The Official GL500 Silverwing (CX too) Lovefest.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by UncleDirt, Apr 10, 2012.

1. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    GL650.....Also gone, but not forgotten.....
    [​IMG]

Was a great running bike.....always felt it should have had a 6th. gear. The seat felt like it wanted to slide me forward all the time and it wasn't real friendly in the twisties. But as it's named: "Interstate"...she was right at home.:D
  2. UncleDirt

UncleDirt Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer:
    Wow. That's awful purdy.

I'm up at about 7K when doing about 80mph. Did the extra 150cc really add anything to that?
  3. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    I never rode a CX500 so don't have anything to compare too......can't imagine that the extra 150cc's amounted to much.
  4. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    I've owned 2 CX500Cs and loved them both except for the small gas tank. I put 105,000 miles on one and 56,000 miles on the other. Everything about the bikes just fit my needs. Reliable, low maintenance, mid weight, high ground clearance, water cooled, shaft drive, tubeless tires, and the best sounding engine of any bike IMO. Traded my last one off for a Goldwing and regretted it. The Wing just didn't fit my lifestyle. Been keeping an eye out for another one and saw an 82 GL500 on Craig's List this morning with 750 original miles. Will go buy it if it hasn't been sold already.
  5. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    The GL500 has a 5.28 gal. tank. On the highway, mine is capable of 200 mi. legs :evil
  6. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    I usually got 200-220 off one tank but rarely pushed it past that. I have a standard tank on my CX now and am wondering how that's going to work mileage-wise. Despite having a real nice set of carbs on hand it's going to be a while before I find out: we discovered the wiring behind the headlight is thoroughly borked and botched by a PO (who went so far as to use rubber cement over a connector :huh) so it'll be a while before she's a runner. In the meantime the Dude is pestering me to let him use the new carbs on his Custom.

I told him he can buy his own set. :lol3
  7. UncleDirt

Oddometer:
    Here's mine right now.:cry

[​IMG]

Had the weephole leak, so ordered a new mech seal. Got the mech seal figured out and installed, just have to button her up.

Had to ride the KLR this weekend. Eww.

:lol3
  8. HeavyFuel

HeavyFuel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another former GL500 Silverwing owner here. Bought her in early 2004 as my first "re-entry" bike (I was a dirt bike rider during my teen years in the early 80's). I was curious what the bike would be like without the fairing so I bought an headlight bucket and some old junkyard turn signals and converted to naked style. Loved the v-twin sound of the bike, but I eventually went through a "cruiser phase" and bought an '01 Shadow 750 that I rode for a year before I switched over to a 650 V-Strom. Had to sell the Silverwing after a while to raise some cash for a non-bike related stuff. Now when I look back at the pictures I still have fond memories of my first miles as a street rider on the old 'wing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. GypsyWriter

Oddometer:
    Now that is a nice set up! I'd have kept the rear bags and gone with just naked up front but the final result reminds me of my first bike. Dang I miss that thing...

10. tjoseph

tjoseph Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's your oil filter look like?

I went to this site to check out what oil filters cross fit. I was looking for filters for my Honda GB500.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

It stated that Fram 6007 fit, and that these cross-fit to Purolator ML16807.

I ordered four Purolator ML16807s, and they do not fit. They're open on both ends (the GB500 uses a smaller filter that has an opening on only one end.

So - if these Purolator ML16807s fit your CX, let me know and they're yours.
  11. redbiker

redbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once upon a time I had a 78CX500. I am looking for a used bike and a later model year or size. With so few forums for these bikes, I 'll stick my nose in here. Just a few questions.
    Do the later model years still have alternator problems?
    Why CX vs GL?
    What to stay away from...
    What should I be careful about checking?

I am an experienced rider but looking for more of a day bike with long trip capabilities. I live in Colorado up near the top of the world and really want to get a bike again.

Any advice appreciated. Any referrals to other forums or even bikes for sale appreciated.

RED
  12. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd say later model (1982) to get away from the stator problem.
    I've owned maybe 6 of the 500/650 GL/CXs but would not fool with one again.
    Too many better bikes IMHO.
  13. GypsyWriter

Oddometer:
    The stator issues were only with the CX500 model up through '81; the '82 CX500 and all GL and 650 bikes were TI. A simple fix is to replace the old CDI with an Ignitech that essentially eliminates the extra draw from the stator. Other than the stator and mech seal, these are great bikes that keep going and going and... :thumb
  14. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    When I reached 100,000 miles on my 80 CX500 I pulled it apart to replace the cam chain and stationary guide which was becoming noisy. While I had it apart I pulled the heads and pistons to have a look. Valves were sealing well, no wear in the valve guides, pistons and cylinders were within new specs, even the ring end gap was within new spec. I replaced the cam chain, stationary guide, head gaskets and removed a bit of carbon build up in the head. Sold it for a Goldwing (mistake) shortly after that but I suspect it'll easily make it to 200,000 miles.
  15. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I would love a mid-weight touring machine that costs under a thousand dollars. :)
  16. redbiker

redbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL so would I. I'm waiting to figure out what to do with my non-running bikes. I seem to be drawn to bikes that are, ummm, unusual? I"m not much of a mechanic and my disability pretty much means I don't do much work on my bikes. Sometimes practicality over rules desire.

No decisions yet.
  17. UncleDirt

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Awesome. I took her out for a 600 mile weekend conference in the San Juan Range, and as soon as the meetings were out, off to the bike I'd go. Forest Service road of about 60 miles, some gravel, but mostly rain rutted and dried clay roads. Poked around the Mountains, the town, and took pictures. Great weekend, great bike. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, on the way home, she started to act like she wanted to die at stop signs. Never did, but that was due to my catching it with the throttle.

Then, outside of Pueblo running 85mph on I-25, she lost major power and was clearly running on one cylinder, if that. Got off the highway and shut her off she sounded so bad. I went to start her again when stopped, in order to start diagnosis, but there was NO power to the dash lights, nothing. Completely dead.

Pushed her over to the shade of a tree and for some reason tried the key again. All normal. WTF? Hit the starter and she fired right up and ran beautiful. So I went home, with a stop at the Pueblo Air Museum. No problems.

[​IMG]

Next day, went to a neighboring town for something, and she started acting up again. I pulled over in a wide spot, and shut her down. I thought I'd just cycle the switch and she'd pop back to life again. No dice. No power at all, and she would not come back at all. Okay, seat off, get tools, and start to poke around. Now, I'm on the side of the road and wanting to go home, so I naturally look for the simple things, like a positive battery wire coming loose or something. I absentmindedly flip open a tiny plastic flap on a small box next to the battery, and discover a fusible link.

This link, was just a tiny strip of metal, like a butterfly band-aid, and was rated for 30 amps. And yes, there was a hairline crack in the fuse area. Ahh, the intermittent contact is explained.

So I look, and sure enough, old man Honda had put a spare in the box 30 years ago. :lol3

Boom, all fixy-fixied and all is better now.

How wonderfully simple it is to work on this bike, what little I've needed to.
    Peace.
    [​IMG]
  18. tjoseph

tjoseph Long timer

Oddometer:
    Purolator ML16807. 2.7" outter diameter; .7" inner diameter; 1.8" tall, hole straight through; two o-rings in each box (for filter housing and bolt?). If these fit your CX, and you want them, just PM me an address and they're yours. If they don't fit the CX, I'd appreciate you letting me know. Thanks.

[​IMG]
  19. johns

johns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    .. These pics illustrate clearly that riding a motorcycle is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on
  20. DaveF-

DaveF- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That main fuse is a nuisance - replace it with a blade type automotive fuse and never worry about it again.

Here is a relatively recent photo of my GL.

[​IMG]