Cot Tent.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jiveturkey, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Jiveturkey

Jiveturkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a good tent to take along on some long Hauls. I am particularly interested in a Cot Type tent. I have seen several of them but they fold up like a Lawn chair. Anyone out there found something that will get you off of the ground and away fromt the water and mud that also folds up small enought to pack???

Thanks, Eric
  2. EricFoerster

EricFoerster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  4. Jiveturkey

Jiveturkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eric,

Does that tent actually fold up small enough to tote on a bike?? It looks rather similar to another one I have seen that folds up into a lawn chair.
  5. mgarrett

mgarrett How far to Murphy?

Oddometer:
    I've got a couple of those, not that exact model but the version they were making a couple of years ago. In a dry climate I like them, they set up very quickly, you're off the ground, lots of flaps with no see um screen for ventilation. I've used mine in the Utah mountains and desert, and in Colorado too. Every time I've used them has been in colder weather (below freezing at night) but with the vent flaps all the way around they would probably do fine in warmer weather too.

Unless it rains. Mine came with rain covers and I do think they are waterproof, so much so that they are nearly air proof too! The first night I used mine I put the rain fly on because snow was in the forecast. About half way through the night I woke up feeling like I was suffocating. I don't mean a bit stuffy, I mean like there was no oxygen!

The rain fly, when all closed up really does really does seal up well and I think it would be dry inside. But, if you were to open up some of the flaps on the rain fly to let in enough fresh air that you can breathe comfortably there is no way it would keep the rain out. Maybe the newer models address that problem. But, as I said, in areas with very little rain I'm quite pleased with them.

Mine would be bulky on a motorcycle though. They fold up into a flat square about two and a half to three feet on each side, about four inches thick. I don't know if the newer ones fold up differently.
  6. Deerhntr

Deerhntr nO nOOB

Oddometer:
    I've looked into these myself. They have one in Cabelas that is 32"W X 36"H X 84L and wt. is 39 pounds. It folds up to about 32" X 28" X 8". These tents would be great if they were a little lighter and folded up a little smaller. I've thought of getting one anyway but I think they are just to big for me to haul on a bike.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    I agree, the things you learn about on this site. :lurk If it would fold up small enough, I would get one.
  8. MarathonMan

MarathonMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Jiveturkey

Jiveturkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found this one www.venturacampsystems.com .. But it doesn't come with a cot. If you look on the site the tent actually folds up rather small and weighs very little. Maybe my question should be has anyone found a cot that folds up small enough to haul on a bike?
  10. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
  11. Jiveturkey

Jiveturkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow that thing is COOL. I don't know how handy it would be without something to hang it from but definately an option.
  12. Willi-P

Willi-P Just a man.

Oddometer:
    I too think this is a good question. I've looked, but have not found one. If there's one out there, I'd buy it cause I don't like sleeping on the ground like an animal. I am not an animal!

[​IMG]
  13. Effervescent

Effervescent Sexiest ADVrider '20

Oddometer:
    Imagine parkin' that shit over a shallow stream and sleepin' to the tune of a gently flowing brook? Oh momma!:1drink

-Eff
  14. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Those ledges are sweet, huh? I aid climb but don't do walls big enough to justify buying on of those. I used to live in Iowa, all we had were trees, so I made my own out of PVC and a canvas waterproof tarp. I hung it up in big oak tree and slept away, course I was tied in just in case I decided to sleep walk....or sleep fall-out-and-kill-myself.

Nick
  15. astro

astro seek light

Oddometer:
  16. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    For years, I used to carry a nylon "pocket hammock". You needed to find two objects within the hammock's range to tie to, and drunk, it was a bitch to get into a mummy bag and then get into the hammock.. But it worked fine on those sober, woodsy rides.

Chip
  17. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Talked with Dee at Ventura Camp systems www.venturacampsystems.com
    they seem like very nice people. This seems like a neat way to go. Thats Dee in the tent !!!

Attached Files:

• Dee.jpg
      Dee.jpg
      File size:
      60.4 KB
      Views:
  18. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    I would like to see one of these. I have one of the Slumber Jack Cots that they talk about, it is every bit of 3 ft long, 8 in wide, and must wieght 10 + lbs. Add the weight of the Tent and you are over 15 lbs + plus sleeping bag. The way I read it, the cot comes sepreatly. O well, I would still like to see one.
  19. OR Trail

OR Trail looks for unlocked gates Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just spent my first night in this:

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/sp-ultralight.htm

It was under $100 with REI coupon. Very light - just fits in a saddle bag - and very comfortable. I helps to have trees around. I think my old tent just made it to car camping only duty. For backpacking, riding and kayaking I can't see bringing the extra weight and space.
  20. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    We used those 25 years ago in SF. I have actually strung it in swamps over water and slept in it. Ours had a tent type roof and mesquto netting. I found the hammock part just the other day in some old boxs. To bad their aren't many trees where I rides most of the time.:lol3

" The Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail are the testing grounds for the newest ultralight camping equipment in the United States " from their add.

I guess this does away with the newest claim:rofl :rofl :rofl