Air horn that works?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AKjitsu, Apr 1, 2012.

1. AKjitsu

AKjitsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there such a thing as a high-output horn that is long-term reliable? Reading this and a number of other forums, I get the impression that Stebels don’t fare too well unless mounted where they’re shielded from the elements (not an option on a Multistrada).
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I’d very much like to have something that will bitch-slap a cage back into their own lane but I’d rather stick with a pip-squeeker that I know is going to work rather than a beast that may or may not work when I need it.
  2. RC51LV

RC51LV THE RC51 RIDER

Oddometer:
    WebBikeworld.com did a comparison and the HELLA SUPERTONES were the best !!! Check them out :thumb
  3. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had very good experiences with Stebels. Mounting them out of the weather is important and replacing the cheap relays with the Eastern Beaver relay and wiring kit helps a lot. I also periodically operate the horn for a second or two.
  4. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up a Wolo Badboy from Harbor Freight a little while ago. Think it was $30 or $40.

Haven't got it mounted up yet, still need to figure out how/where it's getting bolted onto the dirt bike. :lol3
  5. usafe7ret

usafe7ret Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look into the Screamin Banshee product. I just got 2 of them and trying to find time to install on my bikes.
  6. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I mounted a Stebel inside my fairing with beefed-up wiring and a good relay. Still failed. Won't be buying another.
  7. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    I thought about the stories of stebel horns failing this morning, and tried mine. I had been riding in some nasty dusty (brown out) conditions a couple weeks back and hadn't tried the horn.

Sure enough, first press got a quiet "phweeeeee". Held down the button and it cleared out in a second. This is mounted on an R1200GSA, below the steering head.

Has anyone checked a dead stebel for why it failed?
  8. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...my Stebel with heavy duty wiring and relays from Pat Walsh Design mounted on my V-Strom, kinda just hanging on the side of the bike out in plain view, is working fine after about a year. I love it.

:ricky
  9. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Stebel with original wiring and relay has worked just fine since I installed it just after buying my 2004. Tucked it under the fairing facing down and it has always worked just fine. Wonder if the failures aren't because of bad install?
  10. Sabre

Sabre Cheap & cheerful Supporter

Oddometer:
    The very nature of an air horn's mechanism makes them ill-suited to bikes.

I put twin Fiamms on all my street bikes (both the high and low tones) and honestly can't imagine why I'd want anything more. They're inexpensive, simple, and I've never, ever had one fail. Sometimes have to be a bit creative about mounting them, but I've never had a problem.
  11. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1.
    BTDT. Had nothing but issues with air horn over the decades. All of my bikes now carry Fiamm Freeway Blasters. Virtually the same dB rating. Nothing like sounding like a big SUV to get the attention of the brain dead cage drivers.
  12. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Wow those stebels look bad on web bike world - 3 out of 3 failures!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

Here's where I'm confused though - the horns don't seem any louder than a typical bike with slightly modified exhaust. From 10' they have:

1. Hella 96db
    2. Fiam freeway blasters 85db
    3. Stock 85db
    4. Stebel Magnum before dying 87db.

I always figured if you got your exhaust down to 85db's that would be considered really quiet no?
  13. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadly, they have failed at measuring the sound level for some reason.
    Note that they indicate the stock Duc horn at 86.4dBA for 2 feet. 85.3dBA at 10 feet, and 85.5dBA at 20 feet.
    That is so wrong.
  14. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to grab a Wolo for 37 bux, full retail, from HF when I travel down south in May however I thought I'd take a leap of faith for another clone offered from South Korea for 26 bux shipping included. Arrived to the west coast in 7 days in a retail box complete with wiring, fuse and relay.

As I already had my previous Stebel Nautilus original installed on my 1150GSA with the Excel Cycle Werkes mounting kit and relay the remove and replace of just the horn took all of 2 minutes.

As before very LOUD!

My old Stebel lasted 3.5 years and 40K miles. For 26 bux you can't lose...

If the Stebel/clone won't fit on your bike consider splitting it in half....I did that on a friend's bike. Took minutes and sounds identical.
  15. PhotoBiker

PhotoBiker Please insert title here

Oddometer:
    I've not had any problems with my Stebels mounted in areas that are not protected. I ride year round, dry, wet, snow/cold, they always worked when I needed them to.

You have to follow the directions and mount it as suggested, if it is mounted on an angle or perpendicular, it will not last long. If you intend to ride through standing water, you can connect a tube to it as a snorkel.
  16. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Nathan Airchime model K?

http://www.microprecisiongroup.com/nathan/kHorns.asp

:D
  17. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    got a link for the clone you bought?
  18. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    I have a 26" brass airhorn with compressor and 2.5 gallon tank on my truck for shits and giggles. I have it mounted sideways in a shield area to attempt to avoid issues with weather. Even this method sometimes allows water in, which impedes the tone till you blow the water out.

Bottom line is even with legit air horns, weather and such is a problem. Based on this I kind of feel like the stebels, the knock offs, and even the plastic horns are always kind of hit or miss depending on weather and mounting. I always prefer the button horns and those based on similar principals because they always seem to work when you need them.

No offense to stebel fans.
  19. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ive got no problem with stebel stuff. i have had a nautilus compact on my varadero for 4 years, its behind the forks on the engine in the elements. it used to fuse relays till i uprated to a 40A. it has worked fine for all this time but is getting a bit tired now.
    when it comes to replacing, i wont bother with the heavy airhorn i will get a hi/lo twin magnum setup
  20. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    I think (based on experience with exactly one Stebel) that the important thing is to protect the air intake against water, salt and dirt.
    The Stebel on my car sits directly behind the grille, in front of the radiator, with the air intake hose routed backwards into a protected area, just behind the radiator. Looks pretty grimy, but survived a Chicago winter without problems. Occasionally it gets a few drops of motor oil or a shot of WD40 into the intake hose.