Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    When I lived in Colorado, it seemed to always be uphill and into the wind both ways.:huh

I got used to it. Learned to spin to save my knees. And got strong.

Now? I'm a fat bastard who still rides uphill both ways into the damn wind.:lol3

At least I'm the guy "breaking wind"...:rofl
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    oh yes-uphill into the wind both ways. Nothing like staggering out of the bar at 4 am with an hour of uphill to get home:razor
  3. Superhawk

Superhawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My single speed - IRO - geared 32x18, manitou minute 2.00 fork, XT crankset and avid discs. I have a full suspension Klein and a geared hardtail but once I started riding single speed I havent touched any other bike. My legs were never so strong riding a geared bike ! I'm thinking about building a 29" SS next :D

[​IMG]
  4. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3

The cyclist's version of...

These stairs go on forever...

And the handrail is killing my back...

[​IMG]
  5. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Remember to refactor your gearing!
  6. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    OK folks, nice weather here this weekend so I need to get my bike on the road and so I need to know, 2 broke spokes = no chance to true a wheel so I need a new one or the guy at REI was a moron :ear
  7. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Yeah, new spokes. Simple.

2 broken spokes in the 32 hole world = weak wheel.

One of the things I miss from the good old days are real pro-bike shops. Places that could thread a spoke to length for you, and usually just fixed the wheel instead of giving you the spokes because they were fast, and didn't trust you to mess with a wheel. :lol3

Nothing like a grumpy old racer working on your bike. Bitching about you hitting potholes instead of riding around them. Swearing at you in a thick Dutch accent...:lol3

Later, once he figures out you rode 40 miles to his shop on your way to a 120 mile workout, just to slobber over the campy SR toys behind the glass, he brings out the wooden rims he used to race on cobbled roads of Europe. Then the stories come, and an afternoon and way too much espresso passes your lips. A shop, where the smell of old metal, oil and grese mix with the creaks and groans of the aged hardwood floor. Most of the light is provided by skylights, filtered through dusty old racing bikes hung in the wooden truss rafters.
    I have not found REI to be too full of old school know-how.
  8. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    It ain't rocket science. You need 2 new spokes and a truing unless your not telling us the rim is the shape of a taco shell.

Any real bike shop (not REI Boston/Framingham) can do that for you. I think at my shop it would ring up about $25.
  9. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    I figured the guy was a moron.

I have been riding the bike on rollers all winter with it the shape it is, and with the 2 spokes missing :D I just don't fancy hitting the road in the shape it's currently in.

Thanks...time to go to the LBS.
  10. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    This is my first dealings with them regarding doing any work on a bike. It is also my last.
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Best wheel builder I've known worked with me at a PBS. :confused MAN! Was that dood a wonder with a spoke wrench! Start to finish in appx 30-40 min with a perfectly true and round wheel at the end.

I've been trying to get like that since I met him.

Oh, and he was an artiste ON the bike too. Watched him clear some 3'+ tall logs without a thought.

Basically what I'm sayin is that the old LBSes aren't always the place to find good mechanics. Chain stores DO usually have their fair share of maroons tho. :nod

M
  12. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but there's probably a big difference between a bike-specific chain like Performance and an all-purpose outdoors store that also sells bikes like REI. I've never had any bad experiences with the bike folks at REI, but that may be because I go there for camping and climbing gear, and elsewhere for bike stuff.

Mercury: I can't remember if I've mentioned it before, but I've had good experiences with WheelWorks on Trapelo Rd. in Belmont, and it should be pretty easy to get to for someone coming from outside 128. There are lots of other bike shops in the area with good reputations too, but WW is the one that I have the most personal experience with.

(And I hope you're right about the good weather this weekend. Other than a couple hours toodling around the carriage roads in Acadia NP in Maine last weekend, I haven't gotten in a ride in the last 2 weeks, and it's really starting to affect my mood.)
  13. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Two werds: trail run.

Easier to get ready than riding, you can usually find some trails out the back door, AND you get tired a LOT faster than riding... A good workout may take an hour start to finish. :evil

...or just ride a trainer. :puke1 (I have 2 that are gathering dust in the garage.)

But I know whatcha mean about the mood. That seratonin boost every time ya exercise is a good thing m'kay.

M
  14. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Llandry's is the closest LBS to me - it's just in a PIA place (if you know where it is, you know what I mean) so I was going to take it there.
  15. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm getting there. During the long weekend we just spent in Acadia, we did only a little biking, but lots of fast-paced hiking. It was fun, especially the really steep rocky stuff; At times it felt almost like this weird amalgam of running, mountain biking and rock climbing.

Unfortunately, no trails right out my back door. The closest place that'd be good for trail running is also the closest place for mountain biking. And the easiest way for me to get there is on a bicycle... Still, after the fun I had on foot this past weekend, I plan to get over there and check out some of the rockier trails (which are closed to bikes) on foot.
  16. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I can assure you that there's more trails around yer house than you think. Ask a hasher if yer not convinced. :nod Drainage ditches, alleys, etc. all qualify. :nod Oh, and make for some fan-farging-tastic runs. :nod

M
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes the single speed has made my legs stronger and I'm definitely all about picking the best line I can get my wheels to follow but lately I've been missing at least a few more gears on the really technical stuff that I just can't keep the pedals turning for.

Sooooo....this just showed up at the shop with my name all over it, I only ordered it in December! I need to order more parts for the build so I won't get to ride it for about a month:2cry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    :tb

M
  19. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    when you cut the wrong cable.

I needed to replace the front derailleur cable because it frayed and went to cut it as it wouldn't pass through a guide... and clipped the rear cable instead. I'm sure I'll see the humor in it tomorrow.

:twitch

:baldy
  20. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    Anyone one here have any experience with Crank Brothers clipless pedals? I recently got some Candy SL's and was wondering how much free play (side to side) you have when clipped in. I just want to make sure I'm all good. The manual says you have 6 degrees of side to side and can release at 15 and 20 degrees depending on cleat placement. I have them set at 15 right now but might switch to 20.