Dragon Rally 2013

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Agent Wayward, Jan 3, 2013.

1. rescueMAN

rescueMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in the mists of time, I did 2 Dragon's, I think it was 79 and 80, I'll check the badges later.

79 was my first winter rally, and a cold one it was, I was on a BM R60-6 with a poor battery.
    A group of about 8 of us went up early Saturday morning, through various passes etc, heading up a road to one pass that looked snow bound, we were greeted by a guy coming down on a trail bike, sliding on its side. With a smile, he said "you ain't going up there" :wink:

3 of us sharing a tent, no airbed or anything, and I just a summer type sleeping bag, I froze!
    On getting up in the morning, early, there was an ambulance on site, some unfortunate (a little to much to drink) hadn't made it into his tent at all, hyperthermia,,,,:eek1

Bike wouldn't start, flatish battery, good job site was on top of a hill.

Next one was a lot milder, a new CB900 this time, rain and mud, and I'd prepared not to freeze.

I fully enjoyed both, this year I was just too late trying to get tickets, all sold out.
  2. Dirtyboydeadly

Dirtyboydeadly AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer:
    I'm going up on thursday with a group and we stay in Betws-y-Coed and explore friday before going to the rally sat morning.

This will be my 2nd dragon, Some of us are going to the Ogri kickstart rally this weekend as a warm up :evil
  3. Harty

Harty Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer:
    Have 2 x spare Dragon Rally tickets if interested??

Cheers
  4. Agent Wayward

Agent Wayward 2 wheels good, 3 wheels better!

Oddometer:
    Might be worth PM'ing rescueMAN?

I've just set fire to my sleeping bag, which isn't an ideal start to my Dragon preperations. :eek1
  5. Agent Wayward

Oddometer:
    Just in case anybody wants to witness me beating my head against the ground at my own stupidity, and for general piss taking information, I shall be arriving (that's a tad optimistic to be fair) on (shock horror) a solo motorcycle.

I say motorcycle, I mean "machine possessed by the devil". It's become known as the bike with no key. It's not mine. It's a prototype. It's a small capacity trail bike with a yellow frame, big ally panniers and a penchant for seting fire to things and generally throwing it's toys out of the pram.

If you do spot it, please come over and see me, I may well be in need of medical attention, or cider. If in doubt, administer cider first. :1drink
  6. Skidpan

Skidpan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, was it the AJP? Only wondering, cos that bike stood out.
  7. Agent Wayward

Oddometer:
    Yup, that was the one!

Not a bad Dragon, all things considered.

So long as you ignore the 250 mile ride in the snow, sleet and rain, punctuated by a small fire and running out of fuel.

It was quite good on site, so long as you don't mind a bit of mud and constant, unabating rain.

Then there was the ride home, now that was memorable. But not in a good way.

Rain, of course, all the way, all 250 miles and 5 hours of it. No fires, which was good. But the left peg and sidestand did fall off, which was a bit annoying. And the indicators packed up. And the bastard thing ran out of fuel again (no fuel tap or light) 2 miles from the nearest filling station and I had no spare fuel by that time.

If I could get the whole bike up onto my bandsaw table, I'd be smiling right now. :)

It was good to see Tarka, Adge and a few others though. Met a few new friendly faces too.

See you all there next year. Over my dead body. :D
  8. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See you next year! Jep, this year we have to miss the Dragon.

First, our hack is till April, or so, on the way back from south america.
    [​IMG]

Second, we runnig out of holiday days :deal

But 2014 we will be back to the Dragon. Since we go, we allways make the week before, or after, a little journey through a district or department of England. Maybe 2014 Lake District. . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    There is a rumor that someone was found dead in their tent sunday. :ear
  10. Agent Wayward

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to say that it isn't a rumour.

RIP Ken Chaplin, who didn't have to endure packing up and riding home in the rain this year.

:(:
  11. rescueMAN

rescueMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    only just saw that there was spare tickets sorry guys. sounds as if it was a bit wet though!

So the hazards of winter rallying now include,,,,, death! :huh
  12. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    Indeed they do.
    And the hazards are not to be taken lightly......quite apart from riding in the Winter conditions,simply spending a day and night (plus the return day) in them whilst sleeping 'rough' is not for the faint hearted or physically unfit.

Much like the Krystall Rally in Norway where tents are now banned following more than one rally goer freezing to death overnight.
    It`s now a hotel only meeting.
  13. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    It cant of been the cold as it was a mild night.

Was colder when I got home to aylesbury as the rain was turning to snow
  14. Skidpan

Skidpan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was only mild, it must've been Kens time, that's all. My mate forgot his sleeping bag and slept in his bike kit. Didn't sleep much, mind, but he was ok. He reckoned he got colder riding home. Mind you, he was on a 110cc step-thru. We all got wet, but I've been much wetter, and much colder at previous Dragon Rallies.