Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Don't know how I screwed up that post but I did

I cut my seat from the original foam down to a narrow saddle seat rather than a bench. Lots more room to be flexible now and I can grip the seat or tank if I need. Don't slope the fromt down or you will constantly find yourself falling toward the tank.

Shape the seat around your butt first and get comfortable. At the very last you can trim down the front to your wishes.

Test fit pictured above.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
Saltwater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Exercise pad from WalMart

I have a solo seat project going for my R80/7, and have put way too much effort into sourcing foam. Mail ordered several different types and have been disappointed -- too much give. I have used “Conforfoam” suggested by Scratch33 for a boat seat project, and it’s really great stuff, but is temperature sensitive, and very stiff when cold. Finally stumbled onto a suggestion from another forum, blue roll-up exercise mat from WalMart, only $16! See photos. It is really great for motorcycle seat applications... and did I mention cheap? It has a wave pattern on one side, and does not bottom out. Also, 3M makes spray glue specifically for foam, and it works great. Plenty of time to position the foam before it starts to cure. I am using a layer of 1/2" supposed high density foam from my local fabric store for a smidge of give to conform slightly better. It's the lighter color layer. Achieve desired thickness by adding as many layers that you want, but beyond about 3 or 4, I can't tell the difference. I want my solo seat to be thin, so am going with the sandwich shown in the photo.

Go to Walmart sports equipment department, and give the blue exercise foam a squeeze. I think you might like it.

Saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote