the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, there could be many reasons why a clutch would need replacing before 15k miles on a DR, but the most likely reason is stated above...the po just plain wore it out through his riding style.
    I'm always suspicious of replaced parts like clutches on lower mileage machinery.....makes me wonder what other hidden wear and tear the machine went through to prematurely wear out the clutch.
  2. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    My exact concern. I thought 15K was a bit early for a new clutch. As I am in no rush I am going to pass on it. Even if it is a good price. A nicer one will show up before it gets warm enough for me to ride here.
  3. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    if it otherwise looks decent, you could always offer $1500, and then walk away if the seller says no...

doug s.
  4. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I have always cut strips of HD innertubes and squeezed them between the frame and skidplate on all my bikes. I think that much of what people are hearing is the plate vibrating harmonically. This may not be enough for some of you. The DR650 is the quietest bike I have ever owned, I've never had a streetbike so I can't compare what others perceive as noisey.:1drink

You definitely want closed cell foam,(like GSF suggests) especially offraod. The bufferpad will soon be adobe. Think about using a "pool noodle" or foam pipe insulation instead.
  5. WindPipe

WindPipe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size socket do I need for that primary nut. My searches have come up empty ...
  6. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    That's what I did as well. Seems to work fine for me- of course, I wear earplugs when I ride. :wink:

...........shu
  7. jessepitt

jessepitt Ride More

Oddometer:
    I also use inner tubes to dampen vibration but like any other sane or intelligent person I wear earplugs, so the noise doesn't really bother me.
  8. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    I bought a piece of compressible foam designed for the purpose but frankly since I always where earplugs I don't notice much difference. I wonder if several coats of Plasti-Dip might work. It is pretty tough, you can cover your whole car with it (might be good for DR side panels!).

9. SkunkWizard

SkunkWizard Long timer

Oddometer:

Job done well! be proud show it off
    looks very Latrodectus hesperus
  10. LucasLeader

LucasLeader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is your chain a little loose?
  11. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for not replying sooner and thanks for the PM to remind me.

The area the needle is responsible for is 1/4 opening. The needle should not be used to tune closed throttle even though there may very well be enough overlap to affect it. To illustrate the problem: Let's say that you had tuned the clip position to achieve perfect running at 1/4 opening, and you now raised the needle to richen the mixture at closed throttle. The result will be that the mixture at 1/4 opening will now be too rich, while the effect on closed throttle may or may not be as desired. Closed throttle is solely the responsibility of the fuel screw unless the pilot jet size is out of range. You can test this by evaluating 1/16 to 1/8 opening running and/or by whether or not the engine can be killed at both extremes of the fuel screw's adjustment range. Of these two, the former is absolute (misadjusted float height, clogged/incorrect pilot air bleed size or worn parts notwithstanding) while the latter should only be used to give you hints.

Regards,

Derek
  12. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am waiting for new tires before I adjust the chain...
  13. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    A very good point ... and valid reason for concern. When buying ... and I've bought over 50 bikes ... a good idea to have close look at the seller. How is his garage kept? Does he keep maintenance logs? Lots can be learned from his answers regards maintenance or "fixes" he has done on the bike.

All that said ... as I said before ... the DR is a pretty tough customer and can handle abuse well. Still ... a hard used bike would never be my first choice. Good luck! Good shopping. :clap
  14. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    :nod Black Widow Spider. (Had to look it up.)

...........shu
  15. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    I also used HD innertube stripes on all places where frame contacts skid plate. Not sure how much it helped but seems OK. Spraying with some sound deadening stuff can't hurt. More the quieter.
  16. gjcarving

gjcarving Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did mine a few months ago. I believe it is a 30mm. Had to go to an auto parts store to get one. Pep boys! Hope yours is not as loose as mine was. Mine ate a bunch of the clutch basket apart on the back. Enough that I decided to replace it. Good luck!
  17. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    In addition to the bedliner spray, I also have the HD tube strips between the frame and skid plate. I didn't notice much, if any difference. My KLR 250 with the same treatment on the skid plate is way worse for reflecting noise, my DR 650 is quiet by comparison! Can't hear either with my earplugs in. Good point about the closed cell foam, I didn't think about the buffer pad-type material filling up with dirt and turning into a brick.

Gear Nazi rant on: If you are not wearing ear plugs when you ride, you need to, every time! As someone with hearing loss and that has to wear hearing aids, I can tell you from experience to do everything you can to protect your hearing. It is not the noise of the bike that will damage your hearing unless you are running straight pipes, it is the constant wind noise! You can have the quietest exhaust ever and still lose your hearing in pretty short order! Plus it helps tremendously with fatigue. Ear plugs every time! Gear Nazi rant off!

:beer
    Tim
  18. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    As a sound recording pro ... I agree. I've done many many similar rants on ADV ... most riders just ignore ... if falls on "deaf ears" :rofl.

Everybody has an excuse, like, "... plugs are too uncomfortable", " ... they don't fit my ear canals". "... too expensive". " ... too much trouble to put in and out". Yada Yada. Got an issue? Get a tissue! :D

As you say, hearing loss is no joke. And yes ... it's the low freq buffeting from wind noise that does damage to the tiny Scilia around the ear drum. First you loose ability to hear high frequencies ... makes understanding speech in a noisy place hard. Goes downhill from there.

So easy to protect your hearing. At least wear them on long rides ... and learn how to insert them properly .... many riders do it wrong. :huh

RANT OFF! :lol3:freaky
  19. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    As a fairly young guy who actually has noticed a little bit of hearing damage since I started riding a few years ago, I definitely second this. I ride with tight fitting ear buds in when I'm on long trips or commuting, though I'm sure they're not helping as much as real plugs would. Do you ride with any kind of music/sound system in your helmet? If I didn't have music and podcasts, I'm not sure I'd ever use my bike to commute.
  20. Mongle

Mongle Cyberdos groupie

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever try that Dynamat ( I think that is what it is called) the car stereo guys use in trunks? Might be a good alternative.

I noticed my DR650 when I first put the skid plate on. Now, it is just the music it makes.:lol3 Now if I don't hear stuff I get worried.

The dyno room has ruined my hearing. If we are out anywhere that has "noisy" dining area I can't hear anyone say shit. I just nod and smile. I have gotten where I wear ear plugs on long trips or if I ride the highway. Makes the ride more enjoyable.