Shinko 705s on a GS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by RRP13, Oct 8, 2013.

1. RRP13

RRP13 Kinda superbikey

Oddometer:
    I have searched with no real definitive answer, so if anyone can give some constructive/factual information on whether or not the Shinko 705 are suitable for the size/weight of the 1100/1150/1200 GS?

Thanks for any help.
    Mark
  2. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    The 705s got a bad rep when the earlier bias versions were prone to delamination, sometimes with ugly results. The radial version has not had any issues that I'm aware of. I've run them hard on my R12GS with no problems.
    birdman44 likes this.
  3. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    I have the radial 705 on my gs1200 and it is fine ( note there are two types of 705). Rear doesn't last super mileage but the front does. No problems with the ride or handling - but I'm a nanner in the rain any way.
  4. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Actually, there are a few counts of the 705 radials failing too, especially on the heavier 1200GS ADV. Not nearly as many, but it still has happened. I think the biggest thing though against failure is don't run them at lower pressures at higher speeds for extended periods of time. That combination seems to be what kills them.

I've had one rear radial 705 fail on me (right at the end of its life) so I didn't make a big deal about it, but my buddy who commutes daily on a 1200GS Adv has had 2 rear 705 radials fail on him and he's about as easy as they come on tires. He mostly got tired of the crap mileage out of the rear though. 4500-5k was about what both of us were getting.

He's finally given up on the rear 705's and runs a front 705 (which last forever) with a rear Heidenau K60 Scout. Just to tell you how easy he is on tires, he got 17k out of his first K60 Scout he ran. :eek1 :lol3 Match that with a front 705 that easily goes 20k+ and you don't have to change tires very often.
  5. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    My buddy had a chunk of tread come off his radial 705 and he had about another 4000mi left on it. His is on a weestrom. I was going to get a set, but ordered a Full-Bore M40 rear for the same price. We'll see how it holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  6. SLV2NON

SLV2NON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on my 4th rear, 2nd front. My first front lasted roughly 15,000 miles. First and second rear between 7,000 and 8,000 miles each.

Second front is at about 11,000 miles and looks amazing. Third rear lasted 10,100 miles and I don't have much mileage on my 4th rear yet.

Definitely keep an eye on the pressure. I'm much more religious about my tire pressures this second time around and I attribute the longer life to keeping it right at 38 psi front and rear.

I haven't had any delamination issues with my radials.
  7. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kept seeing these reports on the Shinkos..pulled the trigger on Heidi's K 76's..should be here in the 'morrow..

We'll see..
  8. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my second set of 705 radials on my 2005 1200GS.
    Getting 7K plus miles out of rear on increasingly crappy Cali roads and
    likely 10k plus on the fronts.
    I'm very happy with the handling.

Recommended!
    The price is great.

JR356
  9. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Ive only ran the rear 705 on my 1100gs, it was the non radial version, it was under $50 shipped ( this is a few years ago)

great tire, it lasted around 7000 miles on mostly pavement, with a few offroad forays. ( edit, the mileage was less than that, probably 5000-5500 that was before I kept good records on tires- before I realized the GS was going to eat them)
    it worked great on the road, wet and dry, and worked surprisingly well off road, gravel and dirt too.

If they were still under $50 I would still be buying them.
  10. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Front, great lasted forever, cupped horribly.

Rear radial(s) not so good. I had two do this (see pic) cracks went nearly all the way around the tires. One tire had a few too many puncture repairs. I kept it for those just in case moments. It was replaced with a new 705 (this is the one pictured), it had about 3000 miles on it when the cracks appeared. I reinstalled the first tire and not long after it did the same thing. Motorcyclesuper store and shinko were good and gave me credit for the second tire. I didn't complain about the first tire as it had been punctured several times and was older.

If they can get rid of the cracking issue I'd use them again because apart from the cracking I did like them especially for the price. I now run Bridgestone Battlewings which cost a bit more but do everything I want them to. I also get to wear them out.

[​IMG]

YMMV
  11. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Pictures like this show that even the radials still have problems. I tried the 705 on a KLR about 4 years ago and the rear looked exactly like that.

No way in hell would I run such a questionable tire on a $15k motorcycle but that's just me.

Cheap tires are OK on trail bikes but not on ginormous dual sports. And if these last 5k miles (or less if they self destruct) and an Anakee lasts 9k miles, then they really cost exactly the same, with less hassle, fewer mounting fees, and more peace of mind not wondering if your tire is going to shit it's self 700 miles from home.
  12. SLV2NON

SLV2NON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How long ago was this? I agree I've noticed cupping on the front, though I've noticed no issues on my rear tires. How much weight on your bike? Maybe it's a load issue? For reference, I commute 20 miles daily riding solo with little weight most days(I weight 170). I do have my 110lb girlfriend on back typically for 100 miles each week.

13. Poe

Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got just over 6000 solid (mostly spirited pavement) miles out of a rear 705 radial on my 1150 and it probably had a few hundred more left in it, but the front Tourance was shot, so I replaced both - with new Shinko 705 radials. I'd read about the tread cracking/separation issues (mostly on the older non-radials) so I was very careful to not let the pressure get low... kept it at 42 lbs. Never had any problems whatsoever. No cracks... no tread separation. I was very happy with the handling/traction on-road and off. I scrubbed in the new set this past weekend - including some dirt/gravel roads and they work great! Considering the new SET cost me $143.90 shipped from Ron Ayers, I don't think I could do better.

Here's what my rear looked like after it came off after 6000+ miles:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
  14. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Here is my old rear tire, it had 5000 +/- 1000 on it

the new tire is a big bore M40, im liking it so far ( about 100 miles on it) ( very similar tire, about same cost, more space between the center strip lugs though)

[​IMG]
  15. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Both cases happened after several hundred mile slab trips. Both times I was solo with some luggage (not heavy). Tires were kept at 42psi. First cafe happened about 14 months ago. The second a year ago. Normal usage is two up all road types and speeds (not high).
  16. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I decided to give them a try based on the reviews on various sites selling them (think I decided on revzilla in the end).

I'm about 2500 miles or so in on the set I have now (first set). Done everything but deep sand and rain with them. There's no mud in Kalifornistan, so I can't speak to that either. But, a good bit of loaded and unloaded spirited twisties and some admittedly harder off road than planned. My thoughts are they are a darn good tire for the money.

Off Road: When mildly aired down dirt roads are great and easy to slide the bike around. Hard pack is kinda fun and even let's you slide the front without too much drama. The same with low speed rock crawling. I had a couple hits on the last trip where I thought I would have bent the rim or sliced the tire, but they held up well.

On Road: Turn in takes a bit more effort. There also isn't as much feel with many other tires at full tilt and when they break away, one needs to pay attention as the feel is a bit nebulous. They feel like a hard tire, but are just fine when you get used to them. I wouldn't recommend just taking off and riding your favorite set of turns like an ass clown until you start to understand the characteristics.

Would I buy again? Absolutely. Right now they are my street tire choice based on price and wear characteristics. For real dirt, I just mounted a set of TKCs (ran Hiedenau's last set of dirt tires) for a ride down to Baja that I'm leaving for today.

Hope that helps a little.
  17. catneck

catneck Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Mounting up a 705 front to match the po's rear radial 705 on my new to me GSA.
    Looking forward to testing the set, anything's better than the mismatched tkc it replaced.
  18. kimzx1000r

kimzx1000r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been through 2 rears and 1 front on a GSA with no problems. Roughly 5000 miles on each rear. Half of that on gravel. Turns into slicks in mud! Worked well everywhere else!
  19. OBX-RIDER

OBX-RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got 4,000 miles on a set, most of it 2-up and they are doing fine. They've done good on and off-road. I don't push them like Pilot Road 3s but I have drug a peg or two. I check them pretty often and more carefully than normal.

I typically run them 42R/38F on-road but I had an occasion to ride about 50 miles of sand/gravel followed by 200 miles of pavement and the sand/gravel was so deep I dropped to 24 lbs. We were 2-up with a weekends gear and I checked the tires every stop until we found a gas station with air. Since then I am religious about carrying a CO2 inflator and 3 or 4 cartridges.
  20. Poe

Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 1150GS had Tourances on it when I bought it last year and I replaced the worn rear with a Shinko 705. Ran it at 42 psi on mostly pavement with the occasional dirt/gravel road. No problems whatsoever... got about 7k out of it. Liked it so much I just put new 705's on both ends. Planning to ride down to Florida (from SC) in March and try the Trans-Florida GS Rally DS ride on them, so I guess I'll find out how they are in sand.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944411

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk