German members sign in here

Discussion in 'Europe' started by bavarian, Apr 2, 2008.

1. NellieDriver

NellieDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hallo Horton,

you are right! The old Black Forest changed since the hurricane "Lothar" a lot. There are no trees or bushes, no green gras for our happy cows and all of the lovely things you imagine when you think about this region. The photo I posted is the proof of it.

Let yourself be surprised at your next visit.

Your Nelliedriver

NB: don't worry: the pic I showed is in the french alpes near the Tunnel de Parpaillon last year
  2. NellieDriver

NellieDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hallo Michael,

I'm from Neuried between Kehl and Lahr, about 35 km from Oberkirch.
    Unfortunately I have presently a problem with the ADV-forum. Maybe you or another reader have more notion than I about that. If you will look here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17756268#post17756268

Good-bye your Nelliedriver
    :evil
  3. A-Wind

A-Wind Andreas RD07a

Oddometer:
    Watch out with that. It is ONLY valid temporary. Maybe there are some exceptions to service members or other US-Government Employees, but if you are moving over to Germany as a private person, you sure can't use it for years.

In contrast: According to my original link, you'll be able to get a truly German Drivers License, that will be yours forever (they NEVER expire, provided you get it before Jan 2013, as after this date such "Forever Licenses" will no longer be issued according to new regulations)

Disclaimer: Yes, in the conversion process you will have to surrender your US License to the Germans. Consequently once you are moving back to the US, you would have to simply make your US license again, or otherwise if you prefer, you can convert the German License back to US and loose the German License it in the process.
  4. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The German driving license itself has no expiration date and won't have (according to actual and already known future law). But the old license card (document only) must be exchanged with the new license card at least 2033. The new license card is valid 15 years. If you once had a German driving license and it wasn't revoked (DUI etc.), you can easily get a new document giving off the old one.
  5. MikJogg

MikJogg Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi ND

I know Neuried,years ago my bike was from "Motorrad Rubin" near Lahr. So it´s on my way to Allmansweier.
    Just give you an answer to your other post.

Gruß aus dem kalten Oberkirch

MJ
  6. A-Wind

A-Wind Andreas RD07a

Oddometer:
    Indeed the new license (Credit Card Format, Plastic License) will be of limited type ONLY if you obtain it (by any means) after Jan 2013. If you get it before that, it won't have any expiration date.

Licenses that are (for any reason) issued after Jan 2013 WILL have an expiration date.

Yes there is a law!
  7. ringdichtung

ringdichtung n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello from sunny Frankfurt! :D

I've recently moved here from the UK and find myself more or less broke and bikeless; my beloved Transalp was stolen just before I left England. Spring is coming though and in the next couple of months I'm looking to buy a second hand bike, spend a couple of months hitting it with a spanner and explore your fine country a bit.

Any recommendations beyond 'mobile.de and hope for the best' gratefully accepted.
  8. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but wrong.
    True. There is a law, it states
  9. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:

thanks guys, I may just get a new one when I go home to visit - I think I screwed up not getting a new one a few years back anyway: not sure if I still get the trailer and/or 7.5 ton endorsement like my old dl had.
  10. A-Wind

A-Wind Andreas RD07a

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but you are right.

I looked into converting my license just a few month ago and at that time there was no word of anything of what you wrote.

Indeed I was assured (I guess quite wrongly) by the "Führerscheinstelle" exactly the opposite (what I previously shared here).

Danke für die Klarstellung (schlechte Nachricht). Zugleich frage ich mich, ob sich das so einfach und ohne Widerstand der Kraftfahrer und ADAC durchsetzen lässt. Immerhin haben wir für unseren "Lappen" gutes Geld bezahlt.

Oder geht etwa der Umtausch in 2033 ganz ohne Prüfung und ärztliche Atteste und ist somit nur eine reine Verwaltungsangelegenheit?
  11. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Andreas. I already have an "m" endorcement on my US license and Virginia appears to have an agreement so I can convert the license with out taking a test (I think). Although I hear the conversion fee is like 2000 EUR. Ouch.

I am looking into shipping my F800GS over. (return to its birthplace??). I am wondering if there are any conversions needed?
  12. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will most likely be coming over on an Ex-pat assignment for 3 years. Not SOFA eligible although I will be solely working with the US military. So I will need to be anywhere between Wiesbaden and Stuttgart since I will need access to all of the bases. I am NOT a Harley fan but I am wondering if I can make a little cash by buying one here and shipping it over as part of house hold goods move?? Hmmm???
  13. Cuttle

Oddometer:
    to get it registered n Germany will be a pia...anything that's not stock on the german version needs to be "eingetragen", which means you need a paper to proof that it's safe to use. so, an aftermarket exhaust, seat or handlebars can already give you trouble.
  14. A-Wind

A-Wind Andreas RD07a

Oddometer:
    It is rather around 35 Euro plus there is some additional minor fee. The whole thing will come to around 50 Euro.

2000 Euro is rather a price for a license if you make it from scrath.

Have one biometric picture with you of German/European standard. US Biometric standard seems to be different.

Also have proof with you (about the obvious), that shows that you lived in the US for more than 185 days (usual utility bills, phone etc, perhaps even a letter of your former employer about the length of your employment)

You also need a German Translation of your US License, which should be prepared by a Certified German Translator IN Germany.
  15. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "aftermarket" gear on the bike:

Touratech 20mm bar risers
    Touratech Bash plate
    Hepco-Becker Carsh bars
    Touratech luggage rack
    BMW OEM hand guards
    TKC 80 tires
  16. Cuttle

Oddometer:

somebody from Germany would have to chime in here - I am gone to long already. I assume the Touratech stuff is fine (still I think it needs to be "eingetragen" im Fahrzeugbrief). An
  17. philofax

philofax lifetime noob on wheels

Oddometer:
    no neeed to "sign" it to the paperworks for 99% of the touratech stuff.
    they got either "ABE" (piece of paper to carry with your documents) or
    are fine without anything.

my old grey mule is full of touratechs blingbling and i never took the paperworks
    with me.

example:
    luggage rack, panniers, etc. > no ABE or papers
    and handlebar raisers > small sticker on them with ABE no.
    oehlins suspension > have to be in title/paperwork
    metal headlight protection case > not allowed to use but no one cares

the license thingie earlier: every german driving license is valid forever if not
    taken away because of DUI or similar. BUT since the 2006 regulations are going
    to take effect, every driving license obtained after Jan 2013 has an 15 yrs
    lifetime. After 15 yrs you have to go to the DMV, hand over a new picture
    and sign some paperwork, pay a few bucks and get a new one. There is no
    test, medical check or similar.

every "old" license has to be converted before 2033 to a "new one with
    expiration date" and will be renewed without any problems or test/check.
  18. philofax

Oddometer:
    a f800gs it is ...

Touratech 20mm bar risers -> they should have a small sticker, no one cares
    Touratech Bash plate -> no problem
    Hepco-Becker Carsh bars -> fine
    Touratech luggage rack -> fine
    BMW OEM hand guards -> fine
    TKC 80 tires -> if they are the same as for the german version (speed index etc) you are fine

speedometer > has to have km instead of miles (or both on it).

maybe i missed it, are you with the armed forces or similar, would make
    things easier ...
  19. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not coming over with the armed forces. SOFA would be a lot easier but not this trip.
  20. philofax

Oddometer:
    what you need is the extension "CE79" when filling the form for the new license.

the CE79 has to be granted to any new license if the holder wishes to get this
    with the "besitzstandswahrung" (acquise preservation) law.

a newer license shall not bring you less rights than the old one. this is why the
    CE79 can be added to allow 7.5 to and with trailer up to 12 to.