New KTM Duke owner in Seattle, looking for more LC4 owners

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Zwoehr, May 16, 2011.

1. Zwoehr

Zwoehr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I just bought a 2001 KTM Duke II and am looking for some kind of KTM mentor. So far the bike seems to have been well maintained. The PO did maintenance and valve adjustments himself and took notes. It seems to make a lot of mechanical noise I'm wondering if this is normal or if I need to look into it further. The bike is pretty dirty and needs a new chain in fact I think I'll go wash it now.
    Seeya
  2. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forums.

The LC4 motor is known to be a bit noisier than a lot of other motors, so it may not be anything to worry about. Of course, without hearing your bike no one can say for sure.

Everything you could ever want to know about the LC4 is in this link:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958
    A lot of it is geared towards the 640 Adventure, but much of it will still apply to the Duke.
  3. Zwoehr

Zwoehr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. I actually took the bike to Motoplex (KTM dealer in Lynwood) and asked one of the mechanics if the bike was making an unusual amount of noise. He said "Sounds like a Duke" So I think I can stop worrying about it. I adjusted the valves (only the intakes were tight) and it sounded the same before as it did after there is some clutch rattle. Anyway.... Off to the singles forum to search!
  4. redbastard

redbastard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put about 10,000 miles on my Duke II before the small fuel tank, engine vibes and no wind protection pushed me on to differant bikes. Parts are expencive, two oil filters and KTM recomends valve inspections ever 3 or 4000 miles. Still, what a bike ! I loved that thing. 50mpg , great suspention, and buckets of tourque.
    Let me know if you have any questions.