The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

Ok I'll ask becuase maybe I missed it but why is the bike laying down on the flatbed??

You may want to upgrade your tires if your gonna ride through mud...just my opinion.
  2. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling

Thanks for the offer, I did think about asking around but as I already have both Yamaha screens in the UK and neither of them suit me, I phoned Twisted Throttle and a new one will arrive today. It is the MRA flip that does it for me. No turbulence, quiet and best of all, no bugs. I can ride hundreds of miles looking over the screen and not get a single one on my visor.

Oddly enough, 5 minutes after the bird strike, we ran head on into a heavy duty thunderstorm and was pelted with 1/2" hail stones. It was painful but hilarious. We do not get that kind of weather very often in UK and if we do the stones are tiny by comparison.
    On top of that, we rode yesterday with the broken screen, we got covered in bugs and our microphones were permanently activated.

I also have a Wasp Works screen adjuster so if it gets too hot, I just lower it. Thanks Greg :thumb

I still have the flip part of my old screen intact so if anyone wants one to attach to the Yamaha screen, let me know by the end of today and provided you pay the postage, it's yours. Else it goes in the bin with the rest of the bits.

EDIT. Found that F**king stupid pheasant. Good old GoPro.
    [​IMG]
  3. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    Oh crap, now you gonna have to go back to the Tail of the Dragon to get another sticker :lol3

Glad you okay
  4. Old Git Ray

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Fortunately we have spare Dragon ones :rofl.

It is the Union Jack and the $80 National Park pass that are going to be the problem.

It's a good job we have a hair dryer ( :huh :baldy sadly , I am not joking) to maybe get the old ones off with enough shape to be used again.
  5. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think he meant pheasantly surprised.
  6. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

No problem. Glad you got the windscreen issues sorted so quickly.

And I'll take your old top piece of the MRA just to fiddle about with, if you still have it and the offer still holds. Just tell me where to send the postage, etc., and how.

And that's a *HELL* of picture of your pheasant!!! :eek1

IIRC, if you can just cut the part of the damaged windscreen free that has the sticker, take it to the next the National Park office you come across, and show them the windscreen was hit by a bird, etc. they will give you another pass sticker for no charge, especially if you have the receipt with with you from your original purchase.

That's how it works down here with the Padre Island National Seashore (which is a National Park).

Just FYI...

Hope the the rest of your ride is safe, and no birds!!!

Dallara

~
  7. Old Git Ray

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Fortunately we have spare Dragon ones :rofl.

It is the Union Jack and the $80 National Park pass that are going to be the problem.

It's a good job we have a hair dryer :huh :baldy (sadly , I am not joking) to maybe get the old ones off with enough shape to be used again.
  8. Flydream

Flydream King of the Atlantic

Oddometer:

Nice bird strike pic:eek1 his (pheasant) last thoughts : this f**king BLUE tenere is f**king fast...
  9. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:
    Ole Git and his missus are truly on an adventure ride!

Just glad you stayed up when you took that missile direct hit. :)
  10. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:

Being a married man myself, I know you're not joking.:D
  11. WestVirginia

WestVirginia Well spoke'n

Oddometer:
    The flatbed owner...can I play an IRS official appearing before Congress and take the Fifth? :pain

Was upset enough to cancel Progressive and go to State Farm.
    State Farm said they would only insure my bike if they insured my cars as well. I told her I was sticking with USAA and she said, "I'll deny I said this but nobody is cheaper than Rider Insurance for motorcycles."

I've cooled down some, so don't know that I'll switch. Motorcycle still won't start however. Luckily my accessories have arrived at the dealer (discounted when I purchased my bike) so I will have them look at it and plan to use the down time to get the re-flash done with AF-1. Dealer will hand me the ECU when the bike is apart, but I have to mail it off.

As for tires, you are very correct that based on my riding I need a different set. Just soooo hard to remove brand new tires and pay for another set.

Any links/opinions on K60's vs. knobbies would be appreciated.
  12. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Dallara

Oddometer:

You have probably already done this, but if not make sure you e-mail or call Ed Cook at AF-1 Racing first:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/contactUs.asp

And make all the arrangements for your re-flash first. He'll need some information about your bike and any modifications so he can order the proper re-flash file from ECUnleashed, and sometimes it takes ECUnleashed a couple of days to e-mail him "your" flash file.

Ed also travels a bit to races and events, as well as between AF-1's two stores, so you'll want to make sure he's gonna' be around when your ECU hits his desk.

He's a real nice guy, and the more info and advance you give him the smoother and quicker your re-flash will go.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~
  14. Martin_404

Martin_404 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It comes down to : It costs 15 cents and you will like it very much.
  15. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    "No dear, that's not what I meant by Pheasant Under Glass."

To the sound of aircraft collision avoidance device(TCAS): "Whooop whoop Pull Up Pull Up"

Q: What was the last thing to go through the mind of the pheasant?
    A: His ass.
  16. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    @Old Git Ray - As I recall, the National Parks Pass sticker is not really a pass, you should have also gotten the card that you needed to sign the back of. The sticker is just a nice thing to have, especially if you're camping inside a N.P.

If you still have the card, that will get you into the parks. Remember, the card is punched for the month you got it, the sticker isn't, as I recall. They may give you a new sticker if you explain the problem and show your pass, but most N.P.s don't carry the stickers, you usually have to get those online.
  17. tpak

tpak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Variation on the old joke:

Q: What is the first thing to go through a pheasants mind when it hits the windscreen of an S10?
    A: It's A$$hole

18. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Dallara

Oddometer:

From the descriptions, apparently the hole goes through first, followed then by the rest of the a**...

I think we need to ask Ray. :dunno

:rofl

Dallara

~
  20. Old Git Ray

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm just an plain ordinary a$$hole myself. How would I know ?

I do know mine got a bit bigger at the time :huh