trials boots

Discussion in 'Trials' started by team ftb, Jun 17, 2015.

1. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After riding dirt bikes for 20 odd years I finally picked up an old 2001 Beta Rev 3 to try this trials stuff.

So far a fun way to spend a couple hours and hopefully learning some new skills and open my eyes to a new endeavor.
    I've got a question on gear. I've been wearing my Gaerne SG10's for a bit now. Great for protection but they do feel bloody clumsy on this tiny bike and scampering down rock bands that i crash on. Soooooo long story short what boots can I A) get away with if trying to do it on the cheap to see if I want to commit to the sport, or B) if I go whole hog what are the two most popular brands/model; of trials boots out there people are using?

Thanks inc advance.
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I know there are at least several threads on trials boots. Lots of opinions, I'd do a search.
  3. nmtrialsguy

nmtrialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gaerne make the best trials boot also, not cheap unless you find used. I love my Balance Oiled trials boots.
  4. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wulfsport, not bad for the buck about 225.00 retail
    Will get you what you need, and save the 100.00 to boot ( No Pun ) :wink:
  5. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alpinestar nostops
    SIDI trials boot (just got)
    Novagar (my last boot)
    Hebo

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
  6. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    +
    Gaerne Balance Pro Tech (I have these, luv 'em)
    Gaerne Balance Oiled
  7. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    :scratch Uh, OK?
  8. ktm360mx

ktm360mx Woof

Oddometer:
    I started wearing hiking boots when I first bought a trials bike 15 years ago. Still wear them today.

Works for me.
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Not a best boot choice long term, however a good cheap option for me was to use my BMW adventure street boots for my first few months. They had a heal witch wasn't the best but being a bit like the SIDI discovery rain boot where more flexible then MX/enduro boots and gave me much better controle of the bike to start with.

In the end I found a good pair of the AlpineStairs Nostops and love them. :clap
  10. OR Trail

OR Trail looks for unlocked gates Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gaerne Balance Oiled make a great touring / general boot as well, so if you are into that kind of riding they transfer well to other uses should trials not be your long term thing. Good for hiking around off the bike as well.

I thought the same way and started with the softest boots I had around, Aerostich Combat Lite made by Sidi. They worked fine but a sole ripped from grinding on the sharp pegs.

Gaps in shin coverage could be an area to think about too. My knee / shin guards overlap with the boots (now) after learning that the pegs, bike and rocks offer lots of hard pointy places to land.
  11. lowes48

lowes48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alpine Stars No Stop work great and are also awesome dual sport boots as well!
  12. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks gents. Picked up a pair of Gaerne Balanced Oil boots.

WOW!!!!WaaaaĆ ay different than my Gaerne SG 10S mx boots. I cannot beleive they are put together by the same manufacturer even.
  13. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    People refuse to realize that Where I have posted that my trials boots are actually more comfortable than medium priced brand name tennis shoes...

In fact I kind of tell them, they are like a heavy leather, higher than high top basketball shoes, when broken in, the oiled ones break in quickly. at a trials even I seldom even take them off to put on tennis or hiking boots, because they are comfortable... when tired and really hot, then maybe. after a shower, I put on my tennis shoes, lol.
  14. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    No Stops work great for trials but are way to flimsy for dual sport or off road. For that stuff I break out the Tech 10s.
  15. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    How did sizing compare? I have a pair of gaerne gx-1 in size 13, my merrill hiking boots are 12, my saucony running shoes 11.5
    Looking forward to the wide toe box on the oiled balance...
  16. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    Why dont you do a search?
    guess what comes up first? A thread from 2010.
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I guess my search engine must be different than yours. I came up with at least a dozen threads in the last two years that, where people are discussing what type of trials boot to buy, have bought and whether they like them or not.
  18. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    Find any dicussing gaerne's sizing on the oiled balances?
  19. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/gaerne-balance-oiled-boots.600428/#post-13491137
    Been looking for five years!:imaposer Since the Garne oiled boot has been around almost twenty years, I`ll give you my two cents. They are a good comfortable boot. Originally they were sized on the big side. But as the company has changed from sewing machines to the computerized machines the sizing has become tighter. Nothing worse than a tight boot. I`d go with a larger fit and at the worst wear the old style mx socks.
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer: