My Wife's R1200R is prettier than my GSA

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Boulder Ed, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    After a serious list of farkles, this bike is pretty dang nice.

The goodies:

Rick Mayer seat
    One of a kind cut down ZTechnik windshield (look mom, no more helmet buffeting)
    Carbon fiber front fender (Bestom) and rear hugger (Ilmberger)
    Leo Vince full titanium pipe (5.8 pound reduction). I hate PC. It's too quiet!!!!
    Rizoma mirrors (totally effective, improved clarity)
    Wunderlich Vario levers, and center stand lift gizmo
    Kaoko throttle Lock
    Micro flooter driving Lights sold by Wunderlich
    Integrated rear brake light flasher unit
    Hyper lights for even more flashing action
    Tank and side plastic protector
    Raised tank bag mount for scratchless little tank bag (tank bags suck IMHO)

Recent additions (pic forthcoming, hopefully with changing aspens in the background)
    Touratech hand protectors
    Machineart cylinder head protectors, already tested (and passed with flying colors) on the way to Alaska this summer in a wind driven zero speed tipover (crash bars are shown for sale if anyone needs em)
    BMW OEM tail rack
    Touratech potentiometer protector
    BMW GS adventure skid plate added 2 B cool. Nice fit and perfect size for the bike

It's prettier than my GSA, way way faster, lighter and does just about everything one would want. The only drawback is a bit smaller frame (best suited for people less than 6', and it gives up some off road worthyness for substantially better street manners than a GS. Ground clearance is less and no skid plate initially, and has a taller first and 6th gear. Still close to perfect for 95% of the adventures most of us will take. To me used R1150R and R1200R's are the current bargain priced BMWs.

Attached Files:

2. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Red one is on my short list this year - IMHO the best bike BMW makes
  3. mac62

mac62 One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer:
    Superb motorcycle, way under rated.
  4. Graemsay

Graemsay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My R has the tall seat, and it's got enough space on it for me. (6'3", long legs.)

I suspect that the majority of GS owners would be better off with one, but it doesn't have that Just Back from Mongolia look. It's probably the most underrated bike in BMW's range, and I can't think of much I'd trade it for.

Gratuitous photo attached. :D

Attached Files:

5. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:
    Mmmm.......yup. :thumb
  6. kidtwist

kidtwist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best looking bike BMW makes in my opinion. They don't sell many, at least in the US. Too bad. Mine has few modifications: a Rick Mayer seat, sport screen, and a mud guard thing. I really want to get side cases, but I want good looking top-loaders and can't find any that look satisfactory. This picture was taken before any mods.

[​IMG]
  7. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    I'd love one for the on-road riding. Although i have seen at least one inmate here take them quite far off road:evil
  8. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Great comments/photos guys! Note the blued header with the Akra pipe. I really wanted the Akra, but given its my wife's bike she chose the Leo. I cannot imagine it leaning the bike out enough to blue the header , as it seems pretty tame for an aftermarket can. BTW, the 1150s all turn blue where even with stock exhaust but this is the first 1200 I've seen blued. Its a 2010or 2011 perhaps?

You guys are right about the GS guys actually wanting R's. I've met a bunch including one of my buddies with 91,000 on his 2005 GS. R's really do quite well on the gravel roads and are lower, hence providing a bit more confidence than something like my 2 story tall GSA. Plus that steering damper is actually a functional device and helpful when the bike is down by sea level. The thing can easily lighten the front wheel in 2nd coming out of turns if you jump on it. Wish my GSA could do that!!!
  9. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    I love mine

[​IMG]

I've bought and sold at least six bikes since I brought this one home in '07 and it very well may be my forever bike. It just works for me, and I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam
  10. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    It is definitely under rated and often overlooked, a fine motorcycle and hers is nicely set-up.
  11. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    damn nice bike, love my R1150R, I hear the 1200 is even better. And its only fitting her bike is prettier than yours as I am sure your wife is a lot prettier than you :lol3
  12. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    And its only fitting her bike is prettier than yours as I am sure your wife is a lot prettier than you :lol3[/QUOTE]

I cannot argue the above point... But dang, all her bikes have been prettier than mine. Even her last one, this R1150R . Does not seem fair but I'm too cheap to buy all that stuff for mine. Now to find a cool skidplate for the R1200R, to add that little Mongolia touch and campground protection.

Attached Files:

13. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    They work well as a pack mule too,

[​IMG]
  14. carockwell

carockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of engine protection crash bars is the OP using?
  15. FBB

FBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The blued pipes thing seems to be the norm as my wifes 2011 has it as well after only 700 miles.

She just bought it 2 months ago during the end of year closeout and it is winter here thus the low mileage.

For those that have added an aftermarket can was there any issues with fuel delivery?

I am assuming the BMW system could handle it ok?

It seems to be a fantastic bike and for the first time in a few years actually has me thinking about getting a different bike for myself. I have an FJR that I love, but there is something to be said about the lack of tupperware on the R1200R.

For those that run gravel roads, any issues with the low mounted oil cooler? I added a Fenda Extenda to hers and that seems to work.

I really like that Red color they have.
  16. BigEasy

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the GS skid plate bolts right up
  17. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which seat is that you have there?
  18. BigEasy

Oddometer:
    Rich's Custom.

He offered a group buy discount in the vendors section a couple of years ago and I immediately pulled the trigger. Mine was only the 2nd R12R he had done and we did the build without a ride in and in my butts opinion it worked out great. Here's a video a guy did when Rich built his, the first one he built http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReMQF3XWhvQ

I know he's done a third for a guy on the r1150r.org board since mine. My only regret is I cheaped out and didn't install the heated option.
  19. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - Nice Bike

:freaky
  20. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer: