New BMW Scooters

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by oldhippie1, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    There ya go, that makes sense.

I've hit 60 on the 650 a couple times only when putzing along back roads at sub 60ish, probably 50ish speeds enjoying the scenery et al. Think it's recorded on my fuelly once or twice.

I normally get 50+ while keeping it under 65ish on the highway.

Bolting along at 90+ does not render 50mpg or better, but I do that more rarely then putzing along.
  2. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at a few diagrams and reading some technical information on the BMW. There was a mention of a swingarm connected to the transmission, with the final drive chain running in an oil bath. Did I get that right? Is the motor bolted tight to the frame, and the rear wheel can move up and down without the motor moving? I don't know much about maxi scooters.
  3. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have been wondering about this. What do the other maxi scooters have? I drive an antique with a similar swingarm, it is nice to see this good idea back in fashion. The ride is greatly improved, I think, with the engine seperated from the rear wheel inertia.
  4. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 650 Burgy, get maybe 35 mpg. My 400 got 55-60.

Going to test ride the Beamer next week.
  6. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang the CA model must be really different then, I think that's the lowest I've ever heard other than one guy who ran his in power mode all the time.
  7. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    money. Power.
  8. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:

Suzuki lists 38 MPG. The speedos and odos are extremely optimistic, which probably helps inflate the numbers.

Most road tests are in the mid to hi 30s or so.
  9. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    I was actually able to get 49.3 mpg on my Burgman as the best so far. But it's definitely NOT a miser.
  10. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I went by the local BMW Dealer on Saturday and at on both models.

I have to say, they sure are nice. If I was in the market I would go for the touring model but the sport might have actually been a little more comfortable.
  11. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have now taken two test rides, different dealers, both on the GT. I have an older Burgy and definitely plan a new scooter, mostly for in town use. The GT is really nice! Also probably too tall, about the same as my 12GS. I have a 30" inseam and at a stop light am on my toes. This is fine on a GS, due to how and where I ride it. For an in town, stop and go, groceries, parking lots, etc scooter, I found the height tiring and cumbersome. Was happy to get back on the Burgy for a ride home in LA traffic. Really a bummer as I had planned to buy one, have the $$ set aside:1drink. The dealers have both offered me an extended test ride, maybe an hour or more, and I plan to take them up. However, now I plan to go look and the new Burgy as well:eek1
  12. Pilgrim21784

Pilgrim21784 Pilgrim21784

Oddometer:
    Rugby4life: Awesome ride, congratulations! :clap May I ask what you paid for it?
  13. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. As far as price, they aren't discounting them but my dealer wasn't marking them up like some others. They've gotten 3 GTs and 2 Sports so far and the longest one lasted on the showroom floor was 3 days (they were cm used for 2 of them). I'm at 1k miles now and loving the bike.
  14. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    Dang! I made right decision; my Silver Wing gets the same as your 400! My VW does better than the 650... :cry
  15. DandM

DandM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sat on a 650 GT today at Hap's in Sarasota, but no test rides allowed on this scoot per the sales rep.
    Seat was high; Too high for me. Looks like it's built to quality standards. No further looking at this scoot for me.
    Hope all who buy it are very happy and it turns out to be a great BMW product.
  16. mamba24

mamba24 ScRaM pUpPeT

Oddometer:
    I am on a process of trading my Tmax for the c600 sport, hope it works out.
  17. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From everything I have read, the TMax is a little more agile around town, but the C600 is better handling and has better mid-range on the open road.
    I have test-ridden a 650GT and enjoyed the ride.
  18. retroone

retroone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I road one yesterday. :thumb Price tag :huh
  19. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why?
  20. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, after living with the C650GT for three weeks I have some observations that may help others in their buying decision. I bought a Platinum Bronze GT with the Highline package (heated seats, grips and a tire pressure monitoring system). A little history on me; I've been riding since 1980 and commuting daily year-round since '89. This is my 31st bike. I have over 350k miles just on the 9 BMWs I've owned so I'm secure in my motorcycling manhood. I first became involved in the superscooter scene about 2 1/2 years ago when I bought an '05 Yamaha Majesty to use for daily commuting. My other bike at the time was a Yamaha Roadliner which seemed just a bit too large and cumbersome for commuter duty. I soon found myself using the Majesty 80% of the time due to its nimble handling, great mpg, and convenient under-seat storage.
    When it became clear that the BMW scooter was coming to America I decided to get one. I placed my deposit in April and waited impatiently through two launch delays. By the time the bike arrived it had high expectations which it must fulfill.

The Good:
    1. Power
    2. Design & Build Quality
    3. Comfort
    4. Ride Quality

The Bad:
    1. High Center Tunnel
    2. No 'Sport' Mode for Transmission
    3. Engine Noise

Mounting the bike was the first challenge for someone with a 30" inseam. The center tunnel is quite high and my foot tends to scuff across the painted surface every time I get on. Mounting in the traditional motorcycle style is no easier since the passenger seat is about level with the seat on an R1200GS. Once aboard, you notice the roomy seating position and the abundance of legroom. The cockpit is typical touring BMW in instrumentation and switchgear layout. The heating of the seats and grips have low, high and automatic settings. The windshield is infinitely adjustable on the fly. The low position blocks wind blast up to the shoulders and leaves the helmet in clean air. The upright position leaves just a touch of buffeting at the top of my helmet but I can still see over the windshield. I'll probably experiment with aftermarket windshields when they become available.
    When I first pulled away from the dealership I found myself wanting more acceleration for the first 40ft or so. The engine noise is much more noticeable than on the Majesty due to the engine placement between your feet inside the tunnel instead of under your butt as on the Majesty. The effect is reminiscent of driving a speedboat. Initial throttle application is accompanied by more motor noise than movement but when it "comes on plane" the transmission and engine start working together and then acceleration is impressive. The acceleration lag is not really noticeable once you're on the move and roll-on acceleration from 70-90 is quite brisk when needed. This bike was designed to eat serious miles.
    Another difference between the GT and the Majesty is the quality of suspension. Potholes that once rattled my teeth are now a non-issue. Several roads in the area that lead to great twisties are heaved by tree roots growing under them. The condition of the approach roads made the twisties beyond not worth the hassle on the Majesty but are a small price to pay with the ride of the GT. In the twisties the GT rides like a motorcycle (planted and smooth) than a scooter (nimble and darty). On the highway I have noticed the GT is less susceptible to cross winds and turbulence when passing tractor-trailers.
    In summary, I have quit thinking of the GT as an oversized scooter. A more accurate description of its design and function would be of a midsized version of the K1600GT. If you are expecting a strictly scooter experience you will be disappointed by its more substantial feel. If you are looking for something with the convenience and practicality of a scooter plus the addition of serious touring potential you'll find no better vehicle available today.