Tiger 800 problems; for reference only please

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Rob Dirt, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    This thread is for reference only. Please don't rant, or post how you have not had any problems. I'm happy yours is perfect. This thread is not for you. I want to make a thread for people to post what's wrong & what Triumph did to fix the problem.

I got one of the first 2011 Tiger 800XC ABS.
    At about 2000 miles my XC would not start or idle w/out throttle. This happened after the new tune came out to solve stalling issues. My dealer could not figure out what was wrong because everytime I took it in, it would work perfect. After 5000 miles of having to turn the key on & off for 30 seconds until it would start & idle, they installed a new stepper motor. It's been perfect ever since.
    Next, my gear indicator sensor would not recognize neutral when it was cold. After riding for 5 minutes, it works fine. The second day of that, I got a check engine light. It's been 2 weeks & I'm still waiting on a new sensor. They have a new part # so it must be a known problem.
    The only other thing is my fault. I rode thru some thick sticky mud & the rear ABS ring got covered. This caused a check engine light for "speed sensor error". The ABS model uses the ABS as the speed sensor. I just had to clean the ABS ring & get the check engine light reset.

I love my Tiger & plan to keep it forever.

Update 6-8-12: I got a new Gear Indicator Sensor installed today. The dealer also did the recall for the shifter return spring. And the newest tune. My only complaint is that it took almost 8 weeks to get the new sensor. My Tiger had the check engine light on the whole 8 weeks.
  2. X-Ray

X-Ray Over Radiated

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The gear position sensor went out at 4800 miles, and was replaced with the new part # also. I have the newest tune installed, but did not have the stalling issue. I am at 7600 miles so far, and I am loving my Tiger 800.
  4. E-town dirt dude

E-town dirt dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the stalling problem after the first service. It took Triumph a couple of months to come out with a new program. After the remap was reinstalled it runs perfectly. I have 6000 km on the bike now.

The only other problem is trying to get rid of the smile lines on my face from the big shit eating grin that happens every time I crack the throttle :D
    Thsdragoon likes this.
  5. bug67

bug67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received the very first Tiger 800 (XC or otherwise) in the state of Alaska. After about a week of riding, a severe chirp developed from the rear wheel area.

Turns out a spacer was improperly installed, over torqued or something, from the factory. I waited for about a week for Triumph HQ in Georgia to cannibalize one of the bikes they had (bike was so new, there were no spare parts in the U.S. much less Alaska) to send a replacement spacer. No problems since.

Never had the stalling issue...even before the tune.
  6. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    One problem I seem to have over and over again is cross threading. I have now successfully cross threaded both main tank bolt threads and one of the four rear top plate bolt threads. I am NOT a person to force threads or force anything that does not work right. I think of all my years working on bikes, cars, and whatever I can get my hands on, this bike has by far given me hell on bolt threads. I don't know the cause. I'm thinking maybe the metal used on the bikes is the cause. Not sure if Triumph uses softer metal on thier bikes... I guess my point is BE CAREFUL!
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I learned long ago never to put a lever (wrench) on the socket until I had the bolt or nut well seated and needed to actually apply torque to finish the fastening. Does it slow me down? Sure. Do I cross thread fasteners? Not any more.
  8. bug67

bug67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :bluduh

Yeah. I was putting the baffle back in my Arrow exhaust* last night. I had to remove the pipe from the bike to do so because I could get my torx driver in there good enough without pulling it. Anyhow, when I was going back, I somehow got the the nut crossed up on the main exhaust hanger bolt. Long story short, I broke the bolt and had to use the hanger bolt from the stock exhaust.

I could have sworn I had the threads lined up and snugged finger tight till the nylock part of the nut caught. That's when I started tightening. SNAP! :bluduh

*Sounds great while actually accelerating but at steady highway speeds, it is a bit too drony for my tastes.
  9. phillipsrog

phillipsrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good timing on this thread. Just went out to take quick ride at lunch and the bike won't turn over. No clicking, no nothing. I get a check engine light, check oil light, ABS flashing and alarm light on (there's oil in the sight gauge, and I don't have an alarm).

I tried disconnecting the battery and same thing happened. I rode to work this morning and everything sounded fine.

Sound familiar to anyone?
  10. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I wouldnt say the perfect thread. Mainly because you dont know the fix... Try to post over here... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599070

is your switch in the on position?
  11. phillipsrog

Oddometer:
    Yep. I checked the basics. I'm guessing it's a computer problem, but that's all it is: just a guess.

Got it started, thought it might be the kickstand switch. Rode it home, tried to restart. Same problem. Lights come one, but hit the start switch and nothing happens.
  12. phillipsrog

Oddometer:
    Read the owners manual. Sounds like the engine immobilizer is the problem. "If the indicator light remains on it indicates that the immobilizer has a malfunction that requires investigation."

That describes my problem. Then it says see a dealer.
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

14. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    I've asked mods to nuke this whole thread. Too many people get offended when someone post about problems they have with a similar bike. I don't get it. Nobody is saying your Tiger is a piece of shit. Quite the opposite.
    However, if a problem comes up it would be nice to know how it was fixed. I could quote at least 20 people having issues on various forums, but that wouldn't do anybody any good. I don't know how it was fixed.

Examples:
    Front end bounce at 40mph
    Pulls to the right when you let go of the bars
    Immobilizer will not let the bike start
    Paint finish on the engine is peeling

I could go on & on......
    Wardog327 likes this.
  15. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Had both of these issues on my XC.

After truing the front wheel, the bounce went away.

After more spoke adjustment to move the wheel in relation to the hub, the drift issue was corrected also.

It could be, for XC models, that the initial spoke torque from the factory is just a bit loose and needs to be looked over after the initial break-in. Once I corrected mine, I have had neither of these issues resurface.

Fixing them didn't take a trip to the dealer or any material expense on my part. I suspect the dealer would have been fine addressing them, but to be honest it was easier to work on it myself.
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This site helps people figure out what's wrong with their bikes.. reading about others' experiences is a good thing.. why waste time trying to diagnose a perceived issue when others have had a similar experience..

Keep it going, someone will appreciate it and learn from it..

If your bike is running perfectly, great.. we don't need to hear about it in this thread.. use the other big Tiger thread. Time to clean up.
  17. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thx :thumb
  18. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is not kosher in here but this happens to the Yammies as well. If you don't read the Manual and don't follow the instructions you end up with a few issues with spokes on occasions. The spokes "bed in" and MAY need to be adjusted over the first few thousand Km. It appears to be fairly typical spoked wheel thing on bikes that do more than smooth tarmac. Once they "Bed in" the problem tends to go away.

Tell me to nuke this if it is not Kosher.
    tokyoklahoma likes this.
  19. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I feel it is relevant information.

Since truing and adjusting my Tiger's front wheel, I have not had any further issues over thousands of miles. Your "bedding in" comment about the spokes would appear to be supported by my experience.
  20. ButtonPushingMonkey

ButtonPushingMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too got the check engine light and wonky gear shifter indications/random neutral light issue. Gear position sensor to blame... "It's backordered and we have no idea when it will be shipped. Could be days, could be weeks, maybe months"

Fantastic.

They said I could ride it till the part comes in but the fuel mapping and such is modified based on what gear you are in so I am not sure about risking it. Besides it would drive me absolutely bonkers to ride a bike less than one year old with a check engine light and randomly changing gear indicator, neutral light flashing at me.

Not feeling so warm and fuzzy about my otherwise great bike right now.