National Forest Development Road 25

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by thebigkr, Aug 20, 2011.

1. thebigkr

thebigkr Stupid Freak

Oddometer:
    Heading out for Bend tomorrow to pick up a used Ducati for the wife and was looking at routes for the return trip to Bellingham. Typical route would include lots of boring as hell I-5 which I'm not that interested in. Looking at Google maps I see this fantastic twisty gem of a road between Carson on the Columbia and Randle on Highway 12, National Forest Development Road 25. Wondering if anyone has experience with the road? Looks to be well worth the added 2 hours.
  2. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    it's a fun road, worth the detour.

and, if you're detouring that much anyways, try to hit windy ridge. it's right off 25, shows some crazy volcanic devastation
  3. thebigkr

thebigkr Stupid Freak

Oddometer:
    I remember going to Windy Ridge with my wife when the access road was first put in; like 89 or 90? Just don't remember the road to get to the turnoff. Went for a hike and I remember the ground being a freaky volcanic rock that was like walking on styrofoam.
  4. zoomdude57

zoomdude57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome stretch of road. Road surface can be sketchy in places but otherwise breathtaking. You will get plenty of practice on the switchback!
  5. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The road to Windy Ridge (FS99) was closed 2 weeks ago. It's a fun and twisty road to ride.

FS25 is a nice road to ride as well, but as has been noted, watch out for the pavement imperfections (frost heaves) and pay attention to the ride. On a clear day there are great pull offs for pictures.
  6. mrazekan

mrazekan Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

Perfect for long travel larger dual sports. It will buck the sportbikes if you are not careful. But well worth the detour.
  7. thebigkr

thebigkr Stupid Freak

Oddometer:
    Well I'm back from Bend and I ended up taking 25. Thanks for the heads up on the road condition, someone needs to let them know that road maintenance is more than placing "Rough Road" signs in the places where the road bed has failed. All in all it was a great ride with several moments of terror when the Monster's suspension decided that throwing me over the bars was the thing to do (might have been my fault for not slowing down...but I don't think so).

I would go back and do it over again, only next time I'd take the GSA.

[​IMG]
  8. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    meh - it's a road, not a raceway. :dunno fun ride though - just gotta' pay attention. Next time, take 23 to troutdale - on your GSA. Was a fun ride on the R90/6... :1drink
  9. Easy-Z

Easy-Z Me wanna be

Oddometer:
    Nah, keeps the motorhomes off the road. I like it that way.

And you can't say you weren't warned. :lol3
  10. blkadvR

blkadvR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing what a difference a few months make ... we were just snowmobiling up there at the end of May? :D

Glad you enjoyed the ride ... that area is beautiful, no matter what season it is!

[​IMG]