Northeastern Minnesota

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by arrowhead rider, Apr 25, 2011.

1. arrowhead rider

arrowhead rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In all seriousness Mike's wife doesn't need a bike at all. She is an ultramarathoner! She can run as far as most can ride! But if she did want a good grand marais starter bike I agree with a previous response that the tw200 would be a great choice. Fairly low seat height and weight,great gas mileage,iconic look and If she decided later to get something bigger they would both have a very fun second bike. The only problem with it is they are hard to find used and I know Mike would never buy something new or somewhat new!
  2. MikeS

MikeS You betcha! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
  3. Snomore

Snomore Northwoods Rider

Oddometer:
    Mike, that looks like a great area to explore and it's close by making it a perfect weekend trip. It also brings up something I was going to ask the forum, but never remember to until now. Can you dualsport the OHV trails, or do you need a DNR sticker of some sort? There's OHV trail improvements going on near my house in Two Harbors, and I do ride the trail from time to time. I just wonder though if there's an additional license or trailpass of some sort.
  4. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    If you are taking stragglers, I'd love to make a weekend ride/camp out of this too. I've been wanting to explore the Lake of the Woods and ride up to the Northwest Angle as well.

5. older-not-wiser

older-not-wiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are required to have a DNR sticker for off road use on the trails, its $36 for 3 years
  6. MikeS

Oddometer:
    The Northwest Angle is interesting to go to, especially since it's part of the US, and isolated by Lake of the Woods and Canada. I rode north out of there through Ontario one time, which is gravel that's good for a street bike, then returned east through Ontario on the Trans Canada. It's another nice weekend loop. I never explored much of the back roads at the Angle itself. I don't think there are a lot of roads, although everything in the settlement there is dirt. The most northern Continental US post office is there, along with a log builder (now passed away) who influenced my skill set. The northern most road in the Continental US is obviously there too.

My original comment here about the Beltrami State Forest came from email correspondence with another rider I know. I used to live north of Williams on Lake of the Woods, and worked in the Beltrami Forest as a timber cruiser for the DNR. I rode a 550/4 Honda to work quite a bit in summer, past Faunce (nothing in that town any more). I bumped in to some of the cemeteries and homesteads while cruising timber. I want to spend a weekend focused on looking for old homesteads and grave sites. A significant effort was made to settle that swamp and sand island area in the 40's, but a failed attempt. There are quite a few woods roads, although getting an ATV permit might open up some more trails. Many trails there are winter access only, because of the extensive lowland. We used ATV's in summer, but some of the stuff we rode through would be too swampy for a dualsport.
  7. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    Is it summer yet? I Think most weekends this summer will be filled with riding opportunities. I too would like to join you guys on the Lake of the Woods ride. Some other ideas that would be fun are the old homesteads in Toimi, The pontoon ride across Gunflint Lake into Ontario with the bikes,the UP,the rest of Ontario,....I already got permission from my boss for one month off this summer for two long trips. i might have to go back and ask for the whole summer!
  8. bikergirl4ever

bikergirl4ever girlie girl

Oddometer:

I bought an XT225, so far I really like it, we have lowered it a few inches. I ride it in the Paul Bunyan usually. I added a stearns 4 wheeler seat pad (Walmart) to make it a little more comfortable and bought some 4 wheeler tank bags (Mills and Gander Mountain) and strapped them under the seat and over the tank so I now have plenty of luggage space if needed.(Thank you everyone at the Brainerd ride for the ideas). Good luck and have fun with whatever you buy.
  9. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    That too looks like a good bike to start on. the new version is the xt250 with a seat height of 31.9 so dropping it even an inch or so should be adequate for most people.- maybe you and mr. biker will come to the north shore shindig this summer? Toadl could be your tour guide getting up here.
  10. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:

Take a look at the route I took to get to the Brainerd lakes ride last year... Better than that ordinary paved stuff...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...ll=46.987747,-92.817993&spn=1.536354,5.839233

This was my original route but I altered course do to time and fatigue from the night before.. Instead of going to meadowlands and staying north, I took the dirt from Floodwood to Brookston over towards the Northside of Fish lk and then on towards Two Harbors..
  11. bikergirl4ever

bikergirl4ever girlie girl

Oddometer:

I like my seat height about 29". I think that is about what my XT225 is now that we lowered it..(Im not real tall). We are planning on coming to the north shore shindig this summer, but we will have to see for sure when the time gets close

On a really great note...... Our son and fiance made it home(SD) from deployment today and our daughter came home (NM) from Iraq in Nov. We are very proud parents.
  12. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap Happy for you. Good to be home.
  13. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good news. I don't think I'd be a good guid from your neck of the woods. But I like C-zulu's idea.
  14. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    That is happy news. Thanks to all of them for their service. :clap
  15. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    Snomore and I are heading to the international motorcycle show in minneapolis on saturday. There is room for more if anyone is interested.-Mike S-I know, skiing is more important!
  16. surlyswami

surlyswami illicit discharge

Oddometer:
    Going Friday night myself keep an eye out will be at Brits for fish, chips, and beers. I'll be the one with the Flo progressive insurance shoping bag
    :lol3
  17. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    I wish I could make it but I'll be working in San Fran over the weekend. Take pictures and post'em.

18. MikeS

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I was going to say. Make sure they include some motorcycles and are more than just the babes in the pictures!
  19. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    Geezee Mike, speak for yourself.:wink:
  20. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    I promise no partly clothed pictures of tommymerle on a motorcycle!:eek1