
    VERY stiff ride, might need break-in time and shock adjustments
    Too expensive

All in all, it was an enjoyable experience and will cause me some sleepless nights trying to decide whether to buy one and sell the RT.

Regards
    Bernd
  10. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Test road a Sport yesterday at BMW Atlanta. Had about 1000 miles on it.

All I can say is fantastic, quiet, very comfortable, outstanding acceleration, great handling, I loved it.
  11. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I am going to have to stop by our local shop and see if I can get a demo ride.
  12. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better watch out. Mamma will get you if she finds out!