What riding gear for tall skinny guy?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Laser145, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Laser145

Laser145 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I currently ride without any armored gear, but I'm getting older (more careful) and I would like to change that.

Most of the gear I try on is cut for much larger men... I'm tall at 6ft 2in, shirt size 15.5/35, but I'm skinny...32in waist, 40in chest. I wear a 40 Long Jacket and I still get it taken in in the back.

I really like the Aerostich Fallstaff Jacket found here: http://www.aerostich.com/falstaff-motorcycle-jacket.html
    But I've heard it's too roomy for me.

I currently ride in NYC year round but I'm looking to get into offroad more and I'm thinking about the TAT in a year or two.

Are there any gear manufacturers that cater to my skinny ass?

Thanks!
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in this too. I'm not quite as tall nor skinny as you, but my Olympia one-piece suits are designed for someone that's probably about 50 or 60 pounds heavier than me, if not more. I have all the cinches tightened down about as much as they will go, and still have lots of loose fabric around my are arms and legs.

When I tried on the next size smaller, the suit was far too short.

Jamie
  3. theMJF

theMJF n00b

Oddometer:
  4. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've found that most all touring and most adv-styled gear is cut for short fat folks:lol3. I'm a little shorter than you but probably similarly proportioned. Stuff aimed at a sport rider tends to have a much more athletic cut as do the more euro-focused brands (revit, dainese, etc), they also usually have tall sizes. Tiezms' "tall" sport-oriented leathers are nicely cut for an athletic build, but I'm not sure if he's still making them. Joe rocket sport style gear fits me well and they have tall sizes.

Motocross gear will generally fit you fine, its made for an athletic type. Depending on inseam the pants may be a tad short, but that doesn't really matter as the knee armor is worn separately and the pants tuck into the boots.

Aerostitch told me none of their off-the-shelf suits would fit me well, I'd guess matters would be worse for you from them. They might be able to custom fit a suit. Motoport does custom "fitting" (I use the term "fit" loosely - while they do custom sizes, their idea of a good fit is a bit weird). Motoport stuff is ultra durable though and might be worth a shot.

Tiezms has tall sizes on their adv stuff - I just checked. I'd guess a medium-tall might work for you, but you can ask the folks there.
    http://store.teizms.com/power-shell
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If you want a suit that will do it all for you, take a look at the new KLIM Badlands Pro or the Latitude. I'm 6'1", 180lbs, 33" Waist, 44" Chest, 34" Inseam. The "32 - Tall" Badlands pants fit perfectly in the waist and Hip to Knee. Like any off-the-shelf riding gear, go try it on or be prepared to exchange it if it isn't the right fit.

Cheers,
  6. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I'm the same dimensions as DRTBYK and I wear a Aerostich Darien suit. The jacket is L (from before they did numerical sizing - it's about 44), and the pants are 34 waist, long length.

This gear fits well enough and isn't too baggy, but an extra inch of sleeve and leg would have been better to prevent ride-up.
  7. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Exact same dimensions here. I had a Darien 40L jacket that fit well but for some reason never wore it so I sold it.

I've got a couple of Tourmaster large jackets that seem to be slim cut but I didn't trust their armor so upgraded to some other CE armor.

For winter riding I have a Kilmanjaro MT that fits well but isn't great for warmer riding.

Lots of pants in talls seem to be just 34 and up. WTF is up with that?

After trying to find some decent pants I evetually gave up a got some custom made Motoport Kevlar pants. I also ride in Diamond Gusset Defender jeans but that just gives you slide, not impact, protection.
  8. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    We are almost the same size (6'3", 185lbs, 41" chest, 34" waist, 33" inseam, 16.5 " neck and 36" sleeves) and a super long torso.

There is very little kit that fits me well...and you are even more slim in your build.

Most of the brands designed for Americans is cut for much larger guys. Even their tall sizes are too big in the chest/belly.

Alpinestars, despite being European, is cut more American.

Dianese used to be more slim, but has recently changed their sizing to be more American in their cut.

Rev'it! cut is definately slim, but may not be slim enough. Pants are available in tall sizes but jackets unfortunately are not (My XL Cayenne Pro is a little big in the torso but not quite long enough in the sleeves).

BMW gear, is available in long sizes.

The Aerostich falstaff, like the Darien, is cut for, ahem large men folk, while the roadcrafter has a bit more of an 'athletic' cut. Even with mods, even a 40L RC might be too short. The Transit is pricey but the long sizes are definately cut looong.

HTH,
  9. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    check out the BMW tall sizes on the Rallye 3 suits. They were just slightly too slim cut for me, so I ended up with a regular rally 3 size and its a little baggy. I wanted to leave a little room for weight gain as I'm at a 20 year low right now and also wanted room for warmer layers underneath.
  10. scoprire

scoprire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check Rev'It gear. Dutch made, so sizes tend to be a bit thinner than US gear. And they have tall sizes for most of it.
  11. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    +1 on any of the tall Klim pants
  12. joebiodiesel

joebiodiesel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I searched for a while trying to find pants that would fit me. After trying on more pants than I had patience for, I called the folks at Aerostitch. They sent me a pair or pants for me to make some measurements on, and then made me a pair of pants for me. My regular pants size is 36" waist, 38" inseam. Because I ride an FJR, and have a pretty steep knee bend when I'm on it, I needed 4" added to the bottom of their tall pants. I love them, and can't imagine ever buying a pair of pants that are too short again. It is definitely worth the extra bucks to get pants that actually fit.

My 2 cents.

Joe
  13. Laser145

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies. I Can see there are also others interested in the same question. Some of you other thin guys might still be bigger than me, as I'm only about 170lbs...

I'm all for buying and returning until I get the size right, but in reality, I'll probably be looking for used gear...stuff doesn't come cheap!

I'm going to look more seriously into these brands.

Cheers
  14. Laser145

Oddometer:
  15. jordan325ic

jordan325ic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Firstgear also sels tall sizes and is very good quality for the money. I'm 6'5" 200lbs and my firstgear mesh-tex jacket fits me well. I'm thin around the waist and I've got a couple of inches of play in that area, but when I was researching this jacket I found people complaining it was too tight, so I think it is more slender than an average "american cut". The firstgear tall mesh-tex pants I got are tall enough while walking around but when my legs are scrunched up on my small bike they are a little bit too short. I normally wear 36 length pants.
  16. ET-VT

ET-VT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty close to you in size (6'1", 32" waist, 165 lbs.) and I ended up with Rev'It gear after several poor-fitting outfits from Firstgear and Alpinestars. Rev'It offers Tall versions of their pants in what are normally Medium sizes. I normally wear a 32-34 jean and their Medium Tall size fits me perfectly. Most manufacturers don't start doing long inseams until you're over a 34" waist. Their jackets also seem to be cut slimmer and have longer sleeves than the American-sized equivalents. I wear a large and have the adjustment straps in most of the way in the summer and let them out when I start to layer in the fall.

I've been happy with my Rev'It Cayenne from 20°F to 106°F. I haven't found anything to complain about yet.
  17. Laser145

Oddometer:
    Awesome... You're the closest in size to me I believe.

I'm going to start shopping on the boards and eBay...I'm not in a hurry.

18. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
  19. Socrates

Socrates Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. My dimensions are very similar to yours. 6'1, 175 lbs, 15.5 by 35 shirt size, 32 inch waist, 34 inch inseam, 40 inch chest. Most off the rack riding gear does not come close to fitting me well.

My Rukka Airvision is a size 50 C3 which translates to a 40 Long in US sizing. It wasn't cheap but it fits me like a glove.
  20. Lujo

Lujo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm about the same in terms of dimensions, and always struggle with jacket bagginess. I'm now using a Rallye 2 Pro in a tall/long size, which fits pretty well. Also, Motoport will make custom gear. I have their pants, which I've been very happy with for going on 8 years now.