I'm a boot whore (& a couple of great deals)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mobiker, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted a missive a few days back called "geezer goes atgatt" with my thoughts on searching for gear to go full atgatt as its known today. Lots of views, but virtually no response. I did post that it was boring and it shouldn't be read, so......who knew y'all would listen?

So for this one: its very interesting and everybody should read it and show it to their dogs and cats too.

Boots, I've got boots: 3 pairs of HiTech lightweight boots that I wear for various purposes, a pair of insulated, waterproof Redwing short work boots, a pair of Magnum duty type boots, Timberland short workboots, snow boots, muck boots and now motorcycle boots! I love boots :raabia

I looked at all the bike boots available at the local bike shops. I wasn't that impressed. I decided to just continue to wear my Timberlands or maybe the Magnums. Then I came across a good deal on Bates rider gear boots. These are just workboots, but they are taller than my Timberlands and have sidezips so they'll be easier on and off than the Magnums. I bought a pair of Monterey boots. They came last week. I like them a lot. They fit good and I can tell they'll be comfy and good for walking around off the bike once I break them in. They're pretty stout. Paid $70 here:

http://workboots.com/mens-bates-riding-collection-monterey-lace-sz

They list the regular price as $99, but the cheapest I found them anywhere else was $117. Also, they didn't charge me any shipping, although it now states free shipping over $99.

As far as I can tell the only real compromise regarding safety is the lack of armor for the ankle bones. So I was pretty happy.

Then I found a pair of Alpinestars Web goretex boots for $139. These are on sale at Revzilla for $212.50 and everywhere else for $249.

http://www.teamwinnebagoland.com/index.htm

has some screaming good deals on Aplinestars gear. They do charge $15.00 shipping so the total is $154.99. For Astar gore tex boots. I think its a great deal. They have Ridges for $99 and S-MX 5's for $110. Some other Astar stuff too.

I had been considering the Web goretex's and when I saw this, it was too good to pass up. I'm wearing them now. The fit is good and they fit around my fat calves pretty good. I think I'm going to like them. They don't feel bad walking around in the house.

A note about sizing. I'm a 10.5 in everything except a couple of Florsheim dress shoes which are 10's. They did not have any 10.5's. Revzilla had a sizing note that the Astar US/Euro conversion on these boots was screwed up and several buyer reviews bore this out. So looking at the listings I saw that the US 9.5 was given as a 44. The 10.5's I have around the house range from 43.5 to 44 to 44.5. I took a flyer and ordered the 9.5/44's hoping the euro size was correct. They fit perfect. No way these are 9.5's. I couldn't even get my foot in 9.5's. I don't know if the other Astar boots are this way or not, but the Web's are. I recommend ordering by your Euro size if you get the Webs.

I haven't ridden in either pair yet, but I'm pretty happy with both pairs on first blush. Frankly, I'm tempted to order another pair of the Astars.

Bate's really should add some ankle armor. The toe and heel boxes seem about as stout as the Astars and the leather actually feels just a little thicker. You see posts periodically from people who want boots that offer protection and are good for walking. I think Bates would have a viable alternative with some ankle protection.
  2. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Erm, crush resistance? Impact cut resistance? E.g. www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/87.html

"Tests of 21 well known brands of motorcycle boot against the European Standard, found that none passed the impact resistance test and only half passed the crush resistance test ... However there is evidence to suggest that good boots can significantly reduce the risk of foot injuries (Otte et al, 2002)."

www.satra.co.uk/portal/search.php?q=motorcycle+boots&s=
  3. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as it's a "boots in general" thread, I want say I finally bought a pair of Frye Harness boots last weekend. Only took about 30 years to decide to spend the money. So far they are perfect. Still deciding on what dual sport boots to buy, so I read every boot thread.
  4. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish the link listed the boots that failed. I was just comparing them to the handful of "real" motorcycle boots I've seen. Regarding your link: over 160mm tall - check; sole sown on - check; oil resitant sole check: etc, etc.

Having done extensive "web research" (ha!) it seems that many boots marketed as motorcycle boots provide little or no real advantages over a pair of stout work boots. Look at some of the "riding shoes" marketed by well regarded names. One boot Iooked at locally was a Tourmaster, either response or solution, I think the Bates are definitely more stout.

I'm not an expert and bow to your expertise.

All street gear is a compromise. Its up to the individual to decide where and how much of a compromise he/she is willing to make.
  5. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    All gear is a compromise, you are right.

If you are happy with your boots, well done.

I prefer purpose built stuff, so that's what I buy.

It is GOOD to have choices, and better to exercise them, yes?
  6. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is. With the Astars boots, all I'm missing as far as purpose built gear is pants. And gloves. They're on the list.
  7. Valentino

Oddometer:
    You're missing your pants? Doesn't it get a bit cold when riding?
  8. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know how you feel.
    [​IMG]

Got a pair of Supertech R for 50 bucks. The white motorcross boots were new for 200. (350ish retail). The other motorcross boots were 40 bucks.
  9. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very liberating actually :evil
  10. ColorItBlue

ColorItBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. TheHoff

TheHoff Don't Hassle Him

Oddometer:
    The study about boots not meeting crush resistance tests is from 1997, so I don't think it counts anymore. I'd love to see a study with newer gear tested. Anyone know of one?

The second study they lists says "there is evidence to suggest that good boots can significantly reduce the risk of foot injuries (Otte et al, 2002)." Gee, really? That doesn't seem like breaking news. No need for a study to determine that proper safety gear keeps you safer. More like common sense.
  12. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    My ankle and calf still hurt 4 years after my K1200GT fell on my leg in a crash. Get the best, highest boots you can afford. Other than protecting your head and hands, I suggest that the complex structure of your ankles warrants the best. Work boots are not motorcycle boots.
  13. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good advice. Sorry to hear about your injury. If you don't mind my asking, what boots were you wearing and what boots do you wear now?

The Astars I bought are the most protective boots I've ever had. I'm looking forward to trying them out on the bike. I'm in the process of upgrading from old school atgatt to modern atgatt.
  14. kitsapian

kitsapian Miserly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but it seems less annoying than starting a new one. I need to buy a new pair of boots and this time I want a pair that won't fall apart after a few months.

I'm a daily rider and I appreciate the safety features of purpose-built riding boots but I've been tempted to try a non-riding leather boot simply because I keep destroying purpose-built riding boots. I ride for work, but it's not an office job and there's no way for me to practically switch shoes, so I end up walking in the boots a lot.

I've tried expensive and cheap synthetic boots, mostly touring style, and haven't had a pair last longer than six months before they come apart. I have a pair of Sidi Adventures, but they're a little beastly for daily use (I've tried).

Anyway, what I'm looking for probably doesn't exist, but any ideas would be appreciated. I'm happy to drop good money on a boot if I think I can get a couple years out of it. Thanks!
  15. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading all the boot threads since November, I finally ordered the Sidi Canyon Gore Tex boots today. They seem like boots I can use for both bikes and will fit the way I ride. These are my first real motorcycle boots after riding for 15 years in Doc Martens and Merrells.
  16. Valentino

Oddometer:
    Two brands make what you're looking for:

1. Altberg: Ideal for both walking and riding. Meet the highest CE standard for protection. Outstanding quality. Last for years. The only downside is that you'd have to import them from the UK.
    www.altberg.co.uk/category/motorcycle-boots/ :thumb

2. Daytona: Not cheap, but like Altberg they are outstanding quality and last for years. Altberg are probably better and more durable for walking in, but Daytona boots are available in the US without the need to import (e.g. from Helimot).
    www.daytona.de/index.php?page=756 :thumb

Google Altberg and Daytona boots to see just how well reviewed they are.