07 Bandit 1250 Reverse trike design?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by B-T, Mar 27, 2013.

1. B-T

B-T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I bought this crazy single seat reverse trike project that is supposed to use a Yamaha R1 motor and lots of custom stuff for the fuel system, cooling, etc... and I just am not up to the task of figuring it all out. To that end I bought a 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 that I am hoping to graft into the back of the reverse trike frame. My question is what are the best attachment points / methods to get the power from the back tire transmitted to the forward trike frame? A picture of the trike project is attached. My plan is to ditch the fat drag tire and the fabricated rear swingarm and in its place put the back half of the Bandit 1250. the Bandit 1250 would lose the front tire and forks, and get the forward controls and instruments extended to the new seating location in the custom frame shown.

Should I have some bent 1/8" plate steel made up to bolt to the Bandit frame near the forward part of the engine? How about some way to connect the neck to a rigid frame? I can figure out the throttle cable, clutch stuff, and brake work, I just am having a hard time wrapping my head around how to join the two frames in a strong way without hacking up the Bandit frame. To be clear, I am not worried about where on the custom frame to attach but rather what are the good places to attach on the Bandit 1250 frame.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!

[​IMG]

:)
    BT
  2. cyclefreak13

cyclefreak13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am far from an expert on this kind of thing. I did see this a while back, and it might give you some ideas. The guy says that he has 0 modifications to the Honda ST frame that he is using.

http://inet-rendezvous.com/motoguzzi/trike2.htm

Who made your kit? Good luck with the build.
    Devin
  3. B-T

B-T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link! That page shows a nice detail of how to attach the neck of the bike frame to the front custom frame.

My trike was built by a guy in Richmond Kentucky. He has made all sorts of custom vehicles, but they rarely get completed. He doesn't have time to finish it, so I am going to find the easiest route to getting it on the road. If it proves to be too much to figure out I might just sell the kit as-is and get a DS or something fun to ride the trails near me (I'm in north Georgia).

I am pretty sure the motorcycle frame can handle the stress it would be under when tied into the trike frame, but just not sure if I should only use certain attachment points on the Bandit frame.

Thanks again!
  4. camaroz1985

camaroz1985 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sell it. Dibs ;)

Can you take a picture from the back? Might be easier to help you figure it out that way.

I think that the frame from the Bandit shouldn't have any troulbe with the stresses. If you did worry about that, you could make a "simple" cradle to mount the engine and capture the front pivot of the Bandit's swing arm.
  5. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seconds. As is. I would mount the bandit motor. Or even just go with the R1 stuff. Its gotta be less work than chopping and modifying for the Suzook Mill.
  6. uraberg

uraberg whosaberg?

Oddometer:
    Looks like it would be a shame to chop it up and mount a bike in the rear. It would ruin the look, and I doubt it would make it any easier.

How much would you sell it for?
  7. Jimm Dandy

Jimm Dandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this may or may not be a longshot, but the first person i would contact is Claude.. he builds some FINE hacks and used to be a sprint car builder/driver.. not to mention a great guy and very informative
  8. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Build it up from the R1. And post vids when you get it goin.
  9. XL-erate

XL-erate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I think it'd be a tragedy to chop up that cool chassis to literally half-ass cobble a whole motorcycle on the back half. I've seen several of those setups before, mostly in England, and every one I saw looked just as goofy as can be. They're a half-baked afterthought with no class or style or lines at all. You'd also ruin the handling and suspension of that rig as well as messing up the wheelbase to track dimensions. With a motorcycle tire in back it would fishtail all over the road just before it spins out in a brisk turn

If you're going to use it don't dork it all up, just stick an engine/trans in there, hook up cables for clutch and shifter, use an electric fuel pump with pressure regulator and end up with a very cool and unique ride. You would have to hook all that up anyways plus much more to stick a bike on back.

10. XL-erate

Oddometer:
    Pardon me for being so harsh but I really feel strongly on the subject. I studied deep and long on the 2F/1R reverse layout and was going to build one. My own design ended up very, very similar to what you show in the pic, so similar I'd claim it was stolen directly from my drawing boards if I didn't know better. Honestly that's one of the nicest chassis setups and layouts I've ever seen, extremely well thought out and accomplished. Somebody really knew what they were doing!

Building ultra-light I was looking at just under 200 top end, neck-snapping acceleration, insane handling, but sipping 75+ mpg with room for groceries and misc. when taking it easy, with a 2L in it.

You could have one wild machine there I guarantee it, nothing on the planet will handle like it and sky's the limit on motive power. You could be eating Ferrari's, Cobras and Vipers for a light snack. Just build it, man!

11. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I have to agree. Please don't chop up that beautiful chassis.
  12. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Agreed,its designed as a piece as is,chopping it up to stick half a motorcycle in there would only make a wobbly mongrel.
    Sell it to an engineer or someone who knows what needs to be done,if its set up for an R1 engine,seems like that would be a good start.
    It would be a blast to rip around in with 130 hp or so.
  13. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    My vote is for an all aluminum small block chevy ( or a huge turbo stuck on the side on a K series honda)
  14. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would keep what you have, It looks well done. Go as far as you can with what was started, Then pay some one to finish the parts you do not know how to do. It will more then likley still end up costing you less then changing every thing. Also this way there is a greater chance that you will be the person who finishes this rather then one person in a long line of people who have owned this project.
    And yes, we could finish this for you but as we are very busy it would take a while before we finished it. We have built similar stuff for other people and I use to build pro rally cars as well as vintage race cars and use to be an ASE certified master mechanic for both cars and medium and heavy duty trucks. Claude should be able also do it as could Brock of side-effects.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  15. B-T

B-T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I would love to finish it as planned, but I know I am not really up to the task. I bought the project three years ago for $13,000 if I remember correctly. It includes a 2008 Yamaha R1 engine / trans and harness / instrument cluster. There is an adapter plate for fitting that monster drag radial to the rear swingarm. The list of parts needed to finish it as I understand it are:
    • Fuel pump and lines (estimated $100 to $150)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    • Brake lines run ( est $50)<o:p></o:p>
    • Coolant hoses and a better radiator (the one I have doesn't look that trust worthy...bad e-bay buy on my part) (est $300 to $400)<o:p></o:p>
    • Motorcycle chain ($100)
    • Oil cooler ($150)<o:p></o:p>
    • Rear axle built (est $400)<o:p></o:p>
    • Sprocket ( est $40 to $50)
    • Header / exhaust (est. $300)<o:p></o:p>
    • Paint for frame (?)<o:p></o:p>
    • Misc stuff (there is always misc stuff)
    • Some of the body parts need more fiberglassing. The foam forms are all there, and the main piece on the top is done, one side pod is done, one side pod is about 25% done, the rear fender is about 50% done, and the engine scoop is in foam only.
    • The body panels need paint.
    • I am not sure how the electrical for the headlight and signals would be operated or wired.
    Anyway, I know I am not going to finish it with the R1 motor. Using the Bandit is the only way that I am going to get it on the road, and I know that it would not be nearly as cool or complete as using the R1 setup. If I were to sell it I would think something not too far from what I have in it would be my price, although I know this is the only chance I am going to have to own anything like this. If someone wants to make me an offer let me know. I am not planning on doing anything with the frame within the next month or so in any case. I did find some good attachment points for the main chassis to join.

Here is a few close ups of the front suspension / sway design... It uses Mustang II spindles and Wilwood brakes...

[​IMG][​IMG]
  16. B-T

B-T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finished this other ride about two years ago. It took too much effort and I am not up for that much aggravation again! It was cool though, the frame and design was also by the same guy I got the trike project from. It was using a Porsche 914 motor and trans, Pontiac Solstice suspension (like a shrunk down version of the C6 Vette stuff). It was quite the project!

:)
    BT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    How about some pics of the rear of that cool 3-wheeler?
  18. B-T

B-T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the design drawing for what it is supposed to look like from the side.
    [​IMG]

Here is the back swingarm:

[​IMG]
  19. Qwik

Oddometer:
    You are going to have as much or more work and half the quality if you do the bandit setup. Better off selling it and getting one thats closer to finished. Dont chop that beautiful beast up.
  20. XL-erate

Oddometer:
    Just wrote a long reply because Page 2 didn't display last time I looked! Never saw those pics. So I'm editing out all the suggestions I had as you've already been there and done that. Sure hope the ride gets to where it can be completed. Very nice on the other one.