Opinions wated: would you ride this 'road'??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Sidecar Jockey, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.450477,-77.611595&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=17

The title says it all. I live 5 minutes away from the spot marked in the Google Maps link. Its hard to see in the map, because it is blocked by trees, but there is a paved public road, that turns into dirt, and then goes along the power lines. Ignore the "A" on the map, its google's mistake. The dirt road I indicated with the green arrow actually stems from a paved road that splits off of Marker Road, just to the southeast.

I have ridden to the end of the pavement and there are no gates or signs. do you think this dirt 'road' that goes along the power lines is fair game for riding?

If you follow it on goolge maps, you can see the the 'road' or 'trail' follows the power lines for a long way and eventually intersects Park Hall Road here (again, ignore the "A", look at the green arrow):
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.467044,-77.631851&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=17
    There are no signs or gates at this end either.

I really want to explore it, but I cant decide if I should... thoughts?

PS: I just got a 1976 honda xl350 and am dying to explore all of the local dirt roads / trails that I used to drive past without a thought.
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure, not signed why not? It's only a mile or so through there. It does look like it dead-ends at the west end on the top of a hill above the road at a tower.

Two thoughts:
    1) First time if there is any question as to legality go easy. If you do end up somewhere you are not wanted its always better if your are riding/acting courteous (modest speed, little noise & dust), then if OK you can open it up another time.

2) If the route labeled Appalachian Trail which intersects the power-line is non-motorized (national recreation trail?), STAY OFF it!

Bruce
  3. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We regularly ride and explore powerline trails all the time. If it's not marked no trespassing and there aren't any gates I'll go for it. There are a few areas around here where the powerlines cross through hunting leases though - so be mindful of that - especially during hunting season.

Occasionally I've come out the back side of someplace where I see no trespassing signs marking where I just came out of (but there weren't any where I entered). I haven't had any problems but obviously respect the signs when I do see them or know they are there.
  4. DaveStockwell

DaveStockwell Rock Fodder

Oddometer:
    Go for it! Take Pictures! Bring friends! Have fun!
  5. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    That's about 30 minutes from me. Guess I know where I'm riding today.
  6. greentreephrog

greentreephrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why wouldn't you?

I live in a different part of the world, but an early ride in my career of g/s riding was to follow a power line track called the 'Goodradigbee ...', from here north. Later I did it from the same point (it actually begins about 3.5 kms west of the point indicated in the link) south. Both were enjoyable rides, nothing too hard, just a very enjoyable afternoon.

I don't know about your rules, but you can't wait around for the 'AUTHORITY' to give you permission to breathe - if no locked gates, no 'Keep Out' signs', clearly it was made to be used by all.

If they want to keep it to themselves they would indicate that. The government (e.g. the military) knows perfectly well how to do that. God made it to be used - use it.
  7. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    Those are transmission line's and GNT's purchase there R,O,W's from Land owners. Probably private property, But if the Power Company does not have sign's and the property owners have not posted it. I would say you are okay to ride, what looks to be a well established trail. I followed the lines from Sub to Sub but did not see the nearest generation plant or peaking facility, so I couldn't tell who they belong to
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES I would ride it. :ricky
  9. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Me, i would ride it. BUT: in many states, by law motorized use REQUIRES owner's permission EVEN IF NOT POSTED for No Trespassing. Like I bet most suburban homes in your area aren't posted No Trespassing, but that doesn't mean you can go roosting around their house. And it prevents people who would tear down signs and then claim they didn't see any, from getting a free pass.

We may not like such laws and no harm, no foul, but it's not foolproof that there are no signs. The best way to find out if the road is PUBLIC is to check with the township. Like if it shows up on the tax maps (which are often available online; in my town in a different state they are) as a public road. "Private but tolerated" is case-by-case and requires "local knowledge".

In general while powerline riding is often practice and sometimes tolerated, it isn't actually legal. If you actually asked the power company they'd probably say "No".
  10. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    +1 Go for it.
    Around here power lines offer some of the most adventurous ridng there is. Steep granite slabs, deep mud, water crossings, rocky ascents and gnarley descents. Plus you get the opportunity to access areas otherwise inaccessable.
  11. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    There are powerlines here and pipelines that go across public lands that we ride regularly. Generally, the power company has a right of way, but does not own the land that the lines are on.

If it looks like a road, and has no signs restricting access, I'd say ride it. It is sometimes easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
  12. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    I scouted this today. Posted or not, it's a utility company right of way on private property. Enter at your peril.

That said, I didn't see any access to it. The north end at Park Hill is 20' above the road, the south end off of Marker would require a long ride across a farmer's field. I must have blown right past the road you marked just past the dairy, but it sure didn't jump out at me. Looked like nothing but driveways.
  13. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    This. If you look hard enough, you can find a law forbidding you from doing just about anything, and if there isn't, there soon will be. If someone hassles you, just apologize, leave and go find some other road - Don't argue, not worth t.