Honda SH 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Paulvt1, Apr 26, 2009.

1. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one of these http://www.buybits.com/product/7157.aspx and one of these unit-specific RAM holders http://www.buybits.com/product/5741.aspx for my 2007 model. It mounts on the mirror post

Buybits are good to deal with.

Hope this helps,

John
  2. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't reside in the UK then you probably wont receive this letter from Honda regarding a stalling issue.
    [​IMG]

They are not just re-mapping the ECU, but changing it all together. Just thought I would let you know in case anyone was experiencing this problem.
  3. John Bentall

Oddometer:
    Mine's being seen on Thursday, 29th.
  4. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sounds like the same kind of problems the Big Ruckus had , a terrible bog off the line and then a flat spot before you were off and running .
    On top of that the single rear shock was so weak replacing it was a must . Unfortunately instead of re-calling the BR and fixing the problems
    Honda just ended production . This IMHO was the biggest mistake Honda has ever made . The Big Ruckus again IMHO was the best scooter
    concept of all time , and I mean that sincerely .

Once I re-jetted the carburetor to eliminate the bog , replaced the rear shock with a Bitubo , and then replaced the variator with a Jcosta ,
    it became what it should have been off the show room floor , the world’s best’s 250cc scooter ever .The only thing I would change on top
    of what I’ve already changed is add a little bigger motor , another 50cc’s would have done the job .

Compared to other scooters the BR is like a tank ,and if you are willing to give up the passenger seat you can install a mega sized trunk on it .
    If I were in charge at Honda I would build 3 ruckus scooters , the 50cc , a 300cc and a 600cc . They have the power trains , but not the will apparently .
    I’ve owned a lot of bikes over the years , and I’ve learned there is no such thing a the perfect bike for every one and for every use . That said for me
    the Big Ruckus came pretty close . Maybe it would have been to expensive to do it right , and then no one would have bought one ? I heard from several
    people that they thought they were to expensive at around 6K out the door , so another $500 to do it right might have killed demand ?

If some one is looking for the best bang for the buck and doesn’t mind the plastic body , a low mileage Reflex with the carburetor re-jetted and a jcosta variator would
    serve him or her well . This is especially true for some one who drives in inclement weather a lot of the time , the stock Reflex offers a lot of wind protection .

That’s my 2 cents on the subject .........TheReaper!
  5. ONYERBIKE

ONYERBIKE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had my 2008 SH300 for about 3months now, never had a problem, bike has been great, just had an 8000 mile service done and the dealer changed the ECU as part of a recall..... got the bike back, rode into London so about 30 miles of mixed riding, motorway, main roads etc, bike was fine, stopped at a red light, went to pull away when light went green and the engine just stalled, started again no problem and was fine for the rest of the day, rode the bike again the next day and the change oil light come on, this bearing in mind that I had just got it back from a service at a Honda dealer. Took the bike back and explained the problem, they put it on the computer and road tested it, apparently finding no faults with the bike........will have to wait and see what happens, hopefully just a blip where a technician wasn't doing his job properly.
  6. Steve_Dalton

Steve_Dalton Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Got my one booked in for Oct 8th. I have had it just cough and stall at the lights with no load on the throttle. Apparently the dealer is fitting a new ECU plus a throttle body. I'm also getting two new keys (coded to the new ECU) which is handy because I snapped one of them opening the top box a year ago. I wasn't going to pay £70 for a coded key so I got a non-coded one for a fiver and used that just to open the top box. That snapped last week and they still say its not a problem! Has anyone else had that problem with the top box?
  7. John Bentall

Oddometer:
    The top box is so much aggro that I bought a Givi E47 and the Honda box lies in the attic for when I sell the bike. Indeed the previous owner had done the key-snapping job for me, so I bought it with 2 ignition keys and two box keys . You can see my color-matched Givi in the photos above. Since I will recoup most of the cost of the Givi by selling it on Fleabay when the time comes, I don't regard it as that expensive.

Apparently the 8,000 mile service includes an ECU reset for the idling speed, so with my new ECU at 7,500 miles I don't need that job :clap.

Regards,

John
  8. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin Nuvi and intend soldering a mono female jack directly onto the speaker so I can then wear a mono earpiece and hear the instructions without glancing. Hope it works.
  9. John Bentall

Oddometer:
    I have done exactly that with a previous Garmin i3 and it worked fine. A couple of pictures of the "operation" would be brilliant!
    John
  10. John Bentall

Oddometer:
    Just in case anyone is interested, the alternator is 368W at 5,000 rpm. Source: Workshop manual

I had a pair of non-Honda (R&G) heated grips fitted recently and was assured the alternator had plenty of capacity. These grips are wired through the ignition and shut down if the battery charge level is too low.

Regards,

John
  11. _Tom_

_Tom_ n00b

Oddometer:
    hello, please how did you adjust to the PL175 honda sh 300th one point below the rear bolt handle. But what next? remade as the bolt back to the rear rack.

last point could be the rear shock bolt.

thank you very much for your answer. Ideally, the e-mail: neuman.tomas@gmail.com

power would mean to me

thank you
  12. _Tom_

_Tom_ n00b

Oddometer:
    Nobody knows the answer?
  13. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just fitted these to the SH300, probably easier to fit on a motorcycle. They make a great difference to your hands on my cold commute to work. I put together a vid on how I fitted them if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg3YZIotsUc
  14. John Bentall

Oddometer:
    I was a very lucky chap, as my local Honda dealer was doing a deal at £90 for grips (R&G) including fitting. The grips are linked to the ignition and have a low voltage cut-out. The final invoice showed a nominal 1/2 hour for fitting - but I know it took a lot longer even for the professionals.
    They do make a huge difference.
  15. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was a good deal John, I paid £45 including postage from the bay. I would imagine if you are used to working with the SH300, then working around the panels wouldn't be a problem, I just found everything so tight. I will remove the inline fuse during the summer months, so the grips wont be left on accidentally.
  16. agesofman

agesofman n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I've had my 2008 SH300 for almost 4 years now and have enjoyed over 11,000 miles of great fun and trouble free riding.
    I have had the recall notice but have not had it done as;
    a) I have not had any problems (if it ain't broke don't fix it!)
    b) The mix of performance and economy for 280cc is just so good I wonder if the new ECU will adversely affect the SH to fix a problem I don't have? (I log every fill into a spreadsheet & my SH's lifetime overall mpg is 79.7. This included one winter where I fitted a big screen which knocked down average mpg to 74).

Have any of you guys who have had the ECU update noticed any performance or fuel consumption changes?
  17. aeromys

aeromys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had mine done at Farnham Honda a couple of months ago, although I hadn't had the problems either. I put it in cos a) it was free, and b) I hoped they might clean it :D
    Mines 2 years old / 9000 miles only used for the daily commute, and haven't noticed any difference in either starting, fuel economy or pick up / torque since they did the ECU swap, however my oil change light came on last week (about the right time) but won't cancel ! I'm wondering if it's related to the ECU swap. It's been on before and always cancels with ignition on, engine not running, hold down the trip and clock button together. This time just can't get it to switch off :hmmmmm
  18. diethornig

diethornig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you suggest any good ride for the dirty roads?
  19. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dude, we get the fury. there is a blue one sitting in my local dealer it has been there for a year or two.

also here it is on the honda uk website where only models available in uk are shown.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/custom/#!/vt1300cx/
  20. ONYERBIKE

ONYERBIKE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its now been a few months since I had the ECU recall done by my local Honda dealer, took it back to them and they found nothing wrong....................
    since then, the bike stalled a few times when pulling away from standstill, it stalled once whilst riding along in central London, which wasnt the best considering that you need to have the brake held in to restart the bike....................
    After a few weeks of riding, the bike stopped stalling and has been perfect ever since