Travel restrictions based on country of origin

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Sp4Mike, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know Americans cannot travel to countries, that say, a Brit can. But even Brit's are restricted from some nations. Is there a country who's residents can travel freely throughout the world?

If there isn't one, what country has the least trouble? What countries residents can get into (and out of) Iraq, Iran, Saudi, Kuwait, Libya, Egypt, The 'Stans, yet still be able to get into the US, Australia, all of Europe, Russia etc? Does such a place exist?
  2. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What countries are those, that Americans cannot travel to? I know that getting a visa for Iran, for example, can be quite tough for some nationalities at the moment.

My Finnish passport should get me visas to all countries you listed, except maybe Saudi-Arabia. Do you plan to change citizenship? :lol3
  3. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
  4. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe! :evil
  5. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

Search criteria "whcih country has the least travel restrictions?"

:p
  7. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Denmark, Sweden, and Finland #1? Am I reading that right? They have 173 countries that you can travel to without a visa? That seems strange.

8. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Without visiting every country's foreign office website it's hard to say but it sounds about right. I was surprised to see Germany ranked so highly though :p

It's also worth remembering that there's roughly 200 (the number varies depending on who you talk to) countries so if the ones you want to visit are the 27 with restrictions.....

I also suspect that war/civil unrest zones cause more restrictions than visa requirements.
  9. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Good point.
  10. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I'd wish to travel some of those countries...risk out weighs benefit for me. There's still a lot of the world to visit that has minimal risk attached.

http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/

Looking forward to reading your middle east RR :wink:

dammit..now where's my passport....
  11. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Years in the future my friend. I will go back to Iraq though. Other then people sometimes trying to kill me, it was a beautiful place with some pretty cool people and awesome history.
  12. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    I'm also facinated by Mesopotamien history... but people trying to kill me would turn me off :eek1 and that's a shame.

Good luck finding the 'perfect' passport country...

oh hang on...I'm already there. :ricky
  13. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny you say that as I'm reading Sydney to London on a105cc Honda callled Dot with all his troubles with Iran! Not sure if he had a British or Aussie passport though.
  14. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Not sure what Nathan has...been awhile since I read it. Don't think it would make much difference :D
  15. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are probably right. Stupid governments and their squabbling.
  16. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That link is may be cutting a few corners short. Though that´s tough to prove, cos they don´t even list the countries, that for example Finns could travel without a visa, they just announce, how many there are, according to them!

Especially ´Visa-on-arrival´ is something, that´s almost guaranteed to lead to confusion. In some cases, it could be available only, when you arrive via certain entry points (usually the biggest airports), and there may be other conditions, that you need to fulfill in order to get the VOA. And these regulations change all the time. So it´s really not so simple, any list would probably be out of date within a few weeks.
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    A number of years ago I was in Havana. A young Cuban I was talking with made the comment that "our governments don't like each other, but our people, no problem !
    He was of course referring to the USA and Cuba. I, of course wasn't supposed to be there.
    I am very resentful of the fact that my government tells me which countries I cannot go to. Of course, there are many countries I have no desire or interest in going to.
  18. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    :clap Yep. And all the people don't like their govbermint some of the time. :freaky

I know I don't.
  19. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had always felt that most people were pretty much alike and basically wanted the same things. However, the goings on in the Middle East often make me doubt .
  20. AlpineGuerrilla

AlpineGuerrilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, there is no country whose citizens can travel everywhere without the need of a visa. But maybe some come close to it. I guess usually those countries are from the western world, high income, possibily neutral and with only few people emigrating. Citizens from those countries possibly are no "threat" to the target country. But a bad influence can of course be its history (colonialization, diplomatic disputes, etc.), repercussions for different religions, economy, trade with "the enemy", repercussions for strong immigration laws (for example there are a few african countries that make it difficult for French passport holders to enter because it's difficult for themselves to get a french visa).

I'm thinking of countries like Finland, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Canada, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Belgium, etc.

But on the other hand, what countries are you think about where you are not able to get in? If you were from a poor country, yes, chances are high your visa gets declined when they don't believe that you only want to travel. But as a westerner, that happens seldom.

For you americans I can only think of problems with getting an Iranian visa. Saudia Arabia and Somalia is probably impossible, too, for different reasons. But those countries are off limits to others as well.

I think the problem is less your passport than your will to ride a motorcycle in said country. That poses more of a problem than going there as a backpacker where you have to travel on the usual bus/train routes (at least that's probably their logic).

-Azerbaijan only lets you ride your vehicle for 3 days or you have to pay a huge deposit
    -Turkmenistan requires a guide if you are there for more than 5 days (Transit visa)
    -China requires you to have a guide with you - somewhere around 150$ a day
    -Myanmar doesn't let foreigners participate in traffic
    -Israel - have fun getting there through land borders
    -North Korea - ummm, I won't have to specify that, do I? :lol3

Summing it up, the bigger problem probably is the security in some countries and being able to ride your bike.

Peter and Kay Forwood have ridden their Harley to every (or almost?) country that is. Including North Korea. I think they are Australian.