my maui adventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by mommer, Sep 2, 2013.

1. bikerchick22

bikerchick22 Riding in paradise

Oddometer:
    Aloha! We've been slacking on the stories so it's time to catch up. 2 or 3 weekends ago I rode with Accidental Broadcast (Kalani), his girlfriend, and another husband & wife couple. Mommer was partying with his linemen buddies :freaky so I have a new place to take him later. We all met at Honolua Bay to unload our stallions.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    We rode through some beautiful single track up to a ridge point which overlooked an amazing valley (which needs more exploring later).
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    I should mention this was the Jackelson's wife's first real trail ride and she did amazing!! Conquered mud, hills, single track ruts, and everything in between.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Of course no adventure with ++Accidental Broadcast is complete without a motovlog of the trip. Here Kalani & Jackelson are having a man moment with their motovlogging haha.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Group photo (courtesy of Kalani...aka ++Accidental Broadcast)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

After a great day of riding with amazing people, it was time to head back to the trucks. We made one last stop on a beach to reminisce about our day. This is Kalani & his woman (nicknamed Cupcake).
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for a great day ++Tribe! We shall ride again soon! :clap
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Here is the motovlog ++Accidental Broadcast made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO1gN2YdtKU&list=UUI1xx9cDnJlEbH0VhMH9RNQ
  2. bikerchick22

Oddometer:
    Last weekend, Mommer and I met ADV inmate Jordan P for the first time. It was time to introduce him to Maui riding! The men rode their street legal bikes and met up with me near Peahi (Jaws) to unload my lil kx100. I am finally good enough to ride and take pictures at the same time so I took the camera for once haha. :ricky

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

It had been at least a month since Mommer was able to do some riding so we were all stoked for a great day of riding. First stop was an overlook of a bay before heading into Jaws.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Onward to Jaws! We quickly found out it had been raining on this side of the island a lot so everything was slippery and muddy. We went down into the first valley passed the pineapple field to show Jordan another cool lookout point.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone took turns sliding through the mud puddle to turn around haha. :wink:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

We would have gone further into this valley but it was so slippery we decided to ride on towards the Jaws overlook spot. Here is Mommer rescuing my bike from a bunch of tree roots. It gave me quite the ass kicking haha. :dhorse
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Once out of the valley we came across this guy...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

If you bring a tiny, 2-wheel drive rental car into Peahi after it has rained, you probably won't make it back out. He had it buried up to the bumpers haha! We told him we could tow him out with our truck after we were done riding...yes he had to wait until we were done riding :webers
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Mommer with our new riding buddy, Jordan, posing for a picture.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

At this point we were debating going into the next valley because of how gnarly it would be getting out with all this slippery mud on the hill climb. We decided to go for it! There were 3 of us so we had enough man power to pull ourselves out if necessary.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

We got down into the valley and noticed our path was cut short. The river bed (which is normally dry) was flowing quite heavily. If I had my taller CRF230 we probably could have made it across; however, I walked out to the deepest point and my lil kx100 would have sunk haha.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

So...we turned around. We had to tackle the rocky, muddy, steep hill we had just slid down to get here. Mommer went first and fought his way to the mellow midpoint of the hill and then waited for us. Jordan charged the hill and almost made it but a rock grabbed him. Mommer helped relocate his tire and then he was good to go.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Now it was my turn! :evil He made me give him the camera so he could document my crash...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Getting a running start...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Up and around the first set of rocks...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Still upright and charging the hill!...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Almost there!...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Success!! :clap Sorry Mommer no crash photos from me today :rofl
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

One last photo from the day.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

We parted ways after this. Jordan had to head back to his family and Mommer and I went back to check on the stuck tourists. They were still there but had a tow truck on the way.

It was a pleasure riding with ADV rider Jordan P! Plenty more rides to come! :beer
  3. jordan p

jordan p projects > time alloted

Oddometer:
    'Twas an awesome experience!! I snapped a few photos I'll add a little later when I can fire up my laptop.

On another note I almost died on the way home....doing 70 across the middle of maui my tube shredded and I got a 10 second death wobble that nearly made me take an asphalt nap haha. Just got a new tube in and ready to ride again!

Thanks again for letting me tag along!! :freaky
  4. jordan p

Oddometer:
    Ps, how come nobody told me how blue my pants were?!
  5. mommer

mommer bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer:
    wow! good job holding it! we went in to pull out the car, and he was gone! ... hey jordan, we are riding around the west side tomorrow, mel will have the 230 st legal but too heavy for her singletrackieness yet. wanna come? highway, and some dirt roads mixed in
  6. jordan p

Oddometer:
    I wish brah! Mother's Day renders me busy all day......even though Friday was my bday and I'm owed a day of riding.
  7. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, what's the story with the newspaper article?

The cops really going to impound every dirt bike riding anywhere other than the raceway park?

NO legal trail riding anywhere on the island...
    Like everyone who rides a dirt bike wants to ride around an mx track.
    Yeah, tell the hikers to go walk around the high school track if they want to walk.

I see some equalizing is in order.

Golfers have a lot of land and very little of it actually gets used, as in no balls rolling along there, so why not share the land? :lol3

Layout some nice trails through the traps, roughs, greens, and so on.

Hikers have a lot of trails, that should be equal opportunity access land.
    Discriminating against us dirt bike riders who can't walk well.
    They are keeping public land for restricted access!

Call the lawyers!

Take the state to court! :deal

Call the Americans With Disabilities legal department and get 'em on the case!!!! :clap

"No trails to ride? Let them eat cake!"

For riding in all those areas marked "NO UNAUTHORIZED MOTOR VEHICLES ALLOWED"...

I am going to make large stickers for my bikes that read:
    "AUTHORIZED MOTOR VEHICLE"

(Those signs don't say WHO authorizes the motorized vehicles so why can't I authorize my own bikes!)

I used to enjoy hiking but after busting up my leg real bad playing in the snow I can't walk more than a mile so my bike is my only way to explore and enjoy nature anymore.
  8. mommer

mommer bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer:

i agree, i didn't see the article, but from what i understand, it was also a prod to the powers that be, to spent their multi use funds on multi use trails!?
  9. jordan p

Oddometer:
    It was a shit load of dirtbike bashing. The lead photo was a guy standing in a rut in the bottom of a small watershed route....they said dirtbikes create ruts up to 8 feet deep in reference to the photo. It clearly was a 6" moto rut inside a 6' watershed rut. Ridiculousness.
  10. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly.

Typical trash news that gets people upset and it is all a lie.

Just try to get a reporter interested in doing a rebuttal follow up story showing the need for legal riding trails.
  11. dharmasister

dharmasister Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what a fantastic thread!

This July I head to Maui for my second time in 12 years? 13? whatever.. too long!! This time I'm a rider and was scoping out bike rentals when I found Maui Dual Sport ... a little more googling and I found this thread!

nice work mommar and bikerchick22! (and wow, BC have your skills progressed since september)

I'm sure how I'll do it yet, but I'm determined to see Maui on two wheels and hopefully getting dirty while I do it. Thanks for the inspiration!!

:freaky
  12. bikerchick22

Oddometer:
    Thank you! :D I'm definitely enjoying every bit of it. Have fun on your Maui adventure! Call up Mike at Maui Moto Adventures if you need to rent a bike (808) 419-8525.
  13. KMasty636

KMasty636 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello! Awesome thread, Hawaii looks like it has some amazing riding!

I am travelling to Hawaii in March. I think I will be renting a bike from Maui moto adventures. Is there any rides you guys can recommend? Unfortunately, the Canadian dollar is too low to do the tours Mike offers.

Also, if anyone would be willing to show me around a little that would be greatly appreciated!
  14. bikerchick22

Oddometer:
    I am so sorry we didn't see your post til now! We would have loved to ride with you. February & March were crazy busy for us (we got married Feb 22!). How was your time in Maui?
  15. jorrie

jorrie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whaoo
  16. bikerchick22

Oddometer:
    Aloha! Sorry we haven't posted in awhile. Big changes have occurred. Long story short, Mommer and I are no longer in Maui. We moved off island to take one of many dream moto trips. We are leaving today for Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Here is the link to our website if you'd like to follow along on our adventure...http://mommer.wix.com/mommerstoalaska. A hui ho! :super
  17. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice have fun and safe adventures. Did Maui finally crack down on all the rebel dirt biking? AB has pretty much shut down too?