First attempt to carry a bicycle

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Cat0020, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Here is my first attempt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may scrap this method, puts too much weight on one side of the scooter.

Let me know what do you think.
  2. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    I think it looks really sano. Great job! Insofar as the weight distribution, could you devise a way to counter-balance the weight on the other side?
  3. Buzzn

Buzzn n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you think you could rig up something for my golf clubs?
  4. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
  5. Techfiend

Techfiend High Priest of Duh

Oddometer:
    Obviously the solution is a beer carrier on the other side.

GO GO GO :lol3
  6. TebKLR

TebKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you carry the bicycle's front wheel/tire?
  7. illusivedreams

illusivedreams Crossfiremotorcycles

Oddometer:
    Put another bike carrier on the other side:norton
  8. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Front wheel could be easily carried with a wheel fork on the other side of the scooter. The main difficulty to is to secure the main bulk of a bicycle.

I think I will scrap this attempt, too much weight off to one side of the scooter, make my next attempt more like this:

[​IMG]

weight of the bicycle is at the center of the scoot, just like carrying a passenger.
  9. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Cat0020, you got that idea from . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. . . didn't YOU? BTY, he's got the bicycle mounted rear forward -- avoiding weight being too far rearward.

I wouldn't worry about the slight asymmetrical aspect to the load placement, its less than when I carry groceries in one pannier on my Shadow . . . there are even riders who carry a carton of 24 small beers on just one side!

[​IMG]

Look at this guy's load! Think he balanced the bags on each handlebar to an exact measure?
  10. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I would like to see the side view of the first picture.. see how much forther the bike needs to be placed forward in reference of the scooter, I know my bicycle gets in the way of me controlling the scooter when I mount the bicycle rear end towards the front of the scooter.

The majority of the load carried is in rear center of the second picture, not to the side. I don't worry about little weight differences between one side vs the other on the scooter, but I don't feel my first attempt is secure enough for my bicycle.. since it cost more than twice the scooter, wouldn't want it to clip something and fall off the scooter.
  11. vortexau

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    It can be seen that he has the bicycle rear wheel adjacent to his right knee (when he's aboard) and close enough that he can only use his left foot to hold scooter when stationary.

The leading edge of rack-channel is low so that his RH handgrip & brake lever just clears bicycle tyre in straightahead position.

. . . . . .

My thoughts - to use a central mount, would be to position bicycle axle mount (on carrier) up high to sit behind head. Expensive bicycles are extra light so a vertical mounting with bicycle wheels BEHIND scooter would not lead to excessive rearward load weight.

All my bicycles were ordinary $99-$199 heavy types. I last carried a Stowaway (folding bicycle) folded up in its carton flat on top of rear luggage carrier & pillion seat on a VT500E (see below) home from the shop. That was in the '80s.

[​IMG]
    The Gearsack rack was a square tube carrier mounted behind the pillion grip.
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are those side rack?
  13. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about making a trailerish carrier.

Single wheel trailer would tow right behind, and have very little drag whatso ever on the bike, and would be balanced.

Needn't be very long as you've already explored your angles.
  14. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I've thought about that, but considering the racing tires I run on the bicyce is (at least) $40 a pop (scooter tire is $30), and the rear wheel of a racing bicycle don't hold up quite well when you go over bumps at 40-50 mph, even without a rider on the bicycle.. I think I could think up a better way to carry a 20 lb. bicycle on the scooter than my first attempt.
  15. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not suggesting you drag the bike with the wheel on the ground, rather you take that bike rack and mount it to a frame with a wheel in the rear, this wheel would have a simple suspension for it, and could be a cheap narrow scooter tire of the type that doesn't cost 30/ year, heck find a common one and ebay a new wheel off a used one when it wears out if you want.

This would then just drag behind your moped.

How often do you need to carry your bike on the moped?
  16. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    wtf is the point..both share the same mission...this is like a Prius towing an Aveo on a roadtrip.
  17. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    The point is that I don't have to drive a car to a bicycle ride, most likely I would still get over 70 mpg carrying a bicycle on my scooter and don't get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

It'd be nice if I could afford a Prius, but the fact is, they still get 0 mpg stuck in traffic sometimes.

I usualy hed out for group bicycle rides 2-4 times during the week and at lest once on the weekend, Average 15-25 miles away, i used to ride my bicycle to the group ride, but that means that I have to carry my change of clothes, food and work items along with me on the bicycle ride or stash them in someone else's car.

I still think suspending the whole bicycle from road shock would be more ideal, but i will put more thought into it.
  18. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Do like we do on base for those that ride to work..stash your change of clothes and cleanup items at work..might be an option, otherwise I see your point.
  19. vortexau

Oddometer:
  20. blackjenner

blackjenner Just a rider.

Oddometer:
    I would not worry about it. Seriously. The bicycle and mount might weigh 35 lbs, right? I have very often had one saddlebag on my Bandit loaded much heavier than the other. Bicycles, motorcycles and scooters seek a natural balance most of the time. This weight should not even be an issue.

Really.